When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours: Joe Teller - A Portrait By His Kid

When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours: Joe Teller - A Portrait By His Kid

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  11 reviews
On a visit to his elderly artist-parents, Teller found a dusty portfolio of cartoons that his father drew in 1939. Teller asked about the people in the drawings: the streetcar operators, waitresses, soldiers, bums. And Mam and Pad (Irene and Joe) began to unfold the hidden history of their world before their Bundle of Joy came along. Out came the Hobo Shoebox, full of lett...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Blast Books

To ask other readers questions about When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I'm Dead All This Will Be Yours

Marla
This book was like a nice little gift. I particularly treasured the description of his parents' table cloth, and several other subtle details that it takes a sensitive eye to appreciate. The book is quite short, but contains an assortment of nice depression-era cartoons and an interesting series of letters home from Mr. Teller Senior's hobo days. I felt like I really got acquainted with the Tellers, and felt privileged. I can't imagine being a person who wouldn't enjoy this book.
Amy
This is a sweet memory. I checked this book out because I love Penn & Teller's act and I especially loved Teller's article in The Atlantic about his love of "Enoch Soames." He's an interesting person and a good writer, an excellent combination. Teller's parents really come through. At times, it was like getting to sit with my own depression-era grandparents and at other times the story was quite specific and unique to the Tellers. The inclusion of his parents' art adds quite a bit to the sto...more
Cortney Jean
A COMPLETELY delightful insight into life of the 1930s. I initially grabbed it off the library shelf due to my (semi-creepy) obsessiveness with Teller, my favorite magician, but instead found a very touching biography of a young man in an almost outgrown era. It was really amazing. Especially knowing that his father died a few years later and with the recent death of my older dad, I feel a kinship with Teller as the Kid and wanting to know more about our parents' past before it's too late.
Ed Nemo
I will read just about anything by Penn or Teller. I picked this book up at a show and had Penn and Teller sign it. It was not what I was expecting; however, it was extremely interesting and engaging. Based on drawings and stories from Teller's family; I found the concept of a gentleman hobo an interesting look at a life and time I had never seen. The book is a sweet love letter to Teller's family and well worth the read. I will admit that I would not have read it if it didn't have Teller's name...more
Nancy Brady
This book is a combination of a memoir of his father and mother, especially his father, and his father's artwork (cartoons, paintings, and more). Published when Teller's father is 87, Teller (and his father) tell about his life through humor, artwork, and his writings (letters and postcards sent from his life on the road--he was a hobo during the 1930s). It's a quick read, but the cartoons are something to return to time and again.
Tim
Yes, of Penn and. Slight little thing about his unusual artist parents (who are Philadelphians, and in fact still live somewhere near the Inquirer building). Sounds like he had fun growing up, but why he felt we needed to hear it is beyond me.
Laurel
Cute. Spattered with lots of little jokes. I find it terribly impressive that in their late 80s and early 90s, they were still walking around Philly, making big dinners, painting, etc. Bodes well for Teller's lifespan.
Charles
This book really portrays the generational differences between early 1900's and now. I cannot imagine anyone doing now the amazing things that Teller's father did back then.
Candice Mccarther
Very sweet and touching story. I love the unique writing style of Teller and the relationship he has with his parents.
Jz
Mar 18, 2011 Jz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir, own
A really sweet memoir, a son discovering that there was life before his in the nicest way.
Allison
A fun read.
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Racher
Racher added it
Aug 01, 2014
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Lane Tobar
Lane Tobar marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
David
David added it
Mar 03, 2014
Ami
Ami marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Teller (born Raymond Joseph Teller) is an American illusionist, comedian and writer best known as the silent half of the comedy magic duo known as Penn & Teller, along with Penn Jillette. He legally changed his name to "Teller" and possesses one of the few United States passports issued in a single name.
More about Teller...
Tour Of Darkness (Savage Worlds) House of Mystery: The Magic Science of David P. Abbott (Volume #2) House of Mystery: The Magic Science of David P. Abbott (Volume #1) Penn and Teller's How to Play with Your Food Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends