Start by marking “Come to Your Senses: Demystifying the Mind Body Connection” as Want to Read:
Come to Your Senses: Demystifying the Mind Body Connection

Come to Your Senses: Demystifying the Mind Body Connection

In this newly revised edition of the award-winning Come to Your Senses: Demystifying the Mind-Body Connection, Dr. Stanley Block offers his Ten-Day Plan to optimize your life -- a breakthrough program that has helped people all over the world heal from post-traumatic stress syndrome, combat trauma, substance abuse, mental illness, pain, and depression.

The easy-to-apply me
Published March 28th 2005 by Atria Books/Beyond Words (first published March 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Come to Your Senses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come to Your Senses

David
Sep 17, 2013 David rated it liked it
As a disciple of the John Sarno school of mind-body philosophies, I was interested in reading a different slant on the topic. While Sarno deals primarily with pain management, Stanley H. Block focuses more on anxiety and deficiencies in feelings of well being. His basic tenet is that our feelings of depression, angst, poor self-esteem, etc. are the result of an over-active Identity System as a result of a "damaged self". He attributes this condition to innate "fixer" and "depressor" tendencies w ...more
TaraLynn Thompson
Oct 12, 2008 TaraLynn Thompson rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book in an elective graduate course in my social work program. I was interested in the mind-body connection b/c of how emotional stress can affect the body. This book addresses that, but so much more. The best thing about coming to your senses is that anyone can do it and it truly can improve every aspect of your life. It is simple and effective. This book teaches the reader how to come to his/her senses and diffuse the "requirements" that make so many of us miserable, tired, s ...more
Lia
Dec 18, 2010 Lia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, self-help
This is a truly fabulous book. I finished it the other day after savoring it for a long while ... and I’m taking it with me on my Christmas vacation to read it again. I really enjoyed it. The mapping exercises are very insightful and helpful. A couple of them were amazingly illuminating. I've used the bridging exercise, and it’s good, but I need to practice it more to get it to come as a response.

Toward the end, there is this chapter about dreams and stuff that ... well, it doesn't work anywhere
Lynn
Jul 23, 2014 Lynn rated it it was ok
Review is
here
Lisa
Aug 05, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
I think this technique--which is supposed to help with anxiety and depression--would work best in conjunction with the workshops the authors hold, because I had trouble making myself do the exercises. But I think the technique has promise and it has helped me with the spiral of anxiety that I sometimes get stuck in, although it's not a panacea.
Tonya
Oct 04, 2014 Tonya rated it really liked it
I read this for a class - it is a good introduction to mindfulness practice and mind-body bridging. I didn't expect to be so excited about these skills and ideas, but it is actually one of my favorite interventions with clients and is a great way to find and strengthen my own center. Very user-friendly...not written for clinicians!
Trisha
Nov 16, 2008 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Trisha by: Rich Lanward
This book seriously will change your life. It doesn't take physical effort or time; it just helps you think of things in a new way, which takes a little mental effort. This book has helped me be more productive, happier with myself, happier in my relationship, and more at peace.
Dbshell
Jan 10, 2010 Dbshell rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy this book more than I thought I would.
It was not like a textbook..it was written so it is more enjoyable..plus you learn how to handle stressful situations.
I am glad I read it and I did learn some techniques some for me and some to share with others.
Cory
Jun 21, 2008 Cory rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! It helped me gain a better understanding of the unrealistic expectations that I have of other people and (the best part) how to not let those expectations (or requirements as the book calls them) ruin my day and/or life!
Myra
May 21, 2011 Myra rated it liked it
This book was a short little thing but when I practice what it says, I do feel much better about life. My daughter's P.E. teacher teaches this in her class and I wanted to read it. I'm glad I did.
tomlinton
Nov 18, 2008 tomlinton rated it did not like it
For some reason
this is listed in Amazon
as being by Joko Beck
and I bought it on that basis
There is no mention
of her in any part of the book
except perhaps in passing
in the introduction
Chassie
Jan 25, 2009 Chassie rated it it was amazing
Really helped me to reconnect with my body. Probably the best, most universally applicable, 'self-help' book I've read.
Carol
Jan 13, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! learning to "bridge" and following the techniques in this book will completely transform your life!
Zina
Feb 28, 2011 Zina rated it really liked it
Angela suggested I read this. Helpful in coming to a calm place within.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Just started...will let you know
Diane
Apr 08, 2010 Diane rated it did not like it
Ummm... don't bother.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Tracie
Tracie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Laurie MacK
Laurie MacK rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Stephanie Weeks
Stephanie Weeks rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2016
Troy Taggart
Troy Taggart rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Brad Hendricks
Brad Hendricks rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Janet Murray
Janet Murray rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Sinny
Sinny marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Laura Reading
Laura Reading marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Todd Smith
Todd Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016