Indigo

Indigo (Water Tales #2)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  1,353 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Three friends in search of a place to belong find that home is truly where the heart is in this new tale of enchantment from best-selling master storyteller Alice Hoffman.

13 year-old Martha Glimmer is convinced this is the worst time of her life. Her mother died, she grew 7 inches, and she has to put up with a woman who plys Martha's lonely father with food and opinions ab...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Indigo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indigo

Discoverylover
Jan 11, 2009 Discoverylover rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: water lovers
Recommended to Discoverylover by: WingedMan
A really good friend sent me this last April because we are both huge water lovers! A really charming (short) children's book, I re-read this every so often just because :-)

"Oak Grove is a dry, dusty town haunted by memories of a past flood. Everyone dreads the water - except two brothers, Trevor and Eli McGill. Nicknamed Trout and Eel for their darting quickness and the thin webbing between their fingers and toes, the boys dream of the farthest seas of a mysterious past they barely remember.

Mar...more
Kimberly
I kept on reading when Aquamarine was finished in the book I have that has both stories. The quote "A real friend believes in you when you don't believe in yourself..." immediatly struck me. I'll keep reading. . . .

Two more quotes struck me this afternoon while reading:
"sometimes words spoken are the ones you've been afraid to think, but once they're said aloud there's no way to make them disappear."

"...of how hard it was to leave behind the people you loved, even if the life you wanted wasn't...more
Emily Ann
I wanted to like this, but I thought that the author tried to do too many things in too short of a book and it came out jumpy and disjointed. It is a very quick read (even for YA books), so perfectly worth it if you are interested in the concept. However, while I felt like I was shown some brief flashes of insights into characters/back stories/etc, they never followed through. I was left feeling like I walked through the middle of a conversation and never understood what was really happening.

Julie Suzanne
More like a long, mediocre short story about discovering who you are, despite what society or parents try to mold you into. It was okay, and the reason I'll keep it in my classroom library and maybe recommend it to a reluctant, low-level reader, is that they would be able to get through it, which may inspire them to keep reading novels. It's nothing that will change anyone's life, though.

A bit of fantasy in an unrealistic story that is supposed to seem realistic.
Linda Lipko
Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors.

Indigo has the feel of a young adult book, yet contains all the adult like magical realism that Hoffman is adept at writing.

The town of Oak Grove was flooded years ago and the inhabitants now are obsessive about keeping the town dry.

Martha Glimmer is weary of dry and longs for the beauty of water. Her two friends are bullied and made fun of by town folk. Their webbed hands and crystal clear eyes make them a target.

Martha's mother died; Trout and Eel ar...more
Kris
I am a huge fan of Alice Hoffman’s books for adults like Practical Magic, The Probable Future and Here on Earth. I was so excited to see her in the juvenile fiction stacks. It is a short book, less than 100 pages, but a full tale where Hoffman covers a range of emotions and rich details in this book.

Martha Glimmer has lost her mother. Her father is too sad to pay any real attention to her. They live in a town that was devastated by a flood many years ago. There is a real fear of water there amo...more
Justin
This fantasy follows the lives of one ordinary girl, named Martha Glimmer, and her friendship with two unordinary adopted brothers named Trevor and Eli McGill. Trevor and Eli, nicknamed Trout and Eel, are not like the other kids in town, they have webbing in between their fingers and toes. The town, after suffering from a devastating flood when the river overflowed, dammed up the river and are scared of having a large body of water in town. Trout and Eel's adoptive parents are very adamant that...more
Lydia
Don't let the slimness of this book fool you: it is a full, rich story told in a quick way and in a short amount of time. Every word and phrase is chosen carefully, and the characters are so intricately described and woven together, one will find oneself wishing for a sequel when the book finally comes to completion.

Martha Glimmer has had a terrible year. Her mother has died and a woman who doesn't like kids has taken over her grieving father's life. In addition, Martha has strange friends. One...more
Nathan Burgoine
This is another of the (three?) young adult novels written by Alice Hoffman, who is a favourite of mine (she wrote "Practical Magic," which is hands down one of my favourite books, ever). This is an even shorter tale than the first young adult Hoffman I read, "Green Angel."

Basically, the tale of "Indigo," is the tale of a young girl, Martha Glimmer, who is coming of age in a painful environment - her father is currently quite numb after the death of her mother nearly a year earlier, and her thir...more
Melanie Demyer
Indigo by Alice Hoffman is set in a mythical town of Oak Grove, blocked off from water since the "big flood" several years before. The story is set around Martha, whose mother had died, and her two friends, who are brothers, Trout and Eel. It is an imaginative read, but I wasn't impressed with the way the book was written. It felt like an adult trying (and failing) to write from a thirteen-year-old's prospective. I say thirteen because that is how old the protagonist is, but with the run on sent...more
Omar S.
A book about 2 brothers who miss the ocean. They love the water in unimaginable ways. There is a reason behind it. The 2 brothers live in a very dry area where it almost never rains. They miss the ocean so the brothers beg their father, hoping to go back to the ocean. I think you should read it because it’s a really short but good book.

The point of the book was that 2 brothers miss the ocean. They want to go back but their father won’t let them. They beg and beg but they don’t get to go back....more
Charlotte Copp
Indigo by Alice Hoffman is an “enchanting” book about three teenagers from Oak Grove, “a dry, duty town haunted by memories if a past flood.” Eli and Trevor McGill nicknamed Eel and Trout because of the webbing on their feet and hands; and their friend Martha who dreams of dancing under the stars want to escape Oak Grove. Their memories of the past seem to follow them everywhere in Oak Grove’; running away to the ocean seems like the best choice for the tree friends.
I remember getting this book...more
Lea
Feb 01, 2012 Lea rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls age 10 - 15
Recommended to Lea by: a student
A very enthusiastic student recommended I read this book when she found out that I'd read other Alice Hoffman novels. This is the story of two brothers, "Trout" and "Eel", who live in Oak Grove, a town once devastated by a flood. The townsfolk have gone out of their way to prevent another tragedy of that sort, ensuring that their town the driest around. The boys are plagued by dreams of the past, and they long to see the ocean. Did I mention their webbed hands? Aided by their best friend, Martha...more
Chris Gager
Another rescued book from the transfer station. I assume this is a YA book. Very short with a magical premise... mermaids etc. I read three shorties last night so I could print a new page for my "books read" notebook. This is OK-ish but not really for an adult. 2.75* rounds up to 3*.
Leila Osman
Jun 02, 2013 Leila Osman rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Leila by: No one
Ok.....I started this book expecting something really interesting but....but.....I want to love but. Just can't bring my self to liking it.
This is the only Alice Hoffman book I've read but iam not sure this style of writing is my thing. I've seen in the comments that lots of you like her.
Ok I admit it iam into really crappy romances. Romance is what is missing form this book.
All i wanted all the way through it was for Martha and Trevor to get together it kind of hints at the start that they will...more
Stephannestacey Stacey
Perhaps it's because this is the second book of the water tales and I did not know that before I read it so I hadn't read the first book, or (and I suspect this is the case) this is a book that was lacking Alice's intuitive short story wisdom. It's a read that you can do while waiting for your child to get a hair cut, but I wouldn't waste your time, even as short of time as that my be. Personally I love to read Alice Hoffman's books. They are simple in the story telling, but complex in the moral...more
Al_jessica Eaton
This short easy read takes you to the town of Oak Grove where water is a feared enemy. The main characters are the outcasts of town, two brothers with webbed fingers and toes and their close friend who recently lost her mother. Tired of being picked on and ostracized by other people in town, the trio decide to run away and head towards the ocean. However, as soon as they head out of town, a mysterious and terrible storm suddenly arrives, threatening the people they left behind as well as their f...more
Ivy
Sep 12, 2009 Ivy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Younger readers, people who like fantasy
Recommended to Ivy by: My sister
Mostly, this book was just rather juvenile.
The story itself wasn't to bad - Martha, still recovering from her mother's death, finds friends in two other people in the town who don't fit in, brothers Trevor and Eli, called Trout and Eel because of the webbing between their fingers and toes.
Everyone in the town is terrified of water because of a disastrous flood that occurred years before, but Trout and Eel want nothing more than to see the ocean, and Martha just wants to get away.
This book would...more
Jenna
A simple little water-esque story with a magical twist. I think I prefer Alice Hoffman when she writes for the younger set. (After reading a few of her novels for adults, I realize she just uses the same plot, elements, and stock characters over and over again.)

The only thing that keeps thirteen-year-old Martha going is her friendship with a pair of brothers, Trevor and Eli. When the town they live in experiences a massive flood, the two extraordinary brothers reveal a secret in order to help th...more
ThePenguinReader
a weird, short little story but i still enjoyed it.
Liney_doirnan
FINTASTIC! (get it fintastic?) The last time I read this book was about 3-4 years ago. The book was great! I did not know this book was the second in the series. It is a great read for kids,
Christine
I bought this at a school book sale (way back) and threw it on our shelf. I was looking for a quick read for my reluctant reader and it was less than $3. Perfect. It was rediscovered when my son needed to find an age appropriate book for his summer reading assignment. He liked the slimness of the book. We were shocked to find out that this was for older readers 6-8th grade / 980 L. I thought I better read it before him, but that was not the case with this book. It was cleverly written. P. S. I k...more
J.C.
I did not get the point of this book.
Nicole Norton
I liked this book. It was nice. I definitely feel that it would be for younger young adults, like ages 10-13, but it was a very nice, short book. Maybe it would be a good book for kids who don't like to read as much, especially if they liked to swim or liked the ocean. I enjoyed the simple nature of the book and, again, feel that it would be a nice choice for younger readers.

Violence: 0
Drugs: 0
Sexual References: 0
Language: 1 (I don't quite remember, but there might be one swear word)
General Unco...more
Michael Elrod
This was a great book. Within its pages it contained humor, adventure, a bit of mystery, and some mild romance. I liked how brief it was! Had it continued on much longer it could've easily lost credibility. I thought it was perfect length for the story it told. I liked Martha, I also liked the quick unfolding of the climax, or mystery of the story. Overall, I'm glad I read it.

Warning: Teens run-away, disliking of father's new girl, and mild fairy-tale elements (difficult book to produce warnings...more
Andd Becker
Mr. McGill, the father of Eel and Trout, is hydrophobic.
Students can explore the symbolism in this allegory.
Rebekah
I picked this up at a book fair, wanting to see what Hoffman was doing for children. The style, storytelling, prose and plot are all similar to her adult novels, but the short length of the story and the quick ending made me think Hoffman needs to stick to novels.

Young readers will find the story interesting, and who can complain about beautiful, descriptive language, but I was left disappointed, knowing there are so many other books she has written that are better.
Ianreamsiepoo Reames
Mar 05, 2008 Ianreamsiepoo Reames rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Ianreamsiepoo by: Myself
This book was a great tail of loving someone for whats in the inside and not whats on the outside. The story of Martha and her two best friends Trevor and Eli doing whatever it takes to escape the town of Oak Grove. Martha is willing to go anywhere that her two friends want to go, which is Ocean City. When i started reading this I couldnt put it down. I think that if you are interested in books about loyalty you should really pick this up.
Dayna Smith
Thirteen-year-old Martha has two very strange best friends. Trout and Eel are brothers who love being near water and have webbed toes and fingers. All three long to get away from their very dry and waterless town. The threesome decide to run away, but their escape attempt is cut short by a fierce storm. Is the storm a blessing or a curse? Will their questions about themselves finally be answered? A very short, but compelling book.
Carol Hardesty
In this spiritual sequel to "Aquamarine", Alice Hoffman once again creates a merfolk story worth reading. How she captures so much emotion in so few words never fails to amaze me. The main trio of Martha, Trevor, and Eli are all likable; it's easy to both feel for and cheer them on. "Indigo" effortlessly blends together enchantment and reality, just like a great fantasy should. It's a tale that deserves to find a bigger audience.
  • Stormswept (Ingo, #5)
  • Miss Popularity and the Best Friend Disaster (Miss Popularity #3; Candy Apple #28)
  • Selkie Girl
  • The Islander
  • Just Grace Walks the Dog
  • Katie, Batter Up! (Cupcake Diaries, #5)
  • Mermaid Park
  • Phoenix Rising
  • Starting with Alice
  • The Mermaid Summer
  • Witch's Business
  • You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown
  • Shakespeare's Scribe (Shakespeare Stealer, #2)
  • May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Not Like You
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Land of the Midnight Sun (Emily Windsnap, #5)
  • The Power of Poppy Pendle
Alice Hoffman was born in New York City on March 16, 1952 and grew up on Long Island. After graduating from high school in 1969, she attended Adelphi University, from which she received a BA, and then received a Mirrellees Fellowship to the Stanford University Creative Writing Center, which she attended in 1973 and 74, receiving an MA in creative writing. She currently lives in Boston and New York...more
More about Alice Hoffman...
The Dovekeepers Here on Earth Practical Magic The Ice Queen The Red Garden

“He believed in dreams, in endings that people told you could never happen, in disappointments reversed and luck that lasted.” 9 likes
“At midnight the wind in the tress can sound like the ocean. The moonlight can make a road appear as endless as the sea.” 7 likes