Start by marking “The Jaws Log” as Want to Read:
The Jaws Log

The Jaws Log

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The film Jaws grossed $100 million, and won three Oscars. Its screenwriter, Carl Gottlieb, here presents a portrait of a famously arduous shoot, complicated by clashing creative temperaments, pressures from the studio, bad weather - and sharks.
Paperback
Published November 5th 2001 by Faber & Faber (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Jaws Log, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jaws Log

Evan
No, this is not about a ginormous shark turd, although Steven Spielberg and his cohorts worried ginormously that their trouble-plagued production of Jaws would never be finished, would look terrible, and would possibly lay a big shark turd at the box office. The results proved otherwise, and this book is one of the choicest examples of its type: a spirited behind-the-scenes "making-of" account about the vagaries of movie production. I remember quite well how much I enjoyed reading this more than ...more
Laura Buechler
This is a great book about a great movie. The making of Jaws has become a famous story, and Gottlieb does an excellent job of taking us right behind the scenes and giving us enough movie-making context to understand the technicalities discussed. It's fun to read about how the producers originally thought they could just hire an animal trainer to teach a great white shark the needed stunts; it's eye-opening to understand how much this movie changed movie-making (not to mention swimming habits) fo ...more
Lori
Duh-DUH. Duh-DUH. DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH! Don't go in the water!

If you're like me, you consider the 1975 film Jaws to be one of the best motion pictures of all time. Before the age of CGI and various special effects, then novice director Steven Spielberg had to depend on an often irritable and uncooperative mechanical shark, underwater film footage, phenomenally well cast actors and a superb script. And the rest, they say, is cinematic history.

Carl Gottlieb, one of the screenwriters on Jaw
Chris
Apr 14, 2011 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Film Makers, Film Directors, Film Historians
When making a movie, most people do not really consider all the work that goes into making a film and for those that do, they understand the process can be very tedious and difficult. This book is about the enternal struggle it took to make the movie Jaws. Most famous film makers have read this book and keep it by them on set when making their movies, why? because nothing can be as bad as what took place to make this book into a movie. Everything you can imagine going wrong during the process di ...more
Gerard Collins
A couple of weeks ago, Amazon had a summer sale on Kindle books, and this was one of them. Just $1.99. I'd never heard of it, but the reviews were good. While I wouldn't say that reading it was a transcendent experience, it was an entertaining one. Gottlieb was brought on as the third writer to take a whack at the script, and had a bit role as the newspaper reporter in the movie, meaning that he saw quite a bit firsthand, from pre-production through the long, long, long shoot on Martha's Vineyar ...more
Patty
I enjoyed this book. Yes, I know we just had the 35th anniversary but it was while they were talking about the 35th that I heard about this book, so I requested it through ILL. There are lots of insider tidbits about the making of the movie, the struggles the cast and crew had with a long location shoot at Martha's Vinyard, and just the behind the scenes stuff that goes into making a movie.

Jaws was one of those "seminal" movies for me - it was very scary without being very graphic, the suspense
Victoria
As this book surrounds my favorite film, I was very excited when I found it in a used book shop. I promptly bought it and read it. However, a lot of the information covered within the book wasn't completely new to me. TV specials, special edition VHS and then later DVD extras and the like had given away much of this information. There just wasn't much that was completely new in the book... I suppose I shouldn't have been so surprised, but I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more to it. ...more
Caleb Abel
I'm more than a little biased considering I've long held Jaws as my favorite movie of all time, but this was absolutely fantastic. I gladly devoured the entire thing in two days and strongly suggest that anyone who loves movies should do the same.
Adam
The greatest book about movie making you will ever read. The story behind the making of Jaws is as good as the movie itself. A must-read for any fans of Jaws and film making.
Joan Daniel
A vivid account of the behind the scenes of this movie. It can be summarized as the journey and battle of a young director's vision getting trammeled between the force of nature and "sharky" studio executives. A must read for any film student.
Steve Gross
This book will tell you a lot about how movies are actually made.
Morgan
A fun, quick, nostalgic read! Hard to believe this movie came out 40 years ago, even harder to believe it was released after all the trouble encountered during the shoot...Makes me appreciate the movie even more, a very entertaining book!
Patricia
This book was a joy to read and a very fast read. Jaws has always been one of my favorite films and to this day I still think it is one of the most masterfully made films I've ever seen. And as it turns out one of the more difficult films ever made, no doubt. I was hoping the author would go into more detail about the editing process and the cinematography, but that not being his area of expertise, I don't hold that against him. Movies will never be made this way again. Highly recommended.
Lee Anne
How perfect that I read this book 40 years to the month when Spielberg and company took over Martha's Vineyard to make this movie. Gottlieb isn't as funny as he thinks he is (at least not here, but he is also the screenwriter of "The Jerk," so he is very, very funny elsewhere), but this is still a breezy, entertaining behind-the-scenes look at the making of the most watchable movie ever made. My favorite story involves a drunk Murray Hamilton and a skunk. Worth the read for "Jaws" fans.
Brent
May 23, 2013 Brent rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brent by: B. Dalton, Bookseller, at Lenox Square
Shelves: cinema
I read the heck out of this in anticipation of the film before Summer, 1975, having read the novel in 1974, wasn't it?
I was reminded listening to a forceful recommendation from director Steve Soderburg on Fresh Air with Terry Gross this week, in May 2013. Turns out he's my age, and having read Jaws Log, he cited it as one of the better "Making of..." books, when there were certainly fewer of them.
Highly recommended.
Martin
Good, fast read on the travails of making a major motion picture. 25th anniversary end notes (or were they the 30th? book has been updated multiple times) are just as good as the text and a welcome epilogue. Also greatly appreciate the author taking a strong poke at John Milius for taking more credit than he's due for the Indianapolis speech.
Kathy
Anyone who knows me knows about my utter fascination with Sharks (and zombies -but that's a story for another day). I read this book when it first came out 25 years ago and it has great behind the scene info about the movie. Too bad I lost my original copy from 25 years ago and had to re-buy this book.
woody fanon
probably the only book on film production that didn't bore me to tears. excellent storytelling and explanations of certain positions in the film business that an ordinary person wouldn't quite grasp in other books. Carl is my dude
Craig Moorhead
I read an old paperback held together with tape that was published shortly after the movie came out, so I can't vouch for the expanded edition. But this was a pretty sharp read. Made me miss the idea if working with actual film.
Joe  Noir
This is an updated edition of a cool book from the 70's. Carl Gottllieb not only worked on the script, and wrote this book, but had a small part in the film. He describes it all, and it's really funny too. Many photos.

Jamie
Not a lot of relevatory information...the book was published right after the movie and I understand there is an updated version out...so I will investigate...but if you like "Jaws", you'll enjoy the book.
Todd
Quite entertaining -- and all the more fascinating in light of its original release, around the time the movie came out. Also shoots a hole in the story that John Milius wrote the "Indianapolis" speech.
Corey
Jaws is one of my top 5 favorite movies. Behind the scenes stuff is always interesting to me. Especially with this movie since so much of it has never been done before.
Andy Clist
Reading this has only added to my appreciation of the movie and just how great it is. If you're a fan, you really should pick it up.
Leda
Nothing super special, but a fun read if you love the movie "Jaws." Some amazing production pictures are included.
Bryan Young
This is hands down one of the best books on film production I've ever read. Period.
Tammy
Great stories about what happened during the filming of Jaws.
Tammy
Great book about what went on during the filming of Jaws.
Gabriel Martinico
Oct 11, 2008 Gabriel Martinico rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a strong stomich.
one of the best books i have ever read.
Timo Leinonen
Timo Leinonen is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2014
O By Roop Dhillon 1 1 Mar 22, 2013 05:44PM
  • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
  • Lolita: The Screenplay
  • Something Like an Autobiography
  • Picture
  • Big Bosoms and Square Jaws: The Biography of Russ Meyer, King of the Sex Film
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
  • Star Trek Movie Memories
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam V. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut
  • Steve McQueen: A Biography
  • Clint Eastwood: A Biography
  • An Improvised Life
  • City of Nets: A Portrait of Hollywood in the 1940s
  • Nightmare Movies: A Critical Guide to Contemporary Horror Films
  • Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics: Hollywood's Best Mistakes, Goofs and Flat-Out Destructions of the Basic Laws of the Universe
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • The View from the Bridge: Memories of Star Trek and a Life in Hollywood
  • Shock Value: How a Few Eccentric Outsiders Gave Us Nightmares, Conquered Hollywood, and Invented Modern Horror
The Jaws Log: 30th Anniversary Edition The Little Blue Book for Filmmakers: A Primer for Directors, Writers, Actors, and Producers Jaws 2 The Jerk (Fotonovel) Long Time Gone