The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Swans Are Not Silent, #3)

The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (The Swans Are Not Silent #3)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  25 reviews
John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce suffered lifelong opposition and endured for the causes of gospel truth, missionary zeal, and political justice. They found, in solid doctrine and humble joy, the tough roots for habitual tenderness in response to their adversaries-without doctrinal or moral flinching. They are examples of remarkable grace.

In Book 3 in T...more
Published August 18th 2006 by Crossway Books (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Roots of Endurance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roots of Endurance

David Gregg
Newton and Wilberforce are two of my spiritual heroes, and I'm stingy with that appellation--as I am with the five-star rating. All of Piper's biographical sketches are pearl. The conference version is available for streaming or download as MP3 for free at the Desiring God website.
Laurie
Key Quotes:

Referring to John Newton -- "Oh, how rare are the Christians who speak with a tender heart and have a theological backbone of steel...whose might in the truth is matched by their meekness...whose relational warmth is matched by their rigor of study" p. 42,43

Quoting John Newton -- "I had no apprehension of the hidden life of a Christian, as it consists in communion with God by Jesus Christ: a continual dependence on Him...I acknowledged the Lord's mercy in pardoning what was past, but...more
Nicholas
Endurance is essentail in sports. The ability to hold to what you know and finish to the end is important yet hard to do. The body will begin to protest sending messages of pain and exhaustion. Rivals get in the way attempting to end our advancement. At times old habits and desires get in the way of training, especially at hard times. The same is true with the Christian walk. It is hard to endure and hold to the truths of Christ when so much seems easier, more entertaining, or less threatening.

J...more
Vaughn
The primary emphasis of this book is simply to introduce Christians today to a few heroes of the faith from yesteryear. This book is the third in The Swans are not Silent series and after reading this one, I'm looking forward to diving into the others.

But the book is not just biographical in nature – Piper does a wonderful job applying the lessons learned from the lives and struggles of these men to our own spiritual journeys. In this book, specifically, each man had to God-sized challenges to...more
Ko Matsuo
The story of habitual and determined endurance over 3 people's lifetimes that produced fruit that lasts for an eternity. John Newton's "habitual tenderness" towards those in need. Charles Simeon's determination over years of persecution within the church. William Wilberforce's lifetime quest for the abolishment of slavery. A book that puts feet to faith.
Colleen
I read this book years ago and still remember parts of it and how it encouraged me during a hard season in my life. I do love reading biographies so this gave me an opportunity to read many in one book and it brought out aspects of these people's lives I had no idea they had experienced.
Brian
The part of this book on John Newton is worth double the price. Included in a short overview on Charles Simeon who and trained a generation of Pastors, suffered for the gospel, worked hard for the poor, and was resisted by his church but kept at it. Wilberforce who is the third man discussed here was a force against the slave trade, ultimately getting it outlawed in Europe. This book definetly shows what men can do when they believe the words of Christ. Highly recommended.
Bill
I continue to love these Piper biographies. Though after reading nine I'm beginning to want a broader perspective and a deeper treatment (which would probably please John Piper) -- but these short biographies are so accessible! Anyway, the theme of this collection is a favourite for me -- endurance. I was especially encouraged by John Newton, I need to read more about him.
Jonathan Seger
The Swans Are Not Silent series have been some of the most enjoyable biographies I've read. Simple, to the point, and yet packed with meat. This book is no different. My favorite chapter was on John Newton. Ordinary pastor with many difficulties in his church, yet he remained there his whole pastoral life. That's endurance.
Phil Dunn
Another of John Pipers excellent little series on important characters from church history. Great overviews of the men and their ministries. Particularly enjoyable are the points of application that Piper makes throughout.

Left me feeling encouraged to read more church history.
Bill
a wonderful encouragement to endure by doing good and finishing well
Zack Melvin
Clearer than normal for Piper; the short biography on Charles Simeon really changed my life a bit. Ultimately, we must view ourselves in aspect to God; we are wretched, while He is glorious. Only then may we learn to endure (but read it yourself!).
Jonathan
Very easy read & very satisfying! A great introduction to three great men! I suggest this to anyone, especially anyone looking to read more about great saints of the past. It will certainly wet your whistle!
Dan
This biography of Newton, Simeon and Wilberforce is not as good as the other in Piper's biographical series The Legacy of Sovereign Joy or The Hidden Smile of God, but I am still glad I read it.
Natalie
Two Thumbs Up.
Wade
A solid and easy to read biography on the lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon and William Wilberforce. Showing their theology and their life struggles how that deeply applies to our lives today.
Jeff Noble
The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Piper, John, Swans Are Not Silent, V. 3.) by John Piper (?)
Kristina
Particularly appreciated getting to read about Charles Simeon, since there is less published on his life and experiences than the other two.
High Pointe Baptist Church
Book 3 in Piper's outstanding biography series: perseverance in the lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce
Anthony Alvarado
Newton and Wilberforce are incredible but Simeon's bio and perspective has impacted me significantly.
Rob
Most "amazing" account of John Newton's life and patterns for ministry.
Kim
20 5/4/13 Fantastic once again, Wilberforce, Simeon, Newton.
Tary
Three amazing men, amazing lives.
Tim Plett
Jul 09, 2007 Tim Plett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians, people with an interesting in biography
Shelves: biography
I've referred often to this book.
Beth
There's a lot to learn from these awesome "dead guys"! They finished the race well and did their part (through Christ's strength) to change the world despite personal hardship and fierce opposition. A great encouragement to buck up and quit being so thin-skinned in the Lord's service!
Kelly Cullen
Kelly Cullen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Nathanael
Nathanael is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
  • Real Christianity
  • The Unquenchable Flame: Discovering the Heart of the Reformation
  • A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
  • The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus
  • Eric Liddell: Pure Gold : A New Biography of the Olympic Champion Who Inspired Chariots of Fire
  • To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson
  • The Journals of Jim Elliot
  • The Expository Genius of John Calvin
  • L'Abri (New Expanded Edition)
  • The Bruised Reed
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe...more
More about John Piper...
Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist Don't Waste Your Life The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God The Passion of Jesus Christ Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions