Eddie Fantastic

Eddie Fantastic

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  905 ratings  ·  56 reviews

Eddie Fanta is a teenager entangled by tragic secrets that leave him questioning life, questioning justice, and questioning God. Louis Kosserinkoff is a savagely scarred, crippled old man who has remained in complete seclusion for the last forty years. After mysterious circumstances bring these characters face to face, Eddie discovers the old man's extraordinary genius in

Published August 28th 2008 by Covenant Communications (first published September 1st 1992)

Thom
Mar 20, 2008 Thom rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: any of my LDS friends.
Shelves: lds-fiction
A book about a young teenager who falls in with a fantastic scientist who looks at all the abilities of God and tries to explain them with science and creates a few inventions that allows you to duplicate some of the same abilities. The hero starts using them and gets himself into no small amount of trouble.
05BradenG
EDDIE FANTASTIC Year:2008

Author: Chris Heimerdinger. Number of pages: 233.
Who is the intended audience of this book: Anyone.
What is the main issue or problem of the book addresses: Eddie has all these tools that could help make the world a better place.
Setting: takes place in Utah.
Description of Main character: Eddie is fifteen attending Jordan view high in Utah he is average high and has dirty blond hair.
Story Summary: Eddie met this genius scientist who couldn't walk or do anything pretty much...more
Tanja
This book is another I tried to encourage my teens to read. So far, that hasn't happened, but I enjoyed reading it. It's about a boy whose family has recently gone through a divorce who has moved to West Valley with his mom. He works through his personal problems and tries to "fix" everything with the help of a recluse neighbor and his inventions.

I was quite enetertained, and it was less predictable than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, my boys haven't picked it up yet, but if and when the...more
Tara
Read this as a kid, it's a YA FIC book that is a little bit sci fi, but not a lot. Basically it's about a high-school boy who runs into some pretty awesome futuristic technology. I loved it as a kid, makes you think a little about human relationships, but it's not that deep
Melarky
I also grew up listening to the author read this book on tape during trips (along with his other tennis shoes among the nephites books). He does a great job, and I couldn't help but assign the characters his voices he used while I read it on my kids now. It was a great book, and I hear the author would like to do a sequel (I hope he does it, I would love to see how he carry's on the characters story). My kids also loved this book and is one he still talks to me about. The only issue I had with t...more
Eric
This is an update to my last review. I wasn't quite finished with the book when I wrote the last review. The book starts out strong and catches your interest. It gets you to really like the characters and then a couple of chapters from the end it "wets the bed". The ending doesn't make any sense at all. If this is how all of this authors books go I'm glad I've never read any of them and I don't intend on reading any of them. This book turned out to be a turkey!!! I wouldn't recommend this book o...more
Kim
I remember listening to this book on tape while going on a family vacation. Yes, I said tape, not CD. So, I thought I would read it, to see if it was as good as I remembered. I wasn't aware that I had bought an "updated" version, until all of a sudden it mentions 9/11, Wii, and XBOX. I do have to agree with someone's comment about the fact that he wouldn't have been able to board a plane with something metal strapped under his jacket. But other than that, it is still a good book, and still enjoy...more
Ryan Burt
For some reason I never really liked this book. I liked it at the beginning but that was more because it was based in Utah. When different parts of Utah were mentioned it was easy to relate too. But then it took a twist later into the book that I thought might be interesting but just became to unbelievable. It was a shorter book so I just forced myself to finish it.
Katie
Really, would it be that hard to look up the difference between nuclear fusion and fission? Especially given that the second main character is a super-genius physicist? And, maybe it should have been left in the 90's... or at least updated better. Who's gonna believe that he can board an airplane in 2008 wearing a metal jacket under his shirt?
Scott
Came across this book last week and remembered that I had read it years and years ago.

I only remember the plot vaguely--something about a misfit kid in high school who is assigned to home teach a seriously burned/disfigured man who happens to be a super genius that invents some jacket that allows the main character to time travel.
Wendi
This book was frustrating to me. It is so obviously going to be the first book in a series. By the end I was just as confused and had just as many unanswered questions as I did in the beginning. It does not stand alone very well. I suggest waiting till the whole series is out and then reading them all together.
Kathy
I just had fun with this book because the "sick old man" and his wife are actually my parents. They lived in Chris's neighborhood and he just added them to his story. They loved it! My teenage kids have really enjoyed it, and it's being released again as an updated version. Pretty fun for the kids... of all ages.
Jeni
This book was my favorite book by Chris Heimerdinger. I think I liked it because it was not about traveling back in time, but about stopping time.. which is a little different than the regular tennis shoes books. Plus it all takes place now, rather than in the past. It was an exciting, easy read.
Shannon
I really didn't like this book. I really didn't get the storyline as anything other than a set-up for more novels instead of being good on its own.

The premise of a kid being given scientific marvels could have been good, but it got caught somewhere in just plain nonsense.
Kathy
A fun story about a boy who meets a scary man in the neighborhood who has not left his house in forty years. The old man is a genius who has cool inventions for the boy to experiment with as he plots to make changes in his and other people's lives. Fun fast read.
Nick Platt
I really liked this book. It was another great book by Chris Heimerdinger. It's been a few months since I finished it, but I think I remember wanting the ending to be different. Seems like that is the case a lot of the time. Still a good book. Recommend it.
Gwenda
I remember laughing a lot while listening to this book on tape. It's completely independent of the "tennis shoes" books where the kids go back into the Book of Mormon. Guess I'll have to listen to it again when I need a good laugh. (How about now?)
Veronica
The first novel I read by an LDS author, I read this in seventh grade and really loved the idea and plot of the story. There were some parts that were a little predictable, or that were a bit too unbelievable, but all together a great story.
Katie
This book really was amazing i am so glad i read it. Eddie sure learned a lot from one Science Geek old man. I am glad that that stuff in the book doesn't exist because the world would sure be one dangerous place. Everyone would love this book.
Adam
I really was confused at this book. At times, I thought that they were mixing the LDS religion with the Scientology religion. At times, I thought this book was written by Chris Heimerdinger.
Collin
I read this book when I was younger and wanted to read it again. This is a second version though and though I remember loving the first version. I was disappointed with the the changes.
Mikal Grant
When I was growing up, this was my favorite book of all time. I read it and listened to it on tape at least 20 times. Eddie was my hero. The geek at school who became the hero...
Stacy
My parents bought me this book because it was by the same author as the tennis shoes series, and again it was a cute heartwarming story. Nothing to get overly excited about.
Darci
Oct 11, 2008 Darci rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darci by: Mike Edmonds
I really liked this book. This book is written by and LSD author but has nothing to do with the LDS church. I read it aloud with Mike and that was super fun.
Christine Ireland
I believe this story was stolen to create the film Clockstoppers(2002). Chris Heimerdinger has never received any credit or royalties, but it seems evident to me.

This book was about these really cool inventions that a boy gets to try out. One of which can slow down or speed up time, but only for him. I liked it!
Miikey
I learned about judging others, or more to the point the importance of not judging. I learned about courage to make unpopular but correct choices.
Heidi
I remember thinking this one was certainly different, but still good. I made sure to buy a copy on Amazon when I found out they are out-of-print.
Teresa
This was my second time because I own it. It's written more for a young audience but it has some interesting ideas and inventions and story...
Kalynn
Interesting. Not sure I would read it again, but would read a second book if it came out, just to see what happens to the characters.
  • One in Thine Hand: A Novel Set in Modern Israel
  • This Just In
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • When Tomorrow Comes
  • Faith of Our Fathers: To Make Men Free (Volume Two)
  • Angels Don't Knock!
  • Idle Playgrounds (Rhea Jensen, #3)
  • House on the Hill
  • Servant to a King
  • Foul Play
Chris Heimerdinger is an author and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) who has presently written sixteen adult and young adult novels, most of which center on religious themes familiar to LDS members. Most are published with Covenant Communications in American Fork, Utah. One title, A Return to Christmas was also picked up by Random House/Ballantine in 1995. When the t...more
More about Chris Heimerdinger...
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (Tennis Shoes, #1) Feathered Serpent, Part 2 (Tennis Shoes, #4) Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2) Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3) The Lost Scrolls (Tennis Shoes, #6)