Start by marking “Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)” as Want to Read:
Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)

Read Book* *Different edition

Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift #10)

American boys' fiction under pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate who produced Tom Swift series, Nancy Drew mysteries, the Hardy Boys, Dave Fearless and many others.
Published October 12th 2006 by IndyPublish.com (first published January 1st 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle

Bob
Tom seeing an add for an African adventure in intrigued and has completed his electric rifle when a big game hunter happens to be passing by the Swift house and is invited in to meet Mr. Swift. The upshot of the visit is that Tom along with Ned and The Blessing Man will be heading to Africa with the Hunter where they will pick a new aircraft that Tom has shipped ahead and set out to collect some ivory. By chance they meet and old acquaintance of Tom's and learn that he is headed to Africa as wel ...more
Nathan Gregory
Apr 05, 2015 Nathan Gregory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I see several reviewers making statements of outrage over this book. I feel the need to chime in with a couple of comments. First, the book was written in 1911. Societal sensibilities were VERY different then than today. Over the top feigned outrage over things deemed unacceptable by today's hypersensitive generation perhaps say more about the weakness and foibles of the current generation than that of years gone by. If you are not able to at least momentarily wear the garb of the early 1900's a ...more
Robert McCarroll
Apr 04, 2015 Robert McCarroll rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book in an attempt to find some inspiration, or at least something to throw out a reference to. It had the advantage of being old enough to be solidly public domain.

This book did not age well.

I don't know what the market for Young Adult Literature was like in 1911, but if an Indie Writer brought this to me today for a beta read or review, I'd flat out tell them "You have to start over from scratch".

I can't review this with 'in-period' sensibilities because I'm a hundred years to
Abhinav
Apr 15, 2014 Abhinav rated it did not like it
Whenever cruelty to any living form occurs, we have various respective activist groups cropping up in front of the lawns of the perpetrators of the crime or those associated with them. Having been published in an era where such events were unheard or even unthought of, it is but obvious that readers of works such as these were extremely poorly informed about science as well as had a morality the size of the eye of a needle! But beware you reader of the twenty first century, this book promises to ...more
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I have only read one other of the original Tom Swift novels (Tom Swift and his Photo Telephone)"," so I was not expecting the level of violence in this novel. Tom and his companions kill (and in some cases vaporize!) various wild animals and decimate a tribe of pygmies in this improbable adventure.Tom has invented a weapon which is not a rifle"," but a versatile beam weapon akin to the ray guns"," blasters"," and phasers of later science fiction.
Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 24, 2011 Mike (the Paladin) rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Again I can't find the edition and since I read this book in about 1965 and in another state it would be hard to track it down. I got it from a school library and that particular building is no longer in use...As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it's even still there. Tom ends up going on safari with his new electric rifle and (of course) conducting a rescue mission.

This book has some language that is not politically correct today though it wasn't considered a problem when it was published. Be awa
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Jan 02, 2016 Tiffany Tinkham-Graves rated it it was amazing
Really good old classic young readers book about a young inventor that invents this awesome inventions and then goes on these wild and crazy adventures, sometimes getting into trouble in the process.
Kanta
Feb 11, 2016 Kanta rated it did not like it
This book should be remembered, but not given to any child in this century. We should remember that this book, in all its hideous racism, was enjoyed by thousands of young white boys not so long ago.
Charlie Beck
Apr 24, 2013 Charlie Beck rated it it was ok
Tom invents a rifle that fires wireless electronic bullets and he and friends go to Africa to kill elephants for ivory and rescue captured missionaries from natives. It's action-packed and full of cliffhangers- but also quite racist and incredibly colonialist.
David Hibberd
Jun 09, 2012 David Hibberd rated it really liked it
I read the Tom Swift Sr. books as a child and again when I got my Kindle in 2010. They are an easy read and enjoyable. It is interesting to see how writing has changed since these books were written.
Dan
Feb 18, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
A fun, easy read. The electric rifle and airship are a little far fetched, but this is still a good story.
Bruce Hammond
Young adult from the early 20th century. Expect that.
Kevin Kauffman
Kevin Kauffman marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Christian Linn
Christian Linn rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Priscilla Baldwin
Priscilla Baldwin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Jays
Jays rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2016
Melissa Ondercin
Melissa Ondercin rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Connie Strang
Connie Strang rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Lisa Pearson
Lisa Pearson rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Apr 23, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Chris Larson
Chris Larson rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Peter Schiller
Peter Schiller rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Gordon
Gordon rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Elizabeth Sacksteder
Elizabeth Sacksteder rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Bob
Bob added it
Feb 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Victor Appleton was a house pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate and its successors, most famous for being associated with the Tom Swift series of books.

The character of Tom Swift was conceived in 1910 by Edward Stratemeyer, founder of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, a book-packaging company. Stratemeyer invented the series to capitalize on the market for
More about Victor Appleton...

Tom Swift (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle, or, Fun and Adventures on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #1)
  • Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2)
  • Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #3)
  • Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4)
  • Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout, or, the Speediest Car on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #5)
  • Tom Swift and His Wireless Message: or, the castaways of Earthquake island (Tom Swift Sr, #6)
  • Tom Swift Among the Diamond Makers, or, the Secret of Phantom Mountain (Tom Swift Sr, #7)
  • Tom Swift in the Caves of Ice, or, the Wreck of the Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #8)
  • Tom Swift and His Sky Racer, or, the Quickest Flight on Record (Tom Swift Sr, #9)
  • Tom Swift in the City of Gold (Tom Swift Sr, #11)