Start by marking “Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life” as Want to Read:
Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life

Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  268 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A Devotional Powerhouse!

This revision of the follow-up to the popular A Godward Life adds twenty fresh entries to the original 120 daily meditations that are solid meat and sweet milk from God’s Word. The new entries broach current and controversial subject matter, such as partial-birth abortion and gay marriage. Piper asks the hardest questions and finds wonderfully poig
Published August 9th 2005 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Taste and See, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taste and See

Shannon
Jun 13, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I've honestly had trouble in the past with Piper's refrain that God's glory is His highest goal (I ended up feeling like a peon). And every time I tried to read one of his longer books, I missed Piper's heart because of my trouble with this refrain and because of his very academic (sometimes abstruse?) study skills. But I've always loved Piper in short doses: his sermons and his devotionals accurately communicate the brimming heart behind all the erudite and challenging statements he makes. So I ...more
Jennah
Nov 10, 2015 Jennah rated it really liked it
I was using this book as a daily devotion, but it is a very long book so about half way I wanted to go on to another book. John Piper made some really good points, but I just wish this wasn't so long.

"The reason that being saved is the greatest experience in the world is because God is the greatest Person in the world, and being saved means being rescued from sin and damnation so that we can know and enjoy God forever. If God were not the greatest Reality in the universe, being saved to be with
Cain
Jul 08, 2014 Cain rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Gary for letting me barrow this. I was extremely blessed and challenged as I read this. I enjoy John Piper because he has a great theological foundation and has a way of making it easy to understand. He does not just go for the "fill good stuff," but presents the Bible clearly and without apology. The book is a devotional, so is encouraging to one's faith.
Hannah
Oct 06, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This book was a great mix of nightly devotions and solid theology. Piper presented really meaty stuff in small portions so I felt like I could really sink my teeth into one idea at a time. There were a few sentances here and there that I didn't fully agree with, but I have a niggling doubt that this might be out of my pride and stubborness more than incorrect argument on his part. Anyway, a book that I plan on reading again, though maybe this time I will spend more than one sitting on each secti ...more
Eric Hsu
Jan 17, 2015 Eric Hsu rated it it was amazing
read this recently
Vaughn
Jul 28, 2010 Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Unlike many devotional type books that water down the power of God's Word, this book explains the Word and points the reader to the richness of the scriptures and to the greatness of God. In Taste and See, John Piper helps his readers move toward "Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life." Meaning, don't only know God rationally, don't only obey God volitionally, but pursue Him passionately.
Lisa
Oct 21, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Sunday School class
Shelves:

We've been going through this one in Sunday School as a devotional/lesson kickoff. John Piper definitely gets a little deep and technical, and sometimes you have to read a sentence a couple times and go huh? and read it again, but once you get what he is pointing out, it's well worth the repetition to dig a little deeper into the Word. Good stuff.
Gigi
Sep 20, 2011 Gigi rated it really liked it
Okay, I have never written a review or rated a book that I haven't finished... until now. I checked this from the library and didn't have time to finish it, but what I read was terrific and I believe the rest is as well. Don't believe me?- taste and see.
Amber
Jun 05, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite devotionals/studies on topics in the Bible thus far. Piper has been blessed by God with a mind for all things scriptural. He really digs deep into the Bible, in short 1-2 page chapters on different topics. A MUST own.
Greg
Oct 24, 2012 Greg rated it it was amazing
Short, digestible devotionals to start out the day, but with a depth and richness that goes far beyond the average Christian devotional. As a busy college student, this book has been a huge blessing for me.
Luisa
May 15, 2011 Luisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I was surprised at how many of these meditations related to situations I'm in. Although I don't always agree with the author's views, the readings always gave me a lot to think about.
Liana
Oct 24, 2013 Liana rated it it was amazing
This was a great way to start my day. The devotions were powerful and thought provoking . Each and everyday I began my day with the Lord and an area to think about and to grow
Ryan Watkins
Dec 08, 2015 Ryan Watkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
I've been reading John Piper's Taste and See daily for the last few months. One of the best devotionals I've read! Highly recommended.
Liza
I love that it's short chapters. One a day, or one every few days, and I feel like I read something worthwhile. I'm enjoying it.
Anna
Jan 18, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it
I read this devotional before bed every night. A lingering thought, a verse, a prayer to send me to sleep. I sleep well.
Alan Yau
May 28, 2016 Alan Yau rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
Very good, overall. Rushed a bit in reading it the past few days so that I can return my borrowed book to its owner.
Bryan McWhite
Jul 27, 2011 Bryan McWhite rated it really liked it
I keep it by my bedside and read a chapter (1-2 pgs.) once in a while. They have been marvelous so far!
Dorrice
Mar 24, 2012 Dorrice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
This is a beautifully written and beautifully conceived book of devotions. I will read it again.
Amy
Jun 25, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this devotional book and was quite encouraged by some readings from it.
Marguerite Harrell
May 15, 2012 Marguerite Harrell rated it it was amazing
I am still currently reading this as Daily Devotional book!
Cori Cover
Aug 22, 2008 Cori Cover rated it it was amazing
I am truly enjoying Piper as an author.
Matthew
Jul 31, 2009 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-growth
This book is great and very deep
Mel Tunney
Oct 14, 2013 Mel Tunney rated it it was amazing
Wonderful devotional
Vikki
Sep 02, 2008 Vikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-growth
Nice devotional
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Arwen
Arwen marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Liam Openshaw
Liam Openshaw rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Bayden
Bayden marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Darylyn Howell
Darylyn Howell marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
  • Knowing Scripture
  • Letters of John Newton
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Our Sufficiency in Christ
  • Still Sovereign: Contemporary Perspectives on Election, Foreknowledge, and Grace
  • Death by Love: Letters from the Cross
  • Made For His Pleasure: Ten Benchmarks of a Vital Faith
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • Love Not the World
  • The Radical Cross: Living the Passion of Christ
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...