Start by marking “Ininatig's Gift of Sugar: Traditional Native Sugarmaking” as Want to Read:
Ininatig's Gift of Sugar: Traditional Native Sugarmaking

Ininatig's Gift of Sugar: Traditional Native Sugarmaking

In this unique series, Native American authors examine their cultural traditions, from Navajo rug weaving in the Southwest to wild rice gathering in northern Minnesota. Each book describes these customs as they are seen through the eyes of the participants and discusses how Native American people maintain their cultural identities in contemporary society.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Lerner Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ininatig's Gift of Sugar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ininatig's Gift of Sugar

Manybooks
Apr 19, 2010 Manybooks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: older children and adults interested in maple syrup, or Native American culture
With an engaging, informative text and spectacular photographs, a detailed step-by-step description of traditional Anishinaabe sugar-making is presented (not only of the sugaring process itself, but also of the traditions, the culture of Anishinaabe sugarmaking, the knowledge passed down from generation to generation). Even though the text of Ininatig's Gift of Sugar is primarily informative and non-fictional, it does draw you in emotionally; you feel like an active participant, not just a passi ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 30, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who’ve enjoyed maple syrup/sugar; if interested in modern Native Americans &/or nature
Recommended to Lisa by: Manybooks
I am a maple sugar fool and also enjoy reading all I can about Native Americans, so I knew this book would be my cup of tea. I love maple syrup, maple sugar candy and maple butter (if both are made with 100% maple syrup), I love Pete Seeger’s “Maple Syrup Time” song, so I was grateful when my Goodreads’ friend Gundula alerted me to this book, and thrilled when my library (my branch!) had a copy on the shelf. And, I did treat myself to a few small pieces of organic maply syrup hard candy as I was ...more
David
Apr 26, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
Ininatig's Gift of Sugar: Traditional Native Sugarmaking (We Are Still Here) by Laura Waterman Wittstock is a excellent look at traditional Native American sugarmaking. This story of Anishinabe people in Minnesota shows them conducting sugarmaking camps where they not only make maple syrup and maple sugar, but teach yong people about the traditions and process. The tale of Inintaig, the Man-tree and his gift of sugar making to Native American people is incorparated into the story.

The book is inf
Evelyn Chen
Feb 13, 2010 Evelyn Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: native-american
APA Citation:
Wittstock, Laura WatermanKakkak, Dal. (1993) Ininatig's gift of sugar :traditional native sugarmaking Minneapolis : Lerner Publications Co.,

Reading Interest/Level: Grades 2-5

Summary:
This book details the steps of how syrup is extracted from maple trees to make sugar. A short tale from the Anishinabe tribe preludes the detailed steps, revealing that sugar-making requires an intimate respect between the individual and the tree.

Reflection:
It wasn't until I visited a maple syrup farm i
Dolly
Apr 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a rather long (and somewhat dated), but fascinating look at an annual sugarmaking event in Minnesota. The process is outlined in detail and there are lots of photographs that show the people in action. It's an informative story, but we had to read it in parts or else our girls would quickly lose interest. I like that it depicts a mixture of old ways and new technology to preserve a Native American cultural tradition.

This book was chosen as one of the selections for the May 2011 Spring-ti
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Lynn Marie Bushey
Lynn Marie Bushey rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Brigid
Brigid rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Karol
Karol rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2011
Carolynne
Carolynne marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2010
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Apr 11, 2011
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
May 11, 2011
Heather (DeathByBook)
Heather (DeathByBook) marked it as to-read
May 26, 2011
Ronyell
Ronyell marked it as to-read
May 26, 2011
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
May 27, 2011
Gerard
Gerard marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2012
Nativida
Nativida marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Tina Smith
Tina Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Alysa
Alysa added it
Jan 27, 2015
Fatima
Fatima added it
Jul 29, 2015
Estela
Estela marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2016
Georg Schramayr
Georg Schramayr is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2016
Maeve
Maeve marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016