Start by marking “The Glass Teat” as Want to Read:
The Glass Teat

The Glass Teat

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  743 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The founders of modern literary fancy deserve their own place in the light. The Borealis Legends line is a tribute to the creators of the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres as we know them today.
Published May 1st 1983 by Ace (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Teat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glass Teat

Marvin
Lost my copy years ago and would love to find another. The Glass Teat was a column by Ellison in The L.A. Free Press in the 70s (I think). The collection is an exceptional example of Ellison's essay writing talents; abrasive, insightful and usually controversial. There is a lot of emphasis on screenwriting for TV and the TV business, both about Ellison experiences and his opinion of other writers, producers and shows. I do get the feeling that Ellison must have been hell to work with on a set. Y ...more
Markt5660
This is one of those books I've been waiting years to read (it's pretty hard to find). It's early Ellison in all his fiery liberal glory. Completely unabashed and unrepentant (ok, there are a few, rare moments when he does apologize). The modern reader will need to work to get past all the hip, 60's language but you're rewarded with a singular view of the times. Ostensibly about TV, these columns are really about TV's ability to manipulate and be manipulated. He uses TV as a medium to talk about ...more
Jim Cherry
“The Glass Teat” started life as a column by Harlan Ellison in the L.A. Free Press, about television and the media. It’s a peek behind the screen that shows not a haggard showman pulling levers, but the slick manipulations of corporations pushing buttons, our buttons.

“The Glass Teat” looks behind the banality of the stories the shows presented and reveals the subliminal messages embedded in the television shows we watch daily and take for granted. Television is far from being the “vast wasteland
Inanna Arthen
I read this book chiefly for its example of contemporary writing style and attitudes in a "free press" publication in the late 1960s. I bought a used copy planning to cherry-pick the essays and ended up reading it straight through. Read in retrospective, it's a fascinating picture of how much some things have changed and how much (depressingly) some others have not. I'm old enough to remember most of the TV shows that Ellison discusses, and in some cases, I wish he'd gone into more detail (he re ...more
Angelia Sparrow
Wonderful book on the banality of television. VERY dated, but an excellent time capsule.
William
This was one of my favorite books as a teenager. I read the entire thing (and its sequel) out loud to myself, some columns more than once. Ellison seemed like the most vital writer I'd ever encountered. 40 years later, it all seems kind of embarrassing, Ellison seems particularly uncool despite his self-regard, his political statements never get below the surface. His accounts of things that happened to him seem untrustworthy--he tends to come off as the One Righteous Individual in most situatio ...more
Paul Dickey
A little while ago I had written an article about rediscovering Harlan and of my goal on reading all of his books in published order. Well, in moving forward with this goal I recently read The Glass Teat.
I was looking forward to this book, since it has a great reputation, being well reviewed and received. Also the book contains columns of articles Mr. Ellison wrote in the late sixties for the Los Angeles Free Press and I am a huge fan of Mr. Ellison’s essays.
Now I had heard this book was about
Steven
Seth Madej
This is a great book if you're interested in the socio-political climate of the late Sixties through the viewpoint of an intelligent, critical thinking progressive. Thing is I read it because I'm interested in television, and a minority of these collected columns from the Los Angeles Free Press look at TV without 44-year-old activist glasses. (Though history repeats, and I was struck how some of Ellison's smartest, angriest rants--with just a few proper nouns substituted--could've been peeled st ...more
Tracey
I'd been wanting to read The Glass Teat for some time now & finally got around to making an ILL request for it.

The book is a collection of columns written for The Los Angeles Free Press from October 1968 - January 1970. I'm mildly disappointed. I was hoping Ellison would discuss television programming from the time more specifically; instead he focused more on politics & how The Establishment uses the boob tube to disinform the public. As opinionated as ever, Ellison rails against the A
David Allen
Comprising 52 of Ellison's ostensible TV columns for the underground Los Angeles Free Press from 1968-70, most of these pieces are about anything but TV. Instead, they are a window into a moment when youth culture was struggling to gain a foothold in the media and the Establishment in the form of Nixon, Agnew and Reagan was overwhelming all dissent. Urgent and impatient. Also, the fall 1969 network lineup lacked promise.
John
Aged worse than his other books, which are often good. Lots of milk and honey for the "Complain about the world while sunbathing by your parent's swimming pool" crowd. Worth reading if you think the Smothers Brothers were important. Be honest, the Carol Burnett Show holds up better.
Rob
Harlan Ellison is a writer whose style I have always admired. His emotion bleeds from the pages.

This book is a collection of columns he wrote for The Los Angeles Free Press forty years ago. Technically they're all about television, but they are more an historical document that gives the reader an insight into the zeitgeist of America during the Vietnam era.

What's most surprising is how contemporary they seem. You could easily replace Nixon/Agnew with Bush/Cheney.

Also, Ellison's observations obse
Don
Turns out Ellison was right and TV *did* turn peoples' brains into tapioca pudding.

Excellent writing. He gets top marks for high proof irascibility, only losing some credit because he persistently buys into partisan politics, instead of realizing that the left and right have a common enemy in government.

But then, few do.
Joseph Clark
First read this book in college, have kept my copy ever since. If you think about how invasive and pervasive television is in our lives, this book will hit home. For all of the people who get upset about television characters getting killed off in their favorite shows, or voted off the island, or off the stage, or whatever, this book will give you an insight into just how much television you watch and how much time you waste watching it. Even Ellison admits to wasting 4 hours at a stretch in fro ...more
Bob
One of the funniest damned books I ever read in my life
Justin
The Glass Teat is an interesting collection of TV review columns by noted cranky old man Harlan Ellison (who used to be with it, man, he used to be hip. He used to want to rap with the kids instead of... I am out of hippie jargon).

I didn't track it as I went through, but I wonder what percentage of the columns were "Saw this on TV and I don't like it/like it/Where'd the Smothers Brothers go!?" and what are "Man, Nixon sucks and this is why". As a historical document it's pretty neat.
William Cameron
Possibly the first Harlan Ellison stuff I ever read. Picked the two Glass Teat collections of Ellison reviews of TV and Movies at a used bookstore on a trip to Canada with the fam when I was. maybe 13 (or even younger?). I love Ellison when hes in Reviewer
mode. This of course lead to his Fiction... All those shows covered are Wicked dated now, but If you can find a copy in some used bookstore somewhere for cheep money, def worth a read!
Ray Charbonneau
Admittedly, Harlan is right about the corporate media, but the books is still a product of its time, and after 40 years, it hasn't aged well. If you're not old enough to remember the shows Harlan writes about (when he's not busy writing about himself), you'll be lost. Works better as an example of aging writer striving to appear hip, when hip was cool (or whatever the right term is these days).
Bill
If you were alive during the 70's and watching television, or you've watched repeats of shows from the 70's, this book will also add social commentary and context to that era.

Ellison brings both an insiders view to the industry as well as an acerbic insight (his, it is in no way objective) to his television commentary, and I suspect you'll get angry reading it, laugh a bit, and think.
Lyf
A very pointed and thought provoking read on television in the late 60's early 70's. Much of it is still relevant today, except for the way the obvious big wigs tried to strangle good TV back then. There is still that threat today, but it's much more intricate and subversive. I would love for Ellison to take up the reins of the glass teat column again in this day and age!
L.
A collection of reviews and criticism's written in the mid 70's. The shows are long dead but the criticisms of the industry hold up well. If more critics shared his trenchant views, and put them down; TV would have a chance of not being a vast wasteland. Read this and "The Other Glass Teat" if you want to understand what is happening in TV, or just to have fun.
L Greyfort
Collection of Ellison's television reviews - fascinating entree to the mindset of the 1960's. His discussion of the TV shows becomes a jumping-off point for his passion in regard to the issues of the day -- this volume (and its sequel, "The Other Glass Teat") is virtually a time travel experience. As always with Ellison, you are transported by his fervor.
Bondama
Just as "Dangerous Visions" changed the entire field of speculative fiction, "The Glass Teat" gave Ellison a opportunity to change the television genre. It may have taken a few years, but with the advent of cable & premium station and their lack of compulsive censorship, Ellison's book of TV criticism (now mostly outdated) is fascinating reading.
lahvyndr
Eloquent vitriolic Harlan Ellison transcribes his newspaper columns... reads like um, that tall radio talk-show person...Oh yes, Howard Stern. But with more complex concepts, sentences, and conscience. And suggestions for how to fix the dumbing of America mixed into the insults.
Nathan
This is a collection of articles Ellison wrote for a newspaper in the last 60's/early 70's about television. Despite it's age, the points he makes about TV's effects on our society & about how terrible most of it's programming is are still relevant today.
Jeremy Hornik
Harlan Ellison's TV criticism, with some stories about working in TV and other miscellany worked in. Raw and angry, and even a hundred years ago when I was reading it, the references were ancient. Still, it struck a nerve with me.
Patrick
Though many of the TV shows reviewed here are dated, the criticism provides a fascinating snapshot of the sixties in the US as well as Ellison's passion for justice in a turbulent era.
Tressa
Harlan Ellison has some interesting views on the influence of the great glass teat (television) on society. Scathing, comical but always on the mark. Ellison is a great essayist.
Michelle
A scathing yet forthright analysis of many TV shows. Remarkable reading even so many years since some of the 'targeted' shows have faded into reruns or celluloid heaven!
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • Seagalogy: a Study of the Ass-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal
  • The First 200 Years of Monty Python
  • The Wire: Truth Be Told
  • The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam V. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut
  • The Shakespeare Miscellany
  • Hollywood Gothic: The Tangled Web of Dracula from Novel to Stage to Screen
  • The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin'
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Eisner/Miller
  • Heathers
  • A Benjamin Franklin Reader
  • City of Nets: A Portrait of Hollywood in the 1940s
  • Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up
  • Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors
  • Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts the Faith and Threatens America: An Evangelical's Lament
  • The Brand New Monty Python Papperbok
Harlan Jay Ellison is a prolific American writer of short stories, novellas, teleplays, essays, and criticism.

His literary and television work has received many awards. He wrote for the original series of both The Outer Limits and Star Trek as well as The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; edited the multiple-award-winning short story anthology series Dangerous Visions; and served as creative consultant/write
More about Harlan Ellison...
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream Dangerous Visions Again, Dangerous Visions Deathbird Stories "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman

“Ours is a society so immersed in the sea of video reactions that there are little old ladies out there who know Hoss Cartwright is more real than their next door neighbors. Everyone of value to them is an image. A totem. A phosphor-dot wraith whose hurts and triumphs are created from the magic of a scenarist’s need to make the next payment on his Porsche. (I recommend a book titled Bug Jack Barron by Norman Spinrad, for a more complete, and horrifying analysis of this phenomenon. It’s an Avon paperback, so it shouldn’t trouble you too much to pick it up.) But because of this acceptance of the strangers who appear on the home screen, ours has become a society where shadow and reality intermix to the final elimination of any degree of rational selectivity on the part of those whose lives are manipulated: by the carnivores who flummox them, and the idols they choose to worship. I don’t know that there’s any answer to this. If we luck out and we get a John Kennedy or a Leonard Nimoy (who, strangely enough, tie in to one another by the common denominator of being humane), then we can’t call it a bad thing. But if we wind up with a public image that governs us as Ronald Reagan and Joe Pyne govern us, then we are in such deep trouble the mind turns to aluminum thinking of it.” 1 likes
“The only difference, I suppose, between them and me is that I never set out to write shit. (That is: merely sufficient, average.) And of all the crimes that may be attributed to me—numbering among them rudeness, lechery, viciousness, imprudence and disgusting egocentricity—the one that can never be laid on me is the one epitomized by the line, “I just write what they want, by Tuesday, take the money and run.” 0 likes