Menemukan Bakat Istimewa Anak

Menemukan Bakat Istimewa Anak

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  738 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Otak yang berbeda belajar dengan cara yang berbeda, tulis Dr. Mel Levine, seorang pakar pendidikan anak terkemuka di Amerika Serikat. Dan ini merupakan masalah berat bagi sebagian anak, karena sebagian besar sekolah masih menerapkan falsafah belajar "satu untuk semua". Tidak mengherankan bila ini menyebabkan banyak murid yang harus berjuang keras karena pola belajar mereka...more
436 pages
Published December 2004 by Gramedia (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Menemukan Bakat Istimewa Anak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Menemukan Bakat Istimewa Anak

Marci
EVERY TEACHER SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!!! I am happiest (professionally-speaking) when I am doing these types of assessments and diagnostics on kids. It "floats my boat" so to speak! ;) I LOVE figuring out what makes kids tick--which is why I went back to graduate school...and will be going back again someday. It is so exciting to me to watch a once struggling, worn-down student understand how his/her brain works, and then feel some sense of success in the classroom because of that understanding! S...more
Cathy Campbell
Good social skills information and learning styles. Megan Scatena went to a school district sponsored seminar by the author of this book and recommended the book to me. Additionally, Jason's school sponsors talks by the author. I am two chapters into the book and finding it very interesting! It talks about the different ways in which students and children process information and where different breakdowns may occur. It also presents quite a bit of information on social skill issues.
Jody
It's always sad to read about those students who don't get enough of the teacher's time... I just can't figure out how to give each student in the class of 25-35 sufficient time. Reduce class sizes? Nonsense- that would be too expensive. Let's just guilt the teachers because they aren't teaching the special ed students all of the individual ways that they should be taught.
Shannon
I loved this book for the understanding it gave me of the breadth of different learning styles. It confirms my belief that everyone's smart in their own way and gives me greater resolve to try harder to recognize others' specific strengths and acknowledge them. I wish every parent and school teacher would read this book.
Amanda
Dr. Levine's approach to learning is both refreshing and inspiring. He believes that each child is unique and therefor each child's learning style is unique. In the book he outlines the major neurological functions that are key to learning, how they function, why they are important, and where breakdowns can occur, as well as provides methods to circumvent these breakdowns while working to repair them. He also emphasizes the fact that not everyone has to be good at everything - strengths AND weak...more
Kirsten Hobbs
I like Levine's compassion, acceptance, and understanding of all kids, with all different sorts of minds.

This book was very packed with information. Certainly the kind of book you would want to keep handy as a reference because there is no way to digest and remember all the information shared. That being said, it was a good overview to many various learning functions and dysfunctions, and if nothing else, it helped me see that there is a lot of hope for every child, no matter their mind.

Levine...more
Marcy
Jul 15, 2008 Marcy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
Recommended to Marcy by: a course I will be taking
Dr. Mel Levine helps parents and teachers recognize the strengths that children have first, then work with the weaknesses. It is important for teachers to recognize that all students do NOT have to be treated the same because all minds are different and need choices. Teachers' jobs are to help students raise self-esteem and make way for their strengths.

If I currently had a child with issues, I would call Dr. Levine's staff, get on a plane with my child, and get moving to receive the best "profi...more
Manderson
This was a book assigned for a class I am taking on "differentiating instruction", and I stopped reading this book after several chapters. What I feel about this book is the same way I feel about the concept of "learning styles"--as an educator, I think it's interesting, but I don't find it particularly useful.

I like Levin's overall message and I agree with it. Children must be acknowledged as unique individuals with their own specific needs, most especially those children whose brains don't fun...more
Elise
A wonderful book for parents, teachers or anyone interested in better understanding their child, their student or own learning strengths and weaknesses. Dr. Levine breaks down our neurodevelopment systems into 8 systems; some people are strong in certain areas while others are strong in other areas yet no one is capable of being strong in all 8 (despite our society applying tremendous pressure for our children to be good at everything!)

1) Attention Control System
2) Memory System
3) Language Syste...more
Ginger
This book is helpful to realize how unique each child is and that they all have strengths and weaknesses. I am amazed as I teach children by their individual differences. At this time I am teaching two of my granddaughters. They are sisters, less than two years apart. I love watching their tastes, talents and difficulties.

A few years ago I read and took a class about the theory of multiple intelligences developed by Dr. Howard Gardner. He is on the right track and also believes there are innume...more
Greg Fisher
I read this and a companion book because of my son. This was at a time when he was going to pre-school for special needs students. We knew he was albino with severe vision problems (possibly legally blind) and I felt I needed to understand the different ways kids learn and fail to learn and how we can overcome them -- as parents and teachers -- to help a child get through school and get ready for life.

The following year we learned from a pediatric neurologist that he is also autistic. It’s too s...more
Paul
A book more for parents who are stuggling on how to help their child with school, both academically and socially. Levine gives all the ways the mind can work.

My problem as a teacher is that he makes the assumption that teachers don't have much of a clue how to deal with thinking differences. I think that is untrue.

Another problem is that he never goes after motivation. If you have two students who are struggling with fine motor skills, for example, and one busts their butt to work on this defici...more
Vickie
Overall, I liked it and he made some great points. However, there are two ways of diagnosing, as he points out: lumping and splitting. I think he splits (emphasizing unique differences between individuals) a bit too much. He basically says he doesn't think it's worth diagnosing problems like ADD or Aspergers because everyone is such an individual. Having twin brothers who are very different but each having both of those disorders, I think it is more appropriate to balance lumping and splitting....more
Robyn
I adore this book and need to re-read it. I saw him on Oprah many years ago- before Oprah became quacky- and really loved what he said about different learning styles. Being an excited new parent, I picked this up when my son was just an infant. I clearly remember laughing at the chapter he devoted to the child that doesn't have copious amounts of motor control. The child that can't sharpen a pencil, cut with scissors or use glue because they use too much force. I thought that was hilarious and...more
Crystal
There is a lot of great information about learning and brain science. However, I felt like there was too much for me glean. By the time I finished one chapter, I couldn't remember all the great tips from the last one. This book could be a course of study for a few months. I think that as a supplement to a class on child brain development it would be very helpful. I just wish it were more parent friendly and easier to find the sections that are relelvant to my children. I'm glad it was suggested...more
Carin
I read this book as a required text in one of my Masters classes. It was so interesting! It talks about the different ways in which students and children process information and where different breakdowns may occur in that process which would cause students to have problems. Sometimes these problems can manifest themselves and be misdiagnosed as ADHD or Asperger's, ext. It also talks about ADD/ADHD and how it is over diagnosed. It is so interesting and it makes a lot of sense. I think it is a mu...more
Deirdre Keating
I liked it but wish I hadn't purchased it. I like Levine's attitude, and his perspective on the influence of teachers and peers. Still, I didn't find many, if any, practical application of those ideas.

I wish every teacher was able to read this book, but I'd want to hand them a realistic way to apply those ideas to their classroom as well. The biggest challenge isn't our refusal to see the diversity of "minds" but the large classroom sizes that force teachers to serve the greatest # they can, and...more
Mohammed
انصح كل من ليه طفل بقراءة هذا الكتاب
Rachel
Refreshing and profoundly enlightening! Finally a voice of reason shining through the labeling storm clouds of ADD, ADHD, Special Ed. etc. Reading this was like being inside another persons mind, often a very close mind, and finally understanding! The trick is now taking all of the information and insight I gleaned and putting it into useful application within my own family. The task seems monumental. I have purchased the book and it will be a constant source of reference and reminder.
Tom
I like the fact that the author covers a very wide selection of cognitive processes and subprocesses, and describes how they might affect kids development. He gives some case studies and provides a very comprehensive coverage.

The audiobook I used wasn't a good choice for this material. There's good stuff in here, but it would work better with paper or e-book so you can take notes along the way or skip sections that obviously don't apply to your kid. Audio quality was mediocre as well.
Brian
I appreciated this text for the insightful nature of the work that is presented within it. Mr. Levine lays out a lot of very interesting ideas about the individual minds that we interact with everyday that get overlooked by teachers in the classrooms everyday. Mr. Levine explains in ver plain english many complex ideas related to brain function and memories that helped me related to some of my student's needs a lot better in the classroom.
Johanna
A good read concerning how each student learns differently. The book provides information on the brain's neurodevelopment functions and the differences of these functions in students. Although a little too idealistic, especially for public school systems and lack of funding, it advocates the process of exercising dysfunctions, if found in students, in lieu of labeling and prescription drugs. An excellent read for parents, too!
Danni
I really liked this book. I found that every child is smart but in their own way and that you shouldn't classify everyone the same. My husband was laughing because this book had me engaged for three weeks.
It made me feel better about some of the things that happened in my own education. Reading this book gave me a lot of confidence as well. I would recommend this book to anyone who knows someone with a disability.
Jim Good
Mel argues that every mind learns differently. He uses several examples of children percieve to be working substandard and shows how if approached in the right manner the learning becomes engaging and rewarding for all. He shows how different areas of the brain function differently creating special challenges. He also gives techniques for aiding the learning process in those who have specific challenges.
Patricia
It is an interesting piece of work; however, the fact that Dr. Levine has lost his license to practice in a settlement with several young boys which accused him of sexual abuse and inappropriate conduct, I hesitate to cite his theories in any academic work. This is so similar to Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences that I safely stick to Gardner rather than risking my own integrity.
Jen
I love Mel Levine's philosophy of teaching and learning and I try to embody it in my teaching.
BUT, I am beyond shocked that he turned out to be a child molester. Who killed himself. That's right, google it. You'll see.
Does this make me rethink his ideas? No, but it does make me want to cut his picture out of the book cover because looking at him makes me feel gross.
Robynnolan
Does a good job explaining different areas of cognition and where deficits can occur in these, but I think the real strength of the book lies in the picture he paints of the kids he has seen with these problems. Somewhat idealistic, and too negative on "labels" and the use of medications, but in general a good look at how to evaluate various learning issues
WendyR
This book was great to help me understand how my boys' minds work when it comes to schoolwork. I actually couldn't finish it because I had to give it back to the teacher. Even though I understand my boys better, I am hoping I can figure out how to help my boys with the rest of the book. I think I might buy it so it may get more stars by the time I finish it.
Julie
Aug 08, 2008 Julie marked it as couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to understand how peope learn
Unfortunately, I was not able to finish this book before it was due back at the library. It seemed to be a good book, but, at the time, I had too many light-weight novels to read, which I was enjoying more than the technical nature of this book. At some point I may take it out again and try to get through it, but usually I prefer to read fiction.
Sherry
This is a must-read for anyone with a child struggling in school. This book makes it possible to isolate what makes that child unique by offering all kinds of information on what traits, talents, struggles and habits go with which areas of cognition, motor skills, etc. This information can help you seek guidance from medical professionals.
A Mind At A Time 3 12 Oct 25, 2012 12:09AM
  • Endangered Minds: Why Children Dont Think And What We Can Do About It
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level
  • Can We Talk about Race?: And Other Conversations in an Era of School Resegregation
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
Mel Levine, M.D., was professor of pediatrics at the University of North Carolina Medical School and director of its Clinical Center for the Study of Development and Learning. He was the founder and cochairman of All Kinds of Minds, a nonprofit institute for the understanding of differences in learning, and the author of two previous national best-selling books, A Mind at a Time and The Myth of La...more
More about Mel Levine...
The Myth of Laziness Ready or Not, Here Life Comes All Kinds of Minds: A Young Student's Book about Learning Abilities and Learning Disorders Educational Care: A System for Understanding and Helping Children with Learning Differences at Home and in School Keeping a Head in School: A Student's Book about Learning Abilities and Learning Disorders

“إننا جميعاً نعيش بعقول صُممت لأن تنشط في مجال و تتعثر في آخر …

دكتور مِل لفين”
5 likes
“الوقت هو ما يوجد ضمنه فرصة ...
و الفرصة هى ما لا يوجد فيها وقت كثير ...
الشفاء أمر عائد إلى الزمن، لكنه أيضاً عائد إلى الفرصة ...

هيبوقراط، الأوبئة”