Start by marking “I Love Trains!” as Want to Read:
I Love Trains!

I Love Trains!

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A follow-up to the successful I Love Trucks!, this rhymed picture book introduces the preschool set to trains and the jobs they do.
Published April 24th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about I Love Trains!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Trains!

Vivian
This was the perfect book to introduce our "train" themed story time for pre-schoolers. The sparse text has elements of rhyme and just enough story to hold little one's attention.

The performer began by saying "I love hotdogs", anticipating some in the crowd to correct her by saying "trains!", which did happen in one session. However, in the first session someone in the crowd said, "me too!". So the performer said, "I love airplanes". More agreement from the crowd. Finally we all settled on "trai
Cheyenne Cortesi
This is a cardstock book for beginning kindergartners and is a total of twenty-eight pages. This story is about a little boy likes to watch trains pass and note the differences. He loves the last train best. This book does a great job of keeping the terminology simplistic for the reader. It also is created in such a way for the students to be able to hold the book well. This book does lack some sort of lesson to the story, however. This book can be used in the classroom to teach students on how ...more
Ben
The art is... lazy, flat, and boring. The rhymes are really forced and "secret stuff that's under wrap" is just totally meaningless to a little kid. wtf?
Asho
Here is yet another train book my son picked out at the library. It's not my favorite of the many, many train books we have read this year, but it is cute enough. After just a couple of readings my son can sort of "read" it to me, which is sweet. The pictures are colorful and clear. I think the end where the dad is on the caboose is a little strange as far as storybook twists go, but my son likes looking at the pictures of the family, so whatever.
Bethany Erickson
There is really an art to writing and illustrating children's books. It's pretty apparent when neither nail it in a book. The illustrations are by far better than the writing. All the same, not well thought out, and what if your dad doesn't work on one? I read the first lines of this "Trains, trains, trains, I love trains." and my daughter throws the book.
Jennifer Heise
Ok, so we love "I love trucks!" more than this one (we've been reading that from ages 2 to 5 with my boy), but this definitely has same charm and rollicking repetition. A good choice for train-themed activities or to share with young train enthusiasts.
Rachel
This was a cute but very simple book about a young boy who loves trains, not only the different parts of the train, but also because his daddy works in the caboose of on. I like the brightly colored blocky illustrations, which are perfect for toddlers. Recommended for ages 2-6, 3 stars.
Mama
Cute for a 4yr old train lover.
He loved looking at all the different cars of the train.
Simple sentences, quick read.
Looked back at the pictures when the story was finished, and slept with the book.
Emily Leeds
A short but informative book about the train cars and what they do or carry. Simply and cute illustrations.
Robin
This is a great title for a train-themed storytime! Always love these Shari Halpern illustrations.
Christina
We have several of these books and like them all. Works great for two years old.
Keshia
It was trains, so of course my 2 year old boy loved it. Good story. cute ending.
Superreader300
I don't like this book because it rhymes.
Bonnie
Little dude loves trains (and other vehicles) so he enjoyed this very simple book.
jacky
A classmate brought this book in as part of her Literacy History presentation on her daughters. I gave this a read through because it was short and had huge print, but also because I think of a friend's half brother whenever I see train stuff for little boys. This would be a great book to teach about trains or to keep a child who already loved trains entertained. The front and back pages identify the parts of a train, but the bulk of the book reviews the info some and the ending is cute.
Samantha
A rhyming story about all of the different things trains carry.

Illustrations are colorful and detailed and make it a good read aloud selection. The different cars of a train are featured on the inside front and back covers and explain what each car is designed to haul.

A good introductory title about trains and one that incites interest in the subject.
Joann Aubain
I thought this book was ok. Not as engaging as I would like to think. However, it is very informative on different types of trains and their functions. This would be a great book if you have a theme of Vehicles or trucks.

The learning experience would be to have children in describe trains from their experience and engage the children in identifying their functions.
Sha-Quita Jordan
This book was a great book. It should be read to kindergartners or first grade. A boy expresses his love of trains, describing many kinds of train cars and their special jobs. I recommend this book because it speaks about the special jobs for flat, hopper, and box cars. Also the illustrations are in bright colors.
Samantha Penrose
This book is filled with bold, colorful illustrations and very basic but informative text. Learn about the different cars of the train and what purpose they serve.
A good storytime book for little ones, also a good book for emergent readers as its short, simple, easy to memorize, and has lots of picture clues.
Jocelyn
My 2 year old loved this book so much, he cried when I had to return it to the library. It has cute illustrations and non-technical train terminology. It is endearing that the boy likes trains so much because his Dad is a train conductor. Looks like we'll be buying this one.
Scarlet
A cute book about trains and what each car on the train does. Some hold animals, some people, some food, but they all hold things that people love.

Good book to introduce children early about trains and transporation.
Mindy
Lincoln LOVES trains, so we read this book about 50 times! He LOVED it, and can read it over and over to me! We got it from the library, and I would suggest it if anyones children love trains!
Dylan Reisz
I actually like this book more than mommy. I like it for the train pictures. The story itself is really pretty tepid and uninteresting.
Paula
Bold colorful illustrations with rhyming short text. A little boy observes the train that passes by his house.
Elyse
This book explains what the different cars are used for. It has fun pictures, and is all around a fun book.
Annaleemb
Isaac can actually "read" some of the pages! I LOVE this book!
Sharper1
Rhyming cadence is a little off, but train fanatics will like it.
Alison
I give this one four stars because Zach really enjoys it.
Gives you and overview of trains. Dirk's personal favorite.
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Hibernation Station
  • A Kiss Like This
  • The Goodnight Train
  • A Good Day
The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza I Love Trucks! I Love Bugs! How Do You Make a Baby Smile? I Love School!