Start by marking “The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Swans Are Not Silent, #3)” as Want to Read:

The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (The Swans Are Not Silent #3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  347 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce suffered lifelong opposition and endured for the causes of gospel truth, missionary zeal, and political justice. They found, in solid doctrine and humble joy, the tough roots for habitual tenderness in response to their adversaries-without doctrinal or moral flinching. They are examples of remarkable grace.

In Book 3 in T
Published August 18th 2006 by Crossway Books (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Roots of Endurance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roots of Endurance

Bill
Jul 25, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I continue to love these Piper biographies. Though after reading nine I'm beginning to want a broader perspective and a deeper treatment (which would probably please John Piper) -- but these short biographies are so accessible! Anyway, the theme of this collection is a favourite for me -- endurance. I was especially encouraged by John Newton, I need to read more about him.
David Gregg
Newton and Wilberforce are two of my spiritual heroes, and I'm stingy with that appellation--as I am with the five-star rating. All of Piper's biographical sketches are pearl. The conference version is available for streaming or download as MP3 for free at the Desiring God website.
Joon Kim
May 28, 2016 Joon Kim rated it really liked it
I first heard the sermons that were the basis for these books and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I purchased the books a long time ago but never read them bc I thought the book would just be the transcripts of the sermons, but they offered a different perspective and a more in-depth analysis in some ways.

If I had to pick one thing only, I would still select the messages because I enjoy listening to the passion in John Piper's stories but the books were very enriching and encouraging as well.

I especi
Hank Pharis
Nov 24, 2014 Hank Pharis rated it liked it
John Newton, who wrote "Amazing Grace," had an amazing life. He began his career in the Royal Navy before later becoming the Captain of a slave ship.
Through an unlikely series of events he ended up a slave himself an African Princess. Finally he became a Christian and a Pastor. He was also a mentor to William Cowper, William Wilberforce and Henry Martyn.

Charles Simeon was the Pastor of Trinity Church in Cambridge for 49 years despite great opposition to his ministry for the first 12 years.

Willia
Laurie
Jun 29, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Key Quotes:

Referring to John Newton -- "Oh, how rare are the Christians who speak with a tender heart and have a theological backbone of steel...whose might in the truth is matched by their meekness...whose relational warmth is matched by their rigor of study" p. 42,43

Quoting John Newton -- "I had no apprehension of the hidden life of a Christian, as it consists in communion with God by Jesus Christ: a continual dependence on Him...I acknowledged the Lord's mercy in pardoning what was past, but
Nicholas
Oct 04, 2012 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Endurance is essentail in sports. The ability to hold to what you know and finish to the end is important yet hard to do. The body will begin to protest sending messages of pain and exhaustion. Rivals get in the way attempting to end our advancement. At times old habits and desires get in the way of training, especially at hard times. The same is true with the Christian walk. It is hard to endure and hold to the truths of Christ when so much seems easier, more entertaining, or less threatening.

J
Vaughn
Jul 28, 2010 Vaughn rated it it was amazing
The primary emphasis of this book is simply to introduce Christians today to a few heroes of the faith from yesteryear. This book is the third in The Swans are not Silent series and after reading this one, I'm looking forward to diving into the others.

But the book is not just biographical in nature – Piper does a wonderful job applying the lessons learned from the lives and struggles of these men to our own spiritual journeys. In this book, specifically, each man had to God-sized challenges to
Mark Sylvester
Apr 15, 2015 Mark Sylvester rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, goals-2015
Short snapshot of the lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon and William Wilberforce, and what caused them to endure in the midst of the trials they faced. Each person faced trials of various kinds, whether physical, political, spiritual, or emotional. The question Piper is answering for each person is what caused them to endure? What was the root of their endurance (hence the book title). Love biographies and history, so this was a fun introduction to the lives of each of these men.
Ko Matsuo
Aug 15, 2014 Ko Matsuo rated it really liked it
The story of habitual and determined endurance over 3 people's lifetimes that produced fruit that lasts for an eternity. John Newton's "habitual tenderness" towards those in need. Charles Simeon's determination over years of persecution within the church. William Wilberforce's lifetime quest for the abolishment of slavery. A book that puts feet to faith.
Melissa Wild
Apr 15, 2015 Melissa Wild rated it really liked it
"Where is it that in such a world as this, [that] health, and leisure, and affluence may not find some ignorance to instruct, some wrong to redress, some want to supply, some misery to alleviate?" ~ William Wilberforce

"He lived to do good--or as Jesus said, to let his light shine before men that they might see his good deeds and give glory to his Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16)." ~ John Piper on Wilberforce
Colleen
Aug 23, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago and still remember parts of it and how it encouraged me during a hard season in my life. I do love reading biographies so this gave me an opportunity to read many in one book and it brought out aspects of these people's lives I had no idea they had experienced.
Linda
Jun 07, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite in Piper's series of biographies. He is unrelenting in his focus - the root of endurance is a solid apprehension of the grace and love of Christ which overshadows all other temporal events. A very encouraging book.
Cassie
Jun 26, 2015 Cassie rated it really liked it
Encouraging and challenging. What these men faced personally and professionally, and then what they accomplished for Christ is amazing.
Jeremy
Loved these biographies.
Brian
May 16, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, biography
The part of this book on John Newton is worth double the price. Included in a short overview on Charles Simeon who and trained a generation of Pastors, suffered for the gospel, worked hard for the poor, and was resisted by his church but kept at it. Wilberforce who is the third man discussed here was a force against the slave trade, ultimately getting it outlawed in Europe. This book definetly shows what men can do when they believe the words of Christ. Highly recommended.
Richelle
Dec 17, 2014 Richelle rated it liked it
Good introduction to the lives of these men, but would have a liked a "for further reading" list at the end, as I'd like to read more about them.
Darsey
Feb 18, 2015 Darsey rated it really liked it
I am in love with this series! Reading The Legacy of Sovereign Joy next.
Jonathan Seger
Jan 02, 2015 Jonathan Seger rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, theology
The Swans Are Not Silent series have been some of the most enjoyable biographies I've read. Simple, to the point, and yet packed with meat. This book is no different. My favorite chapter was on John Newton. Ordinary pastor with many difficulties in his church, yet he remained there his whole pastoral life. That's endurance.
Kevin McCarthy
Jun 24, 2016 Kevin McCarthy rated it really liked it
Encouraging, as this whole series has been. This one focuses on endurance and explores the lives of three men who fought for joy to the very end. Offers some helpful--if not particularly surprising--thoughts on how and why a Christian "makes it." Spoiler: it is by leaning on the cross of Christ, not by human efforts.
Clare Farrelly
Apr 09, 2016 Clare Farrelly rated it really liked it
This book was really good. For some reason the first part just did not connect with me but I found the story of Simeon amazing and inspiring. I also enjoyed the third on Wilberforce. The short biographies and looks on the roots of the endurance of these three great men of God were done very well.
Phil Dunn
Dec 20, 2012 Phil Dunn rated it really liked it
Another of John Pipers excellent little series on important characters from church history. Great overviews of the men and their ministries. Particularly enjoyable are the points of application that Piper makes throughout.

Left me feeling encouraged to read more church history.
Bill
Sep 14, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing
a wonderful encouragement to endure by doing good and finishing well
Zack Melvin
May 04, 2012 Zack Melvin rated it it was amazing
Clearer than normal for Piper; the short biography on Charles Simeon really changed my life a bit. Ultimately, we must view ourselves in aspect to God; we are wretched, while He is glorious. Only then may we learn to endure (but read it yourself!).
Jonathan
Sep 18, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Very easy read & very satisfying! A great introduction to three great men! I suggest this to anyone, especially anyone looking to read more about great saints of the past. It will certainly wet your whistle!
Dan
Dec 15, 2007 Dan rated it it was ok
This biography of Newton, Simeon and Wilberforce is not as good as the other in Piper's biographical series The Legacy of Sovereign Joy or The Hidden Smile of God, but I am still glad I read it.
Nat
Jan 05, 2014 Nat rated it it was amazing
Two Thumbs Up.
Wade
Sep 03, 2007 Wade rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-history
A solid and easy to read biography on the lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon and William Wilberforce. Showing their theology and their life struggles how that deeply applies to our lives today.
Jeff Noble
The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Piper, John, Swans Are Not Silent, V. 3.) by John Piper (?)
Kristina
Aug 30, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Particularly appreciated getting to read about Charles Simeon, since there is less published on his life and experiences than the other two.
  • For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God
  • The Forgotten Spurgeon
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • The Journals of Jim Elliot
  • Out of the Depths
  • The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Eric Liddell: Pure Gold : A New Biography of the Olympic Champion Who Inspired Chariots of Fire
  • The Works of Jonathan Edwards, 2 Volumes
  • 131 Christians Everyone Should Know
  • Spurgeon: A New Biography
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Real Christianity
  • 50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith
  • Meet the Puritans: With a Guide to Modern Reprints
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...

The Swans Are Not Silent (7 books)
  • The Legacy of Sovereign Joy: God's Triumphant Grace in the Lives of Augustine, Luther, and Calvin (The Swans Are Not Silent, #1)
  • The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd (The Swans Are Not Silent, #2)
  • Contending for Our All: Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the Lives of Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen  (The Swans Are Not Silent, #4)
  • Filling Up the Afflictions of Christ: The Cost of Bringing the Gospel to the Nations in the Lives of William Tyndale, Adoniram Judson, and John Paton (The Swans Are Not Silent #5)
  • Seeing Beauty and Saying Beautifully: The Power of Poetic Effort in the Work of George Herbert, George Whitefield, and C. S. Lewis (The Swans Are Not Silent #6)
  • A Camaraderie of Confidence: The Fruit of Unfailing Faith in the Lives of Charles Spurgeon, George Muller, and Hudson Taylor (The Swans Are Not Silent #7)