4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,262 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Who is Jesus Christ?

You've never met him in person, and you don't know anyone who has. But there is a way to know who he is. How? Jesus Christ-the divine Person revealed in the Bible-has a unique excellence and a spiritual beauty that speaks directly to our souls and says, "Yes, this is truth." It's like seeing the sun and knowing that it is light, or tasting honey and kno...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Crossway (first published April 1st 2001)

Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John PiperThe Cross of Christ by John R.W. StottThe Challenge of Jesus by N.T. WrightThe Passion of Jesus Christ by John PiperKing's Cross by Timothy Keller
Books About Jesus
1st out of 115 books — 57 voters
Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Pursuit of God by A.W. TozerKnowing God by J.I. PackerDesiring God by John PiperDon't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Best Books on the Gospel
22nd out of 95 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie
It's rather seldom that I give a book five stars. And it has become pretty rare that I read books which fall under the "Christian Living" genre.

Naturally I have read a number of books on theological topics; however, I've grown a bit wary of them, partially because of all the superfluous reviews on back covers (as well as additional ones on the inside). Other than that, it seems that some include (shameless) plugs for other ministries with which the author or his friends are associated. These so...more
KC McCauley
John Piper concludes his book by saying, "There is no more important issue in life than seeing Jesus for who he really is and savoring what we see above all else" (123). Throughout the book he explains that we exist primarily to see, savor, and show the glory of God. Each chapter analyzes a different attribute of Christ, and John Piper's hope for the book has been fulfilled because "reading these thirteen chapters has been like viewing a diamond through thirteen different facets" (122). Which of...more
Courtney
I started this book, but haven't completed it yet. What I have read though is typical John Piper - laying it out there in black and white. The reason we don't live lives that honor God is b/c we don't love Him and we don't know Him fully. See the Word: John 14 - "those that love me keep my commands." Jesus said that! John Piper just reminds us that if we truly know God we will see and savor Him for all eternity!!
Greg
i read this in one night, but i want to read it again more slowly. it is a very short book and pretty easy to understand. (but not always) This is a must read for any Christian. Piper goes through what it means to see and savor Christ, and makes God look really magnificent in a short amount of pages.
Bonnie
A book that can be read and reread numerous times, it is so full. I read the 13 chapters over a period of time, some more than once, somewhat as a devotional. If we see Jesus for who He really is, how can we but savor Him. Piper here is both simple and deep; the book is not long, but it is excellent.
Nastya
This is an amazing book! It shattered my mind about who Jesus is. Growing up i knew Jesus from sunday school and what my parents taught me. when i was older i never bothered to read the Bible (our only source of getting to know Jesus) for all its worth. This book portrays the Jesus of the Bible.
J.D. White
I would venture to say that this is one of Piper's best works.

Though short, the book is inundated with Scripture references and examines Jesus with a simple clarity that makes it an ideal introduction to studying the Biblical Christ.
Maria
May 16, 2010 Maria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Sometimes I was pushing through to get through, and other times I was really enjoying the book. The topic, however, is excellent. It was a quick read.
Zach Weik
Sep 27, 2007 Zach Weik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: douglas firs
Some insights into basic theology with practical applications regarding our favorite multi-faceted Saviour.
Matt
Typical Piper - fantastic.
Tripleguess
I couldn't get very far in this book. The author seemed to lean heavily on the "this is all about God's glory, not about you (you worm)" aspect of grace.

Don't get me wrong. God is God and people are people. There should be no confusion about who is divine. But my personal struggle is not "Who's in charge, God or me?" or "Who's more important, God or me?" It's "Does God love me? Do I matter to him?"

To quote a fragment of the book:

We are all starved for the glory of God, not self. No one goes to...more
Kurt
This book would be terrific as a two-week devotional. Piper examines a variety of facets of Jesus (His power, His mercy, etc.) in a series of 3- to 8-page chapters. This book is saturated with Scriptural quotations, and each chapter invites reader participation with a challenging prayer in response to the aspect explored. I read the book in one afternoon, and I was moved when I prayed the written prayers aloud, stopping to reflect and add words when necessary.

In general, I love John Piper's thou...more
Dottie Parish

By John Piper

This is a beautifully written, profound and inspiring book that asks who was Jesus Christ? John Piper answers this question in chapters describing Jesus’ ultimate aim, deity, excellence, gladness, power, and wisdom. These are followed by chapters on his desecration, anguish, saving sacrifice, mercies, severity, resurrection and second coming. Each chapter brings new insight into the character of Jesus, with biblical references. Here are a couple of sa...more
Reid
Jan 05, 2010 Reid rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those that have stale view of Jesus, Christian or not
Recommended to Reid by: everyone
"A Biblical portrait of Jesus put on display".

One of the best books I have ever read. It is what the Bible says about Jesus. Really well done; like Swindoll and Joni Eareckson Tada, Piper is a wordsmith.

"Christ does not exist to make much of us. We exist in order to enjoy making much of Him. The assumption of this book is that to know the glories of Christ is an end,not a means. Christ is not glorious so that we get wealthy or healthy. Christ is glorious so that rich or poor, sick or sound, we m...more
Andrew Jacobson
Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper (Wheaton: Crossway, 2004. 124 pp) Originally posted at http://wherepenmeetspaper.blogspot.com

John Piper is a Christian preacher, author, and theologian. He is currently preaching at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota. His works include Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist, The Passion of Jesus Christ, and Don't Waste Your Life.

The Problem of Jesus Christ

John Piper manages to accurately summarize the problem of Jesus...more
I thoroughly treasured this book and within each of the 13 chapters, I felt I was witnessing different facets of a glorious diamond. Piper began with, "We were made to know and treasure the glory of God above all things: and when we trade that treasure for images, everything is disordered." He goes on today that "the healing of the soul begins by restoring the glory of God to its flaming, all-attracting place at the center." His prayer at the end of the first chapter resonated with my heart--"Fo...more
Tim
Received Piper's book as a gift and I fear that I will be a bit ungrateful for that gift in this review. In it we receive a full coven of Piper's reflections on Jesus. These reflections, while at times shiny on the paragraph level, are generally disjointed and poorly written. The beginning paragraphs of each chapter are often head scratching non sequiturs and while he is proud of the weight of Scripture in them it is more an imposition and piling up of texts by weight rather than any exposition...more
Caleb Gibson
Don't get me wrong, Piper had some amazing stuff in here... The reason I don't like this book is because of Chapter 5... Here Piper asks a question, "Will we worship or curse the One who rules the world?" First off, God doesn't control the world...

"The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man" (Psalm 115:16).

Piper asks, "Or will we say with Hannah, 'The Lord kills and brings to life'" (Piper 47). This whole chapter threw me for a loop (if this was not in here I woul...more
Shelby
Jesus Christ… he is the center of the gospel. He is our salvation. However, do we really know him? In this book Piper simply and biblically presents to us some of the characteristics of our savior.He looks into WHO Jesus is, not merely WHAT Jesus is (our savior). Some characteristics of Christ explored within the book are:

*His Aim

*His Diety

*His Excellence (this looks into his lion/lamb nature)

*His Joy

*His Saving Sacrifice

*His Mercies

*His...more
Paul Mullen
This would be a fabulous small group study book. I noticed that they have a companion study guide but I haven't read it. My guess is that if you're already an informed Christian, you won't learn anything new, but Piper pulls together great themes in a really helpful organization. A couple of my favorite tidbits:

1) Therefore justice is essential. But something else is also true: "It is [a man's] glory to overlook an offense" (Proverbs 19:11). Therefore if justice can be preserved, it is the apex...more
Sushant
Excellent book! I think it would also make for an excellent daily devotional!

There are 13 chapters, and each chapter is only 3-4 pages long. This is probably the best feature about this book. As Piper himself says somewhere in the book, this book presents 13 facets of the infinitely-glorious Jesus Christ, who is the perfect image of God, the radiance of His glory. Each chapter is concise, full of scripture and full of glorious aspects about Christ.

As I was telling my friends, the whole book fee...more
Sharon
This book refreshes my soul. It's a very concise, straightforward book good for young believers, non-believers, or persevering saints alike. Piper does a great job in really helping you to "see" the glory, grace, love, mercy and beauty of Christ, leaving you no other option but to really savor it up.

This book really helped me to see Christ more preciously, and I know that the things Piper helped me to realize through this book will contribute to fuel my love and passion for my Savior :)

Ps. the...more
Grace Chen
Jul 07, 2010 Grace Chen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
This is an amazing book which has opened my eyes to see and desire to seek more of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It's not only reading the book itself, but the prayers at the end of every chapter, and the scripture references which led me to read the passages in context for myself, which has grown in me a desire and hunger for God's word that I honestly never understood before.

It highlights powerful truths in scripture, and I think any believer of any maturity level will benefit from reading...more
Bill
I was surprised by how great this short book was! I'd overlooked it for years, I suppose I thought it was stuff he's written about in other books or something. But it's great - practical, passionate, theological, life changing, with some great prayers throughout. Simply a clear sighted presentation of Jesus Christ. Piper has the knack of destroying our familiar & diluted ideas and re-capturing the earth shaking nature of "the glory of god in the face of Jesus Christ." Read this one! (P.S. It...more
Jrood
This is a great devotional read. The chapter are short and easy to meditate on in one setting. The book fleshes out themes of God's Glory as receiled in the life and teachings of Christ. What I admired the most was how each chapter leads the writer and reader to praise the Lord! The book is great model for meditation and praying through scripture. Would definitely recomend it for anyone who is trying to be more intentional about their personal Bible study or times of prayers.
Vaclav
we must see Christ first before we can spiritually savor him in our souls! but such seeing doesn't come naturally, it comes only as we look to God to reveal him to us by his Spirit! go hard after Christ!
Matt Mancini
A great little lay treatise on biblical Christology. Being quite short (only about 120 pages) it'd be a great book for use in a discipleship/evangelism context in looking at the person and character of Jesus. Each chapter is followed by a brief prayer in which Piper's characteristic love and passion for the glory of God shines through.

You really can't go too far wrong with Piper and so it's not unsurprising that I would recommend this book, confidently, to anyone.
Jenny Karraker

What a wonderful book about what Jesus is like--I was awestruck by His power and might yet drawn close by His love and gentleness. This book made me want to run to my Bible and delve into learning more. It often brought tears to my eyes and gave energy to my soul. The 4-5 page chapters were great-- made for quick reading when you had just a little bit of time. The prayers at the end of each chapter helped made real what I learned.
Jenny
I started reading this book as a joint-project with a long-distance friend, and we stopped our reading after a while due to busyness in her life. I found the book on my shelf and realized I better finish it the other day. The book is okay. Very scripture-heavy, looks at Jesus in different facets from a Biblical perspective. May be encouraging for some of my Christian friends interested in the topic.
Kameron
AWESOME! John Piper is an amazing author and teacher of the Gospel and his depth is mind stimulating, to say the least. In this book, he looks at several different angles/attributes of Christ and how we can not only see them in their truth, but savor them. He doesn't exclude the hard parts - but brings new clarity to them. I truly savored this book as I learned to love my Savior even more.
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
  • What Is a Healthy Church Member?
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
  • The Glory of Christ
  • The Attributes of God
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe...more
More about John Piper...
Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist Don't Waste Your Life The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God The Passion of Jesus Christ Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions

“Life is too short, too precious, too painful to waste on worldly bubbles that burst” 6 likes
“The only person in history who did not deserve to suffer, suffered most.” 3 likes