Start by marking “Schmidt Delivered (Schmidt, #2)” as Want to Read:
Schmidt Delivered (Schmidt, #2)

Schmidt Delivered (Schmidt)

Recently widowed, Albert Schmidt has triumphantly rediscovered domestic bliss in the Hamptons with Carrie, the Puerto Rican waitress who is younger than his daughter. Schmidt is content with keeping his own hours and steering his own course, even as he becomes entertained--and increasingly ensnared-- by the odd billionaire Michael Mansour. Among Schmidt's other heartbreaks ...more
Published October 30th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Schmidt Delivered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schmidt Delivered

Jeffrey Keeten
May 31, 2013 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”She wore the smallest of bikinis. Strings around her waist and between her legs that held in place a triangle of red cloth. Two smaller triangles of the same cloth attached to strings covered her nipples. Unbroken, luxurious tan; a salacious invitation to dream of the hours she spent lying in the sun naked. He took her in proudly, noting that even her feet were brown. A savage virgin goddess: no, a temple whore, ministering to adepts of Eastern mysteries. When she untied the cotton kerchief she ...more
William1
Jun 03, 2012 William1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, us, 20-ce
Author Begley was a lawyer for a large New York firm before retiring, I believe, at sixty or so. He is a superb writer. This is the second volume of what is so far a trilogy. I’ve yet to read the third volume, just out, called Schmidt Steps Back.

When we last saw Schmidt at the end of About Schmidt he had miraculously secured the favors of a 25 year old beauty for himself (he's in his early sixties), had become estranged from his wacky daughter who has a tendency to make decisions that go against
Joyce
Everything you need to know about WASPs? It's a bleak picture that Begley paints in both this book and the earlier "About Schmidt". I checked out both from the library at the same time, or probably wouldn't have read the second. Dunno.

It's a very arid moral landscape the Alfred Schmidt inhabits. Retired lawyer, from a "good" firm, living in the Hamptons with a very young girlfriend. Why she stays? One of the mysteries of life, I guess. Schmidt's veneer of good manners, good breeding and moderate
Laurie Stoll
Dec 26, 2013 Laurie Stoll rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
There were a couple things that kept me from enjoying this story. First is the fact that there are no quotation marks used in Schmidt Delivered. This made it confusing for me to follow. Sometimes Schmidt would be talking and other times he would be thinking...

Also, the description on the inside jacket begins with the words Albert Schmidt proud gentleman........I guess I should have read a little further. I don't understand how proud gentleman turns into a live in girlfriend younger than Schmidt'
Jgknobler
Sep 09, 2014 Jgknobler rated it liked it
Although I enjoy Begley on the subjects of money and ungrateful children, his preoccupation with beautiful sexy young women is beginning to jar. In fact, in this novel, he slyly has a late-appearing minor character, a writer, a "prick" and an anti-semite who is "100% Jewish," discuss how all his books except the first are about men screwing young women, I believe he says people find them"unpleasant," but I couldn't find this passage when I went looking, so perhaps it is only me who finds them ...more
Ilona
Jul 30, 2016 Ilona rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on, 2016
I read and enjoyed the first Schmidt book, but this one, I just couldn't stomach, primarily because I absolutely loathed his awful, awful daughter. I abhor it when adults acts like petulant 14-year-olds. She was absolutely insufferable, and I could not force myself to finish a book that involved her as much as this one did. Ugh.
Stephanie
Dec 11, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was ok
You know those books you keep reading because you think it has to get better? Well, this one does, but the ending is not so good as to offset all the time spent reading about a whiny old man, his slutty girlfriend, and his bitchy daughter. Blech.
Ann Marie Marie
May 13, 2009 Ann Marie Marie rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Wasn't too sure when I first started it, but I loved the setting although I had never been to the Hamptons and the characters were a whacky bunch. The satire made the book worth reading for me. It reminded me of the Rabbit books by Updike.
Marion
Jul 12, 2012 Marion rated it really liked it
Even better than About Schmidt because Schmidt begins to grow up and develops some compassion. He also matures in his relationship with his estranged daughter.
It's wry humor wraps around the wisdom that comes from living a flawed life and slowly awakening to personal consequences.
Dick Muir
Aug 26, 2012 Dick Muir rated it really liked it
A continuation of the wonderful story of middle age angst and life after early or forced retirement.
Marilyn
Jul 02, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was disappointing in many ways. I have the 3rd book in this series in my book bag--I hope that one is better.
Ron
May 26, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it
The second in the Schmidt series. Another well-crafted Begley effort, with a simpler plot line than his first one, and shorter in length. Schmidt does grow on one, after one gets used to him!
Lauri
Sep 04, 2012 Lauri rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not quite as good as the first Schmidtie book, but enjoyable nonetheless...I can follow the foibles of Schmidtie for some time to come, he is never boring (even though he thinks he is!)
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Margarita
Margarita rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2007
Eva
Eva rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Sharron
Sharron rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2009
aldo zirsov
aldo zirsov rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2009
Walter
Walter rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Guy
Guy rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Lsdelaney
Lsdelaney rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Guntramruecker
Guntramruecker rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Pammie
Pammie rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Bruce Mcintosh
Bruce Mcintosh rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Irene
Irene rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2013
  • The Narcissist's Daughter
  • Stripper Lessons
  • The Heart of the Night
  • Bandbox
Louis Begley is an American novelist.

Begley was born Ludwik Begleiter in Stryi at the time part of Poland and now in Ukraine, as the only child of a physician. He is a survivor of the Holocaust due to the multiple purchases of Aryan papers by his mother and constant evasion of the Nazis. They survived by pretending to be Polish Catholic. The family left Poland in the fall of 1946 and settled in N
More about Louis Begley...

Schmidt (3 books)
  • About Schmidt (Schmidt, #1)
  • Schmidt Steps Back: A Novel