Start by marking “When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours: Joe Teller - A Portrait By His Kid” as Want to Read:
When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours: Joe Teller - A Portrait By His Kid

When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours: Joe Teller - A Portrait By His Kid

On a visit to his elderly artist-parents, Teller found a dusty portfolio of cartoons that his father drew in 1939. Teller asked about the people in the drawings: the streetcar operators, waitresses, soldiers, bums. And Mam and Pad (Irene and Joe) began to unfold the hidden history of their world before their Bundle of Joy came along. Out came the Hobo Shoebox, full of lett ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Blast Books

To ask other readers questions about When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours

Marla
Jun 18, 2013 Marla rated it it was amazing
This book was like a nice little gift. I particularly treasured the description of his parents' table cloth, and several other subtle details that it takes a sensitive eye to appreciate. The book is quite short, but contains an assortment of nice depression-era cartoons and an interesting series of letters home from Mr. Teller Senior's hobo days. I felt like I really got acquainted with the Tellers, and felt privileged. I can't imagine being a person who wouldn't enjoy this book.
Robert
Jan 24, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2014-15-season
A loving look back into a mans life.
Amy
Feb 12, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a sweet memory. I checked this book out because I love Penn & Teller's act and I especially loved Teller's article in The Atlantic about his love of "Enoch Soames." He's an interesting person and a good writer, an excellent combination. Teller's parents really come through. At times, it was like getting to sit with my own depression-era grandparents and at other times the story was quite specific and unique to the Tellers. The inclusion of his parents' art adds quite a bit to the sto ...more
Ed Nemo
Aug 01, 2013 Ed Nemo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biograghy
I will read just about anything by Penn or Teller. I picked this book up at a show and had Penn and Teller sign it. It was not what I was expecting; however, it was extremely interesting and engaging. Based on drawings and stories from Teller's family; I found the concept of a gentleman hobo an interesting look at a life and time I had never seen. The book is a sweet love letter to Teller's family and well worth the read. I will admit that I would not have read it if it didn't have Teller's name ...more
Cortney Jean
Aug 03, 2014 Cortney Jean rated it it was amazing
A COMPLETELY delightful insight into life of the 1930s. I initially grabbed it off the library shelf due to my (semi-creepy) obsessiveness with Teller, my favorite magician, but instead found a very touching biography of a young man in an almost outgrown era. It was really amazing. Especially knowing that his father died a few years later and with the recent death of my older dad, I feel a kinship with Teller as the Kid and wanting to know more about our parents' past before it's too late.
Nancy Brady
Jul 15, 2010 Nancy Brady rated it liked it
This book is a combination of a memoir of his father and mother, especially his father, and his father's artwork (cartoons, paintings, and more). Published when Teller's father is 87, Teller (and his father) tell about his life through humor, artwork, and his writings (letters and postcards sent from his life on the road--he was a hobo during the 1930s). It's a quick read, but the cartoons are something to return to time and again.
Kristin Henning
Sep 07, 2014 Kristin Henning rated it really liked it
A simple and lovely tale of the discovery of Teller's father's stash of cartoons. While discovering and ultimately publishing the heretofore unpublished drawings, Teller reveals the sweet love between his parents, their artistic essence, and the mischievous parenting style that fans will recognize in Teller's work on stage with Penn.
laurel
Cute. Spattered with lots of little jokes. I find it terribly impressive that in their late 80s and early 90s, they were still walking around Philly, making big dinners, painting, etc. Bodes well for Teller's lifespan.
Tim
Aug 19, 2012 Tim rated it did not like it
Yes, of Penn and. Slight little thing about his unusual artist parents (who are Philadelphians, and in fact still live somewhere near the Inquirer building). Sounds like he had fun growing up, but why he felt we needed to hear it is beyond me.
Allison
Nov 12, 2010 Allison rated it liked it
A fun read.
Charles
Mar 14, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This book really portrays the generational differences between early 1900's and now. I cannot imagine anyone doing now the amazing things that Teller's father did back then.
JZ
Mar 10, 2009 JZ rated it liked it
Shelves: own, memoir
A really sweet memoir, a son discovering that there was life before his in the nicest way.
Candice Mccarther
Oct 20, 2012 Candice Mccarther rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-reads
Very sweet and touching story. I love the unique writing style of Teller and the relationship he has with his parents.
Elizabeth A.
Elizabeth A. rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
David Rubenstein
David Rubenstein rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Carlos De Leon
Carlos De Leon rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Ali Summers
Ali Summers rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2008
Neil Sarver
Neil Sarver rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Marmacinn
Marmacinn rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Meagan Walsh
Meagan Walsh rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Bonnie Fazio
Bonnie Fazio rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Lisa Freethinker
Lisa Freethinker rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Judith K Lawson
Judith K Lawson rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Teller (born Raymond Joseph Teller) is an American illusionist, comedian and writer best known as the silent half of the comedy magic duo known as Penn & Teller, along with Penn Jillette. He legally changed his name to "Teller" and possesses one of the few United States passports issued in a single name.
More about Teller...