Start by marking “Groovy Recipes: Greasing the Wheels of Java” as Want to Read:
Groovy Recipes: Greasing the Wheels of Java

Groovy Recipes: Greasing the Wheels of Java

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Each recipe in Groovy Recipes begins with a concise code example for a quick start, followed by in-depth explanation in plain English. These recipes will get you to-to-speed in a Groovy environment quickly.

You'll see how to speed up nearly every aspect of the development process using Groovy. Groovy makes mundane file management tasks like copying and renaming files trivia
Published February 25th 2008 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published March 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Groovy Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groovy Recipes

Guy
Feb 06, 2014 Guy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: groovy
This book is a decent intro to Groovy for programmers who are already familiar with Java, though it is far from comprehensive (regular expressions, for example, are not covered at all). But, frankly, the online User's Guide is a better starting point. The actual recipes here are for things like XML and Web Services (topics that were hot when the book was written). It doesn't offer much of anything for developers of other types of applications.
Christopher
I'm sorry to say that I was somewhat disappointed with this book. I had hoped it would have the depth of one of the O'Reily 'Cookbook' series, with handy little snippets on everything from basic data structure wrangling to more complex tasks.

However, the selection of 'recipes' leans heavily toward the complex side of things - lots of web services, XML and the like.

The recipes are at least clearly written and presented, which is certainly something. I guess I just wish there were more of them, an
John
when i put a book down without finishing it i need a good reason. in this case, i am making a shift from groovy to scala, and just ordered the scala book, and no point in spending the time to finish this one for now.

i got up to the section on web programming. in general, this is a good book for people new to the language, who want to learn some of the basic language idioms for programming and scripting. not a sophisticated text but serves a simple purpose.
Christoph
This is a great book, so long as you've a head for learning from examples and being able to deconstruct things pragmatically, you should find what you need in here without too much fluff or filler. It'd be great to see Groovy creeping back up the TIOBE list, and this is a very good book for a quick start if you are already familiar with Java.
Mike Arvela
Jul 01, 2008 Mike Arvela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Java developers
Shelves: development
Groovy effectively combines the power of the Java Platform with the easiness of scripting languages. It basically extends the JDK, making it more simple and efficient at the same time.
Lewis Cawthorne
Lewis Cawthorne marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Iulian Dumitru
Iulian Dumitru marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Javabean
Javabean marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Hannu Kokko
Hannu Kokko marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Anton
Anton added it
Jan 12, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Roosy
Roosy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
If My Body is a Temple, Then I Was a Megachurch: My journey of losing 132 pounds with no excercise GIS for Web Developers: Adding 'Where' to Your Web Applications Female Force: Anne Rice Microhydro: Clean Power from Water William Shatner Presents: Tek War Volume 1