Start by marking “About the B'nai Bagels” as Want to Read:
About the B'nai Bagels

About the B'nai Bagels

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  29 reviews
THE REAL NAME of the Little League team was the B'nai B'rith, but everyone called them the B'nai Bagels. Their manager was Bessie Setzer, but every one called her Mother Bagel, and the team grew to love her and even Spencer, Brother Bagel, their coach.

Which was fine for everyone but Mark Setzer. For him it made problems. Because with a mother as manager and a brother as c

Published March 1st 1985 by Dell (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about About the B'nai Bagels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About the B'nai Bagels

Jason
This book is a book where Mark or Moshe as his mother calls him plays through a little league sason of baseball with the problems a regular kid has. Having to win back a friend, trying to get better, and he has to do his bar mitzah. Then it gets more serious as his mother is the manager of his team and so is his brother as a coach. Now Mark has more complex problems like having to deal with a rasict kid calling him a "Jew"

I can connect to the world how people are all racist whether they want to
Tory
3.5 stars - an all-American, 1960s story of adolescence, family and baseball.

"Barry Jacobs and Hersch came to watch, too. They kept close to each other, and at first, I stayed with them. But we were like two fingers and a thumb, me being the thumb, a bit shorter and fatter and separated." Oh, the third-wheel thumb. It is definitely a sore experience to stick out.

"'MOTHER: 'I'm more worried that if he finds that he can't have that little corner of privacy at home, he'll look somewhere else for it
Mark Katz
This review is belated to the tune of 42 years, but having heard of E.L. Konigsburg's passing, I feel compelled to write about one of the favorite books of my adolescence, About the B'nai Bagels. My 11 year old self was captivated by Mark who seemed so much like me: a Jewish boy starting to come to grips with himself and his place in the world. Unlike Konigsburg's Mark, I wasn't on a baseball team and God did not live in the light fixture in my kitchen; but so much of his life felt authentic to ...more
Rhonda
I remember my fourth grade teacher reading this book aloud to the class the year it came out. For a girl growing up in the Midwestern suburbs, it was a revelation. I wouldn't even see a real bagel until I went to college eight years later. Re-reading it as an adult allowed me to see how good a writer Konigsberg truly was. She wove very adult themes such as anti-semitism into a "children's book" with sensitivity, while telling a very relatable, very funny story about family and about America's fa ...more
Badiss
The protagonist of this book is Mark Setzer who is a young kid. Mark has a lot of stuff on his mind. He is nervous about his upcoming bar mitzvah, and he doesnt see his best friend anymore. Mark's mother becomes a manager of a little league baseball team, which Mark is on. The team does well and they go onto the championship. Mark has a major secret, but he doesnt want to tell anyone.

I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone, just by looking at the cover of the book i was able to predict
Becca
Eh. Probably my least favorite of all of her books that I've read. A lot of that is that the mom is straight out of the 1960's. Which in her defense is when the book was written.
Jeffrey
My homage to Konigsburg continues - I am finding it interesting to see the sheer range of subjects that she covered in her fictions but I have to say that the books that I have really enjoyed the most are all about keeping secrets - Jamie and Claudia in the Metropolitan Museum; the quartet in View from Saturday who have layers and layers of secrets to uncover and the secret of whether or not Caroline is or isn't really who she says in Father's Arcane Daughter - B'nai Bagels is lively and paints ...more
Josiah
How can I adequately relate just how much this book meant to me? The wisdom of E.L. Konigsburg, spoken at such unexpected turns throughout the book, is some of the most purely insightful reading that I have EVER seen, ANYWHERE. The things said in this book were at times so shockingly perceptive, as if E.L. Konigsburg had a direct connection to my heart, that I would reread a line (or entire paragraph) again and again and again, not wanting to move on to the rest of the book. I simply cannot und ...more
Heather
Reading level 5.4

An Ok story about baseball team and friendship (and how it changes) I just didn't love how the author used hiding a "playgirl" as a means to show that a boy needs some privacy, or that it was his right, it was a little weird to me. The book isn't my favoirte anyway, although it explored learning about different people (the main character is a Jew) and how others view you based on what you "are" Also about how big brother's grow up and change. But it was a little weird for me. Pr
Keilani Ludlow
I have found most of this author's books to be delightful little bites of life. This book is the same. Not a specific plot per se, just a piece out of a family's life told from the perspective of the nearly 12 year old son. Love the Jewish families. Don't know why, just do. It's like reading about a pioneer or pilgrim or mining family, it just fits as a little piece of American life with the deligthful language/word usage that is singular to eastern American Jewish families, mixed up with the fu ...more
Mirele Kessous
This is a coming-of-age story told from a 12 yr. old boy's perspective. It's rather dated, but it's an interesting glimpse into the culture of New York City Jewry in the 1970's. The mother is quite a character.
The boy's mom becomes the manager of his baseball team. Can she turn it into a success? Memorable characters, tender, realistic, but a little predictable for adults.
Melissa
Sep 03, 2007 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anonymously evil campers of Tigerclaw
The book that Konigsburg wrote AFTER Mixed-Up Files, this book is a delicious stew of hapless Little Leaguers, a Jewish mother who addresses God through the ceiling lamp, and nickel-a-peep Playboy entrepeneurs. Watch this unlikely team of misfits go through a kooky training period where it seems like... well, it seems like nothing is going to go right.
Sloan Cherry
This is a great book that no one knows about. It's about a boy who's mother Nd brother coach his baseball team. The boy is 12 years old and is having a lot of problems in his live. People are making fun of him because his mom is coaching his team, he is always getting into fights with his brother and he doesn't have a lot of friends. Very realistic.
Katie
The story is sweet, but wow--does this book show its age. The funniest thing to me was the whole "Playgirl" side story. It wasn't until about halfway through the book that I realized it wasn't just bad editing, that "Playgirl" hadn't actually been invented when this was published and it was Konigsburg's pseudonym for "Playboy".
colleen
a fun read about a little league team. mark's mom becomes the manager and his older brother is the coach. and mark's bar mitzvah is approaching. Not only does he grow up in the eyes of his religious community, but he also grows up on the baseball field. great ending.
Dorian
What's not to love? Jews, baseball, even, yes, bagels.

Among other things I was struck by the sophistication of the book. There's quite a funny joke about the Ford Foundation, for example. Hard to imagine that in a book for preteens today.
Molly
I love Konigsburg -- and this does have her trademark wit and sparkly style -- but I'm sorry to say I still couldn't get in to it. There's something about it -- the hippie college brother, the language -- that feels dated.
elissa
Konigsburg was my favorite author for awhile (around age 10), and I read all of the books of hers that I could find. I think someone who likes baseball would especially like this one of hers.
Kyle
Written in 1969. Mark Setzer has to have his mother and brother as manager and coach or his B'nai B'rith little league team. The boys pay a nickel for a peek at Playboy. Cute.
Ron
Interesting tale of a boy and his relationships as they change during a season of Little League. My son continues reading through E. L. Konigsburg.
Colleen
This is my husband's favorite book so I read it when I was feeling down and found it a well written-comforting story about childhood struggles.
Hana Bi
This book was hard to read because it spoke the truth about relationships. It hurt where it hit. It was a homerun for me.
Caren
I wasn't thrilled. I liked it until it was about how 12 year old boys should have the right to look at Playboy.
Jacob Chreky
Ryan
This is a funny, good, novel about a boy who's mom coaches a baseball team.
Maya
Being a Jew, I can totally relate.
Flannery
E.L. Konigburg Weeks 2012, Book 5.
Bob ren
  • Big Max
  • The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues
  • Image on the Edge: The Margins of Medieval Art
  • The Ogre Downstairs
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • Dandelion
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • Mitch and Amy
  • The Beast in Ms. Rooney's Room (The Kids of the Polk Street School #1)
  • Jelly Belly
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love
Elaine Lobl Konigsburg was an American author and illustrator of children's books and young adult fiction. She was the only author to win the Newbery Medal and a Newbery Honor in the same year (1968), with her second and first books respectively: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth. Kongisburg won a second Newbery ...more
More about E.L. Konigsburg...
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler The View from Saturday Silent to the Bone The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth