Start by marking “Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life” as Want to Read:
Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life

Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A Devotional Powerhouse!

This revision of the follow-up to the popular A Godward Life adds twenty fresh entries to the original 120 daily meditations that are solid meat and sweet milk from God’s Word. The new entries broach current and controversial subject matter, such as partial-birth abortion and gay marriage. Piper asks the hardest questions and finds wonderfully poig...more
Published August 9th 2005 by Multnomah Books

To ask other readers questions about Taste and See, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taste and See

Cain
Thank you to Gary for letting me barrow this. I was extremely blessed and challenged as I read this. I enjoy John Piper because he has a great theological foundation and has a way of making it easy to understand. He does not just go for the "fill good stuff," but presents the Bible clearly and without apology. The book is a devotional, so is encouraging to one's faith.
Hannah
This book was a great mix of nightly devotions and solid theology. Piper presented really meaty stuff in small portions so I felt like I could really sink my teeth into one idea at a time. There were a few sentances here and there that I didn't fully agree with, but I have a niggling doubt that this might be out of my pride and stubborness more than incorrect argument on his part. Anyway, a book that I plan on reading again, though maybe this time I will spend more than one sitting on each secti...more
Vaughn
Unlike many devotional type books that water down the power of God's Word, this book explains the Word and points the reader to the richness of the scriptures and to the greatness of God. In Taste and See, John Piper helps his readers move toward "Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life." Meaning, don't only know God rationally, don't only obey God volitionally, but pursue Him passionately.
Lisa
Oct 21, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Sunday School class

We've been going through this one in Sunday School as a devotional/lesson kickoff. John Piper definitely gets a little deep and technical, and sometimes you have to read a sentence a couple times and go huh? and read it again, but once you get what he is pointing out, it's well worth the repetition to dig a little deeper into the Word. Good stuff.
Gigi
Okay, I have never written a review or rated a book that I haven't finished... until now. I checked this from the library and didn't have time to finish it, but what I read was terrific and I believe the rest is as well. Don't believe me?- taste and see.
Amber
One of my favorite devotionals/studies on topics in the Bible thus far. Piper has been blessed by God with a mind for all things scriptural. He really digs deep into the Bible, in short 1-2 page chapters on different topics. A MUST own.
Greg
Short, digestible devotionals to start out the day, but with a depth and richness that goes far beyond the average Christian devotional. As a busy college student, this book has been a huge blessing for me.
Luisa
May 15, 2011 Luisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I was surprised at how many of these meditations related to situations I'm in. Although I don't always agree with the author's views, the readings always gave me a lot to think about.
Liana
This was a great way to start my day. The devotions were powerful and thought provoking . Each and everyday I began my day with the Lord and an area to think about and to grow
Liza
I love that it's short chapters. One a day, or one every few days, and I feel like I read something worthwhile. I'm enjoying it.
Anna
I read this devotional before bed every night. A lingering thought, a verse, a prayer to send me to sleep. I sleep well.
Bryan McWhite
I keep it by my bedside and read a chapter (1-2 pgs.) once in a while. They have been marvelous so far!
Dorrice
This is a beautifully written and beautifully conceived book of devotions. I will read it again.
Amy
I enjoyed this devotional book and was quite encouraged by some readings from it.
Marguerite Harrell
I am still currently reading this as Daily Devotional book!
Cori Cover
I am truly enjoying Piper as an author.
Matthew
This book is great and very deep
Mel Tunney
Wonderful devotional
Vikki
Nice devotional
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Mitchell Elliott
Mitchell Elliott marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Rachel Svendsen
Rachel Svendsen marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Robin Gray
Robin Gray is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Peter Clegg
Peter Clegg marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Kate Howard Spigener
Kate Howard Spigener marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
  • A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
  • War of Words, Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles (Resources for changing lives)
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Baptism And Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today (IVP Classics)
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • The Radical Cross: Living the Passion of Christ
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • Your Beautiful Purpose: Discovering and Enjoying What God Can Do Through You
  • Knowing Scripture
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Death by Love: Letters from the Cross
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe...more
More about John Piper...
Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist Don't Waste Your Life The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God The Passion of Jesus Christ Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions