Start by marking “I Love Trains!” as Want to Read:
I Love Trains!

I Love Trains!

A follow-up to the successful I Love Trucks!, this rhymed picture book introduces the preschool set to trains and the jobs they do.
Published April 24th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about I Love Trains!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Trains!

Ben
Jan 18, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The art is... lazy, flat, and boring. The rhymes are really forced and "secret stuff that's under wrap" is just totally meaningless to a little kid. wtf?
Vivian
Nov 30, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This was the perfect book to introduce our "train" themed story time for pre-schoolers. The sparse text has elements of rhyme and just enough story to hold little one's attention.

The performer began by saying "I love hotdogs", anticipating some in the crowd to correct her by saying "trains!", which did happen in one session. However, in the first session someone in the crowd said, "me too!". So the performer said, "I love airplanes". More agreement from the crowd. Finally we all settled on "trai
Cheyenne Cortesi
This is a cardstock book for beginning kindergartners and is a total of twenty-eight pages. This story is about a little boy likes to watch trains pass and note the differences. He loves the last train best. This book does a great job of keeping the terminology simplistic for the reader. It also is created in such a way for the students to be able to hold the book well. This book does lack some sort of lesson to the story, however. This book can be used in the classroom to teach students on how ...more
jacky
A classmate brought this book in as part of her Literacy History presentation on her daughters. I gave this a read through because it was short and had huge print, but also because I think of a friend's half brother whenever I see train stuff for little boys. This would be a great book to teach about trains or to keep a child who already loved trains entertained. The front and back pages identify the parts of a train, but the bulk of the book reviews the info some and the ending is cute.
Asho
Here is yet another train book my son picked out at the library. It's not my favorite of the many, many train books we have read this year, but it is cute enough. After just a couple of readings my son can sort of "read" it to me, which is sweet. The pictures are colorful and clear. I think the end where the dad is on the caboose is a little strange as far as storybook twists go, but my son likes looking at the pictures of the family, so whatever.
Samantha
A rhyming story about all of the different things trains carry.

Illustrations are colorful and detailed and make it a good read aloud selection. The different cars of a train are featured on the inside front and back covers and explain what each car is designed to haul.

A good introductory title about trains and one that incites interest in the subject.
Joann Aubain
I thought this book was ok. Not as engaging as I would like to think. However, it is very informative on different types of trains and their functions. This would be a great book if you have a theme of Vehicles or trucks.

The learning experience would be to have children in describe trains from their experience and engage the children in identifying their functions.
Sha-Quita Jordan
Jan 24, 2011 Sha-Quita Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: things-that-go
This book was a great book. It should be read to kindergartners or first grade. A boy expresses his love of trains, describing many kinds of train cars and their special jobs. I recommend this book because it speaks about the special jobs for flat, hopper, and box cars. Also the illustrations are in bright colors.
Samantha Penrose
Feb 02, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This book is filled with bold, colorful illustrations and very basic but informative text. Learn about the different cars of the train and what purpose they serve.
A good storytime book for little ones, also a good book for emergent readers as its short, simple, easy to memorize, and has lots of picture clues.
Bethany Erickson
There is really an art to writing and illustrating children's books. It's pretty apparent when neither nail it in a book. The illustrations are by far better than the writing. All the same, not well thought out, and what if your dad doesn't work on one? I read the first lines of this "Trains, trains, trains, I love trains." and my daughter throws the book.
Mama
Oct 30, 2014 Mama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute for a 4yr old train lover.
He loved looking at all the different cars of the train.
Simple sentences, quick read.
Looked back at the pictures when the story was finished, and slept with the book.
Jocelyn
Jan 27, 2013 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-books
My 2 year old loved this book so much, he cried when I had to return it to the library. It has cute illustrations and non-technical train terminology. It is endearing that the boy likes trains so much because his Dad is a train conductor. Looks like we'll be buying this one.
Rachel
This was a cute but very simple book about a young boy who loves trains, not only the different parts of the train, but also because his daddy works in the caboose of on. I like the brightly colored blocky illustrations, which are perfect for toddlers. Recommended for ages 2-6, 3 stars.
Jennifer Heise
Mar 28, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekman
Ok, so we love "I love trucks!" more than this one (we've been reading that from ages 2 to 5 with my boy), but this definitely has same charm and rollicking repetition. A good choice for train-themed activities or to share with young train enthusiasts.
Scarlet
A cute book about trains and what each car on the train does. Some hold animals, some people, some food, but they all hold things that people love.

Good book to introduce children early about trains and transporation.
Vicki
Feb 04, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, tiny-tots
Perfect story for train lovers!
Superreader300
Jul 05, 2015 Superreader300 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like this book because it rhymes.
Elyse
Oct 19, 2011 Elyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book explains what the different cars are used for. It has fun pictures, and is all around a fun book.
Emily Leeds
Mar 07, 2015 Emily Leeds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A short but informative book about the train cars and what they do or carry. Simply and cute illustrations.
Robin
Jan 21, 2015 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great title for a train-themed storytime! Always love these Shari Halpern illustrations.
Annalee T
Oct 30, 2011 Annalee T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isaac can actually "read" some of the pages! I LOVE this book!
Sarah Baker
Oct 20, 2016 Sarah Baker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thomas
Not a great rhyme scheme, but my toddler likes it because trains.
Kate
Nov 05, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
Uninspired with a terrible rhyme scheme. The art is boring and flat. My son loves it because he loves trains but it leaves a lot to be desired.
Sandy
Aug 25, 2010 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The children love this book
Mindy
Feb 26, 2008 Mindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lincoln LOVES trains, so we read this book about 50 times! He LOVED it, and can read it over and over to me! We got it from the library, and I would suggest it if anyones children love trains!
Christina
Jul 03, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have several of these books and like them all. Works great for two years old.
Paula
Bold colorful illustrations with rhyming short text. A little boy observes the train that passes by his house.
Bonnie
Oct 12, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Little dude loves trains (and other vehicles) so he enjoyed this very simple book.
Aug 03, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childern, dirk-s
Gives you and overview of trains. Dirk's personal favorite.
  • My Car
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Five Little Chicks
  • A Truck Goes Rattley-Bumpa
  • Trains: Steaming! Pulling! Huffing!
  • Duckie's Rainbow