Start by marking “Disney's Art of Animation #1: From Mickey Mouse, To Beauty and the Beast” as Want to Read:
Disney's Art of Animation #1: From Mickey Mouse, To Beauty and the Beast

Disney's Art of Animation #1: From Mickey Mouse, To Beauty and the Beast

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A celebration of the magic behind the world's most famous animated films, this complete update of the classic Disney's Art of Animation debuts in time for the video release of Disney's latest animated spectacular, Beauty and the Beast. Four-color throughout.
Published October 1st 1992 by Disney Editions (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Disney's Art of Animation #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disney's Art of Animation #1

The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of How to Train Your Dragon by Tracey Miller-ZarnekeThe Art of Brave by Jenny LerewThe Art of Rise of the Guardians by Ramin ZahedThe Art of the Lion King by Christopher Finch
The Art of the Film, Part 1
39th out of 146 books — 61 voters
The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of Pixar by Amid AmidiThe Art of the Adventures of Tintin by Chris GuiseThe Art of Up by Tim HauserThe Art of Monsters, Inc. by John Lasseter
The Art of Animation
26th out of 28 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Garrett Cash
Excellent classic on the art of animation in Disney films and shorts. It started out with ravishing detail on the early days of Disney's studio, but as time progressed to Walt's masterpiece features the writing became a bit too rushed and concise for my taste. Monumental films get only a page of surface level criticism. This trend gets worse as the book goes on, but thankfully it redeems itself by having half of the book be on Beauty and the Beast alone. The book is quite outdated, with 25 years ...more
Drew Graham
I received this book as a gift more than ten years ago, and had glanced through it a few times, but never actually bothered to read it until now (I've recently decided I should get more out of my collection of art/animation books). It took me a while to read because I read it during down time at work. This book is divided into two parts. Evidently an update from a book Bob Thomas originally wrote in the late 1950s at Walt's request, the first 120 pages is a concise history of animation, specific ...more
Rachel Nabors
I picked up this edition of the book specifically because it was recommended on a "list of books for aspiring animators." It is a delightfully light introduction to the history of Disney animation, including some key animating tidbits. Examples of things I picked up:

Animations were in color before live films.
Disney monopolized colored cartoons for three years through a deal with Technicolor.
Disney encouraged animators to use bright colors because they were paying so much for the use!
Animators le
Bree Johnson
Disney Beauty and the Beast:

This book is a tale of love and perseverance. I would use this book in the discussion part of the building knowledge part of a lesson plan. The goal would be for children to sustain attention to a specific activity and demonstrate persistence. This book could also be used as an example for children of how good deeds can help people in more than one way.
Danny
A good overview of the history of Disney animation, chronicling the early days up to the latest Disney animated feature at the time of writing of the book: Beauty and the Beast. A big portion of the book is dedicated to the art of Beauty and the Beast. There's also an updated version of this book which goes all the way up to Hercules. The hardcover has a lenticular 3D cover.
Peter Landis
I was very pleased with most of this book. The first half is a concise history of Walt Disney and the animation company he founded. The second half goes in detail from start to finish on the production of Beauty and the Beast.

My biggest complaint is that the book began with a lot of great insider information on the early Disney films. As time goes on, the author breezes more and more quickly through each film till by the end he is only writing a couple sentences about each film.

My perspective o
Marcus Matossian
This is a french book I bought in 1997 after "the art of Walt Disney" in 1993.

It is basically about all the process that goes on behind all the Disney animations up until Beauty and The Beast, with an in-depth exploration behind Beauty and the Beast.

Although it's in french ( a language I barely understand) I remember forcing my sister to read it to me and explain everything!

It's one of those books that made me love drawing and coming up with stories that would make an interesting animation.
Annamarie
This book was very interesting and informative about the history of Disney. Although the book does get dry at some points making it a little boring. All of the artwork that was pulled for the book was probably my favorite part, it was beautiful and reminded me why I love Disney so much.
Chris
The history of animation at Disney, up to the early 1990's. It has behind-the-scenes information and plenty of images.
Amber
This book gave a nice overview of Disney animation. Wonderful pictures and some good information.

Sian
A great exploration into the history of animation. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Bulma Books
A classic. Definitely enjoyed it.~
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Noby
Noby marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Ada Smile
Ada Smile marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Javier Guerrero
Javier Guerrero marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast
  • The Disney Villain
  • The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of The Incredibles
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real
  • The Art of the Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • The Art of Up
  • The Art of the Disney Princess
  • Designing Disney
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • The Art of Pixar: 25th Anniv.: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation
  • To Infinity and Beyond!: The Story of Pixar Animation Studios
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World
Robert Joseph "Bob" Thomas was an American Hollywood film industry biographer and reporter who worked for the Associated Press from 1944.

Born in San Diego, he grew up in Los Angeles, where his father was a film publicist. He attended UCLA. He lived in Encino with his wife, Patricia. They have three daughters. Thomas, aged 92, died on March 14, 2014 at his home.

Thomas made his mark by engaging cele
More about Bob Thomas...
Walt Disney: An American Original Joan Crawford Building a Company: Roy O. Disney and the Creation of an EntertainmentEmpire Disney's Art of Animation #2: FROM MICKEY MOUSE to HERCULES Golden Boy: The Untold Story of William Holden