Start by marking “Lavender's Blue” as Want to Read:
Lavender's Blue

Lavender's Blue

Collection of nursery-rhymes for very young children.
Published (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Lavender's Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lavender's Blue

Ellinor
Lavender's Blue is a mixture of different nursery rhymes. I knew lots of these before but I enjoyed the book anyway, especially because of the beautiful pictures. And now I finally understand some of the titles from Agatha Christie novels!
Megan
My husband has had this since his tiny tot days and I used to love reading his falling apart copy to our kids when they were small. I doubt they were ever into it as much as me, but I love the cross hatch illustrations, the muted palette and the rich, eloquent English in these traditional nursery rhymes.
Linda
Jul 14, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
A collection worth owning for reference. My toddler does not enjoy sitting and looking at this book together. She is developmentally at a stage where she prefers to sing the rhymes together with hand and finger motions. However, I enjoyed looking through it and realized many references my mother (aged 86) and her mother (born in 1906 from English descendants) used during my childhood. I never really thought about where some of those old phrases stuck in my head came from like..."Ladybird, ladybi ...more
Julie Barrett
Feb 13, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Lavenders Blue, A book of nursery rhymes by Kathleen Lines and Harold Jones
Cute nursery rhymes that I recall myself. Some my mother taught us with how to demonstrate some of them.
Audio book for children and adults alike. Love the a for apple pie then b bit it, etc all the way through the whole alphabet. House that Jack built is another really good one. Fun games to play also and you are told how to do them.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Devi
Erica Nicol
This is the collection of nursery rhymes we have in our home, and is well-loved. It's very comprehensive (my daughter refers to this as "the big book"), well-organized, and we often read/sing several of these rhymes a night. The illustrations aren't quite as bright and engaging as, say, those of Rosemary Wells in My Very First Mother Goose, but they are fun, detailed, and traditional enough that I feel a bit nostalgic whenever we read through this book.

Because the selection of rhymes here is jus
Allison
Oct 10, 2011 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks interested in ephemera & Anglophiles
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
I found this book (perhaps just this edition?) frustrating. It was divided into sections but they weren't differentiated with a font change on the divider pages. Some of the rhymes were very similar to those I'd heard as a child here in America but others were distinctly different for being English.

The illustrations are pleasing and reflective of an earlier time than the 1950s when it was first published. There is also a section at the end of the book which gives games which can be played with s
Charlotte
Sep 10, 2011 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Its not everyday you come across a book for young children with the word "slut" in it. I personally found it to be funny, other parents might not. I feel that if a child gets this far into a kind-of boring book they are entitled to find something hilarious like a naughty word.

This book is a great dictionary of nursury rhymes. In my experience this book is more for adults who care for children, than the children themselves. I find that children enjoy the rhymes more if you memorize them first an
Meagan
Mar 08, 2014 Meagan rated it liked it
Great memento- collection of all the old and original nursery rhymes. Bad for trying to entertain a modern-day toddler.
Dichotomy Girl
My favorite from the book:

"They that wash on Monday
have all the week to dry
They that wash on Tuesday
Are not so much awry
They that wash on Wednesday
Are not so much to blame
They that wash on Thursday
wash for shame,
They that wash on Friday
wash in need,
But they that wash on Saturday,
Oh! they're sluts indeed "

Emkoshka
Not really a book to read in one sitting, as I did, but one to dip in and out of for nursery rhyme inspiration. What struck me while reading this was how very English and very old the rhymes are if you look at the language and recurring images. It makes me wonder whether today's kids are even taught nursery rhymes anymore?
Cherene
Jun 13, 2012 Cherene rated it did not like it
As a parent, these rhymes and short narratives were nostalgic and enjoyable. As a three year old boy, my son just didn't care for it. Not only was he not the least bit interested, but he actually asked me to stop reading (which is not a common occurrence in our household).
Kyrie
Mar 31, 2013 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I like nursery rhymes and this collection has some of the more obscure ones. I've heard bits and pieces from my grandparents. It also has a lot of the more ordinary ones.
I really liked that it contains what the bells of London say.
Kate
This was a great collection of children's nursery rhymes. The end also has instructions for games and hand gestures. The nursery rhymes are accompanied by illustrations that give a nice touch to the book.
Robyn
Dec 13, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it
(Read with little sister as part of the "1,001 Children's Books To Read")

The illustrations were simply top-notch and this was an adorable story collection book.
Nick
Jul 20, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing
If you have young children or grandchildren, you need this book. It is the best collection of nursery rhymes and word games -- with the best illustrations -- ever.
Jen
Feb 28, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1001, childrens
great collection of rhymes, many I remembered, some I had forgotten and others I'd never heard. Great fun. bit of violence at times, though.
Heather
Jan 24, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty book of nursery rhymes. I bought it in England and saw quite a few tiny differences between the rhymes we say here. It was interesting.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 17, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
A book I remember from my childhood, filled with all the wonderful nursery rhymes I loved.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe marked it as stricken
I'm sure it's a fine book, but the kids and I are feeling too old for nursery rhymes I guess.
Greta
Sep 03, 2011 Greta rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
What's there not to like about a beautifully illustrated book of Nursery Rhymes?
Susan
very comprehensive, old world feeling illustrations, muted colors, very nice book.
Tammy
Apr 15, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it
Nursery rhymes can be very strange things to read! I did enjoy the illustrations a lot!
Lisa
Mar 17, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Rebekah Bales-Dunford
No home with children should be without this beautiful book! Pure delight!
Tiffany
Jan 31, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
Great
Shannon
Dec 11, 2011 Shannon marked it as to-read
0-3
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Lindsey G
Lindsey G rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
SBC
SBC rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Abby Squire
Abby Squire rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
  • Good Night, Alfie Atkins
  • The Three Railway Engines (The Railway Series, #1)
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby