Start by marking “Disney's Art of Animation #1” as Want to Read:
Disney's Art of Animation #1

Disney's Art of Animation #1

A celebration of the magic behind the world's most famous animated films, this complete update of the classic Disney's Art of Animation debuts in time for the video release of Disney's latest animated spectacular, Beauty and the Beast. Four-color throughout.
Published October 1st 1992 by Disney Editions (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Disney's Art of Animation #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disney's Art of Animation #1

Drew Graham
Mar 09, 2011 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
I received this book as a gift more than ten years ago, and had glanced through it a few times, but never actually bothered to read it until now (I've recently decided I should get more out of my collection of art/animation books). It took me a while to read because I read it during down time at work. This book is divided into two parts. Evidently an update from a book Bob Thomas originally wrote in the late 1950s at Walt's request, the first 120 pages is a concise history of animation, specific ...more
Jaimie
May 10, 2015 Jaimie rated it liked it
Books about a company's history are generally polarizing for me (I either love them or I hate them), but this one fell somewhere in between. The writing could have stood to be improved a bit (not quite enough hard chronology made topics blend together a bit, and I would have appreciated each movie getting a proper treatment), but overall my impression was quite positive. Text nor images dominated each page and I wasn't struck by dissonance between the two - both of which are major problems for m ...more
Rachel Nabors
Dec 16, 2012 Rachel Nabors rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, animation
I picked up this edition of the book specifically because it was recommended on a "list of books for aspiring animators." It is a delightfully light introduction to the history of Disney animation, including some key animating tidbits. Examples of things I picked up:

Animations were in color before live films.
Disney monopolized colored cartoons for three years through a deal with Technicolor.
Disney encouraged animators to use bright colors because they were paying so much for the use!
Animators le
Garrett Cash
Nov 18, 2014 Garrett Cash rated it really liked it
Excellent classic on the art of animation in Disney films and shorts. It started out with ravishing detail on the early days of Disney's studio, but as time progressed to Walt's masterpiece features the writing became a bit too rushed and concise for my taste. Monumental films get only a page of surface level criticism. This trend gets worse as the book goes on, but thankfully it redeems itself by having half of the book be on Beauty and the Beast alone. The book is quite outdated, with 25 years ...more
Marcus Matossian
Dec 28, 2009 Marcus Matossian rated it it was amazing
This is a french book I bought in 1997 after "the art of Walt Disney" in 1993.

It is basically about all the process that goes on behind all the Disney animations up until Beauty and The Beast, with an in-depth exploration behind Beauty and the Beast.

Although it's in french ( a language I barely understand) I remember forcing my sister to read it to me and explain everything!

It's one of those books that made me love drawing and coming up with stories that would make an interesting animation.
L
Apr 20, 2009 L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very pleased with most of this book. The first half is a concise history of Walt Disney and the animation company he founded. The second half goes in detail from start to finish on the production of Beauty and the Beast.

My biggest complaint is that the book began with a lot of great insider information on the early Disney films. As time goes on, the author breezes more and more quickly through each film till by the end he is only writing a couple sentences about each film.

My perspective o
WaferBiscuits
While it offers a good introduction to Disney's history and animation itself through "Beauty and the Beast", I think it can only function as that. This book is purely surface level, but it explains things clearly and succinctly for someone just getting into the subject.

Even so, I would be more inclined to recommend Frank Thomas' and Ollie Johnson's "Illusion of Life" as a more in-depth take into the studio's very early history.
Danny
Nov 23, 2014 Danny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animation
A good overview of the history of Disney animation, chronicling the early days up to the latest Disney animated feature at the time of writing of the book: Beauty and the Beast. A big portion of the book is dedicated to the art of Beauty and the Beast. There's also an updated version of this book which goes all the way up to Hercules. The hardcover has a lenticular 3D cover.
Bree Johnson
Apr 02, 2014 Bree Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
Disney Beauty and the Beast:

This book is a tale of love and perseverance. I would use this book in the discussion part of the building knowledge part of a lesson plan. The goal would be for children to sustain attention to a specific activity and demonstrate persistence. This book could also be used as an example for children of how good deeds can help people in more than one way.
Annamarie
Jul 25, 2011 Annamarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This book was very interesting and informative about the history of Disney. Although the book does get dry at some points making it a little boring. All of the artwork that was pulled for the book was probably my favorite part, it was beautiful and reminded me why I love Disney so much.
Chris
Jun 11, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: art-design
The history of animation at Disney, up to the early 1990's. It has behind-the-scenes information and plenty of images.
Amber
Mar 27, 2008 Amber rated it liked it
This book gave a nice overview of Disney animation. Wonderful pictures and some good information.

Bulma Books
Alina
Alina rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
CartoonLikerGuy
CartoonLikerGuy rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2016
Greg Turnbull
Greg Turnbull rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2010
Emelin
Emelin rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Kristin Ciullo
Kristin Ciullo rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2012
Christine Sandford
Christine Sandford rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Alan Skinner
Alan Skinner rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Rae
Rae rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Dunkindean
Dunkindean rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Kayla Boesche
Kayla Boesche rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Kira
Kira rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
  • Disney's Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film
  • Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters from Mickey Mouse to Aladdin
  • The Disney Villain
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • The Art of Hercules: The Chaos of Creation
  • Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • Walt Disney's Nine Old Men and the Art of Animation
  • The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms
  • The Art of The Incredibles
  • Disney A to Z: The Official Encyclopedia (Third Edition)
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • Designing Disney
  • The Art of the Disney Princess
  • The Art of Up
  • The Art of Cars
  • The Art Of The Little Mermaid: A Disney Miniature (Disney Miniature)
Robert Joseph "Bob" Thomas was an American Hollywood film industry biographer and reporter who worked for the Associated Press from 1944.

Born in San Diego, he grew up in Los Angeles, where his father was a film publicist. He attended UCLA. He lived in Encino with his wife, Patricia. They have three daughters. Thomas, aged 92, died on March 14, 2014 at his home.

Thomas made his mark by engaging cele
More about Bob Thomas...