Start by marking “Writing Popular Fiction” as Want to Read:
Writing Popular Fiction

Writing Popular Fiction

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From dust jacket notes: "...In this book, Dean Koontz, whose own books have sold more than 25 million copies, shares his insight into the publishing world and shows writers how to write the kind of book that a publisher can promote as a lead title - a well-written, thoroughly researched, complex, wide-appeal novel that can sell the millions of copies necessary to finance a ...more
Published December 1st 1972 by Writers Digest (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Popular Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Popular Fiction

Eustacia Tan
Previously, I talked about how Tell Lies for Fun and Profit taught me a bit about writing. Well, after that, I went to hunt down more books about writing and found Writing Popular Fiction by Dean Koontz. And you know what? It taught me a lot about plot.

Basically, the book deals with category fiction, and then in each category, discusses the basic plot-types, plot pitfalls and things that are absolutely necessary to include if you want your book to sell. In fact, compared to Manual for Fiction Wr
Timothy McNeil
A lot has changed since the mid-1970s, especially if one is writing about that period while still cognizant of the lingering impact of the late-1960s. It would be wrong to think that the market for fiction is anywhere near the same. While the shift is likely less jarring than the pre- to post-Hemingway era of American literature, genre fiction – the subject of Dean R. Koontz's Writing Popular Fiction (1974) – one must consider how different the world is the more recent now.

Koontz was writing ab
Mary Crabtree
Don't be turned off by the boldness of the title. This is really a good book for anyone that wants to write. Koontz offers advice on pacing, voice, point of view and even his recommended reading list. It's out of print, hard to find and kinda expensive but well worth the trouble.
A generous look at some of Koontz's tricks of the trade.
Jaylia3
Out of print but worth getting your hands on even if you only fantasize about writing fiction. My daughter grew up with this book and wanted to take it to college because it is such a pleasure--using one of his exercises we made up a title for a book we haven't yet written--Orbiting Body Parts.
Tim Williams
I have no doubt this was a fantastic book in the '70's. For the things about genre writing that are timeless, it is spot on, unfortunately, tastes and the market have changed since then and as a result large chunks of this book are now irrelevant. Still, there is value to be had here and even the parts that talk about now forgotten genres/sub-genres are worth the quick review. There is inspiration into how to handle newer genre fiction that wasn't a thought yet then - if you dig and think.
Cynthia Vespia
This may be a little dated but the advice is still sound. A learned quite a few new tricks to improve my writing and marketing, including the fact that Koontz recommends a specific page count everyday in order to release more novels within a years time frame.
Tim Potter
Out-of-print and almost impossible to find, this is a great book on the craft, written before Koontz became a mega-seller.
Evan
It is no fault of the author that some sections of this book are terribly out of date; it was written in 1972, and markets and tastes have changed. But a lot of the writing advice is still solid, especially the first chapter, "Hammer, Nails, and Wood."

For anybody seeking direction on how to understand and employ the requirements and forms of genre fiction, this book remains the only one of its kind by a writer whose publication record is proof that his advice is worth taking.
Stephanie
Although an older book, I have used this guide many times. Dean has stated that he does not wish others to read or use this book as he wrote it when he was so young and so much has changed over the years. I can't say that I agree with him totally as I have found a lot of his information has withstood the test of time. It is rare to find for cheap and I'm hoping he will do another writing guide in the near future.
Lonnie
Interesting insight from a best selling author before he became as large as he is. Some of the items mentioned were very dated but funny that Koontz was ahead of his time on a couple of others. The funniest tidbit about this book comes directly from Koontz's website: " He suggests this book is only for collectors who are completists, and he doesn’t recommend that anyone turn to it for valuable writing advice."
Jay Deb
I think all new authors like myself should read this book. This book was written decades back. It is still relevant because the basic tenets of writing, as book correctly says, has not changes. It covers topics from plot, scene, dialogue and character development so nicely and completely.
Kara
I think a lot of what this book has to offer is outdated, but it's still an excellent resource for those who want to learn to write, and learn from one of the best.

I don't own this book- it's a library book. :) Hence the special shelf.
Fredrick Danysh
An instruction manual on who to write fiction by a multi-published author. Questions with answers are distributed throughout the book.
Stephen
Absolutely essential. Did you pay attention to what I just said? GO OUT AND GET THIS OLD BOOK AND READ IT!
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Grace Adell
Grace Adell marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Lynn Lauderdale
Lynn Lauderdale marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Sadeyjade
Sadeyjade marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Matt Anderson
Matt Anderson marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Betina Kroner
Betina Kroner marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Danny Runkel
Danny Runkel marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Katie Kenig
Katie Kenig marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Alan Mendelsohn
Alan Mendelsohn is currently reading it
May 27, 2015
Sarah Gilson
Sarah Gilson marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Sarah Petrin
Sarah Petrin marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Jennifer Hoberg
Jennifer Hoberg marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
  • The Dark Symphony
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • Demon Child
  • Surrounded (Tucker Series, Book 2)
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • World-Building
  • Aliens and Alien Societies
  • The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
  • Dragonfly
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy (Writing Series)
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
  • Nevermore

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms