Start by marking “Daybreak” as Want to Read:
Daybreak

Daybreak

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Joan Baez' early autobiography. Gives insight into her pacivism and her humanitarian world views.
Published January 1st 1969 by Avon (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Daybreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daybreak

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyThe Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom WolfeHowl and Other Poems by Allen GinsbergAnother Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins1968 by Mark Kurlansky
The Counter-Culture of the 1960s
43rd out of 141 books — 51 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyWishful Drinking by Carrie FisherThe Funny Thing Is... by Ellen DeGeneresHere We Go Again by Betty WhiteIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Female Celebrity Books
152nd out of 155 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

Christopher Newton
Jun 08, 2015 Christopher Newton rated it really liked it
Such a lovely little book. I've been reading from my own shelves lately, books that I picked up here and there planning to read one day and now the day has come. This one is a yellowed paperback with a 1969 publishing date, a book I never knew existed (until I saw it) although I've liked Miss Joanie most of my life, first for her music, later for her spirit.
There is nothing anywhere in the little volume about about performing or about her career, although she was really on top in those years. In
Mark
Jul 30, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, memoir
Joan Baez possesses one of the greatest voices ever to grace America.
Her story is inspiring and uplifting. I'd love to hear her make an album of Civil War songs... it'd go down perfectly. With this book she carved out for herself a real place in culture, over and above her activist presence of the era. She's a darn good guitarist, too.
Velvetink
I have the Panther 1968 Edition.
Jess
Jan 20, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it
I've seen some versions of this book that market it as a journal, which is more apt than "memoir." I dug the strange way Baez wove scenes, but I can see why someone would find it annoying. She's just a mellow life force, and I enjoyed her sweet positivity.

(4/5)
Becky
Dec 23, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
"The only thing that's been a worse flop than the organization of nonviolence has been the organization of violence."

Some chapters in this slim book deserve a 4 or 5, but the quality and relevance of material is very inconsistent. Some moments of excellent story telling and glimpses of insight into the early influences that shaped Baez as an artist and activist--though if you didn't know her name, you would probably not glean that she ever had much influence outside her family and a few friends.
Leonor
Feb 01, 2016 Leonor rated it it was ok
Shelves: biografia
Demasiado no mundo da lua, ainda que com detalhes bastante interessantes sobre alguns temas.
Lp
Aug 09, 2007 Lp rated it really liked it
Memoir of Joan Baez. I read this about 30 years ago, when I didn't really know who she was. I was struck by the straightforward writing and the power of the story. Chapters are divided by poems and/or dreams. She wrote this when she was very young (27), so I'd like to read her follow-up memoir or two to see how she thinks it all turned out.
Timothy
Jul 13, 2007 Timothy rated it really liked it
i haven't finished it yet but ms. baez is a wonderful writer, and the stories of her childhood are quite entertaining. although for some reason there was a lot of animal carnage, which i had to skip over.
i also enjoy her folk music records, which are more traditional and less artsy than that other folky joan, joni mitchell.
Sharee
May 14, 2008 Sharee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like the folk revival, or poetry
There are a few moments in this book in which I was brought to tears. She's had a very rich life, from what I interpret, and I feel like this book further proves her dedication to helping others, to changing things, to pacifism. You can tell that she's still maturing, and I can't wait to see what her other memoir offers.
Tom Mueller
Aug 22, 2009 Tom Mueller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this as a prelude to re-reading her newer autobiography, Joan Baez
Daybreak has great insight into what lead Joan towards her activism and humanitarian world views.
Lauren
Aug 19, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Although I do not agree with her current political views, I read this book when it came out and enjoyed it very much. She has (or had?) a very engaging style of writing and I came away feeling like I knew her like a friend.
Dakota Lane
Mar 27, 2008 Dakota Lane rated it it was amazing
i love joan, i feel like she was my aunt. the book reminds you of green skies, stew and woodstoves, beaded curtains, someone singing on a waterbed, the smell of jasmine and the good old days.
Danielle
Written in 1967, Joan Baez's Daybreak is candid and heartbreaking. An interesting and entertaining read from a 2013 perspective. I wonder what Joan thinks of it now?
Jen
Jul 08, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Necessity is the mother of invention
Laurel
Jun 28, 2015 Laurel rated it it was amazing
This book was just beautiful. There were some slow moments, but I found myself not wanting it to end. I am quite the Joan Baez fan and had read her other book prior to reading this. From the moment I got into this book it struck me as personal and intimate. Joan is quite a lovely writer. The ending was touching and it made me emotional.
Keyra
Aug 07, 2013 Keyra rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!
Meredith MacInnis
Meredith MacInnis rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Orfeo Pecci
Orfeo Pecci rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Yael
Yael marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Aliza
Aliza rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Jessica Kinsella
Jessica Kinsella marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Jasmijn
Jasmijn marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
  • Greetings from Bury Park
  • The kingdom of infinite space : a fantastical journey around your head
  • A Freewheelin' Time: Greenwich Village in the Sixties, Bob Dylan and Me
  • Woody Guthrie
  • The End of War
  • Sailing Through China
  • The Messenger: The Meanings of the Life of Muhammad
  • Patti Smith: An Unauthorized Biography
  • Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Fariña, and Richard Fariña
  • El pez en el agua
  • House of Earth
  • Bob Dylan: A Biography
  • At the New Yorker
  • Living with the Dead: Twenty Years on the Bus with Garcia and the Grateful Dead
  • Buried Alive: The Biography of Janis Joplin
  • The Jack Kerouac Collection
  • Man in Black
  • Wild Harmonies: A Life of Music and Wolves
Joan Chandos Baez is an American folk singer and songwriter known for her highly individual vocal style. She is a soprano with a three-octave vocal range and a distinctively rapid vibrato. Many of her songs are topical and deal with social issues.

She is best known for her hits "There But For Fortune", "Diamonds & Rust" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", and to a lesser extent,"We Shall
More about Joan Baez...