Start by marking “The Pink Refrigerator” as Want to Read:
The Pink Refrigerator

The Pink Refrigerator

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
“Try to do as little as possible.” This was Dodsworth’s motto. One morning, on his daily trip to the junkyard, he discovers a pink refrigerator.

There’s not much to say about a pink refrigerator, except this one had a note on it. The note said, “Paint pictures.” And so Dodsworth did.

The next day, a new note appeared on the pink refrigerator. And the day after that, and the
Published April 9th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Pink Refrigerator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pink Refrigerator

Manik Sukoco
Jan 01, 2016 Manik Sukoco rated it really liked it
Tim Egan's The Pink Refrigerator is a profound statement wrapped in a quirky and kid-friendly picture book. I've read it three times already, and I'm not even close to being tired of it. Dodsworth the mouse is in a bit of a rut. Every morning he visits the junkyard, where he scrounges for items to sell in his thrift shop. He makes a living from his thrift shop, but it doesn't keep him very busy, and he spends most of his time sitting around watching TV.
One day Dodsworth notices an old pink refri
Kathryn
Jan 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
A mysterious pink refrigerator comes with magical and sage advice for turning one fellow's easy, do-nothing life into one filled with interest and purpose. The story could have been far too didactic and even a little bit odd. But, I didn't think it was! I thought it was wonderful. Very inspiring and fun :-) The illustrations have a bit of an '80s feel to them that I really loved, too.
Dianna
Dec 13, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing
The pink refrigerator at the dump has mysterious messages and contains supplies to help Dodsworth break out of his uninteresting, do-nothing life. This was actually very imaginative and inspirational. My son and I both loved it and I highly recommend it!
Lisa
Oct 04, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. This is a great, magical story with a great lesson. I am sadly bringing it back to the library today, but I'll definitely take it out again.
Lisa Vegan
Feb 15, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers/listeners who enjoy quirky picture books that have a philosophical message
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This quirky picture book reminded me just slightly (in a positive way) of one of my favorite books, The Phantom Tollbooth. It’s a very unusual book too.

A man living a sedentary and hum drum life gets some inspiration from a pink refrigerator. I’d have enjoyed this as a child too, but this is one of those picture books that might be an appropriate gift for an adult about to begin a new endeavor. I think one reason I enjoyed it so much is that all the new activities the man engages in are ones I f
Sq.Hill Library
Mar 21, 2008 Sq.Hill Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: claire
This touching and inspiring book is a wonderful story (for adults too!). Thrift-store-owner Dodsworth has a quiet, uneventful life until he finds a miraculous refrigerator in the junkyard; following the inctructions it magically gives him, he discovers an amazing world beyond what he ever imagnied. Dodsworth's story of ever-growing fascination is sweet, poignant, and inspirational; for any kid who's said they're bored or don't have anything to do, and for every adult who may have lost sight of t ...more
Marie
Oct 29, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
I really love this book, but it is a picture book for adults more than for children. The idea of turning off the tv and doing other things may be directed toward children, but the concept of having settled into a boring life and needing magical intervention to return to the things that brought you joy is really an adult concept.

The gentle illustrations speak to the simple routine of the main character's life. This is not a "Eureka!" story, but more of a "hmmm..." story. Most adults should read
Heidi
May 18, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages
Recommended to Heidi by: Vickie Zippay
Shelves: picture-book
I LOVE this book. What a wonderful and creative message. This book is not just for children but for adults as well. Dodsworth is a lazy character who tries to do as little as possible. He goes to the junkyard every morning to sell useful items in his thrift shop. The rest of his days are spent watching T.V., eating, napping, and sleeping. Until he discovers an old pink and rusty refrigerator with a magnet on the front.

Dodsworth tries to take the magnet but it's stuck. That's when he notices the
Amy Forrester
Feb 26, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Dodsworth owns thrift store and his motto is, “Try to do as little as possible.” His life is routine until one day at the junk yard he finds a pink refrigerator. Stuck to the front with a magnet is a note that says, “Make Pictures.” Inside the refrigerator are art supplies. Dodsworth takes the materials to his shop, but when someone tries to buy them, he just can’t sell them and instead paints a picture of the ocean. Each day Dodsworth returns to the refrigerator. Each time the notes changes and ...more
Hannah Guerra
Oct 16, 2013 Hannah Guerra rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-261
This inspirational picture book is good for kids in Pre School through 1st grade. It follows Dodsworth, a thrift shop owner who loved nothing more than doing absolutely nothing. One day, on one of his regular trips to the junk yard to find things to sell, he spotted a pink refrigerator. The refrigerator had a note that said "make pictures" and was filled with painting materials. Dodsworth took the supplies home meaning sell them in his store, but he end up painting instead. The next day it conta ...more
Julie
Jun 09, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is a very cute book about learning new skills and exploring. Kids ages 4-7 would probably appreciate it, and then you could have the kids pick an activity from the book to do.
Vicki
Feb 24, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I have to say this is one amazing book to share to with old listeners/readers. I first read it aloud to kindergartner's in 2007 at our local elementary school. It's time to do that again!
Diana Thomsen
Apr 14, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Everyone needs something like the pink refrigerator from time to time, to encourage us to get up and try something new. I know it inspired me to start trying new things. Love!
Emma
Jun 10, 2011 Emma rated it it was amazing
This is where it all starts for Dodsworth. Dodsworth likes to do as little as possible. He has a routine and it works. Until he goes to a junkyard and finds a pink refrigerator with a strange note on it. Told to make pictures, read more, and to learn to cook among other things Dodsworth starts to realize there is more to life than doing enough to get by. At the end of the story he sets off to find an adventure--presumably the one that continues in the early reader Dodsworth in New York.

There is
The Brothers
Feb 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Dodsworth is the kind of person who delights in doing nothing. He just does enough work to get by and spends the rest of his time napping and watching TV. One day, a rusted pink refrigerator in the junk yard has a note on it encouraging him to "Make Pictures" and gives him all the supplies necessary to do so. Slowly, Dodsworth's world is open to new opportunities and interests and eventually he leaves behind his old habits to go see what the world has to offer.

Great illustrations.
Allison
Jun 21, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing
This book was a fantastic read. A great story to help give a nudge to someone who may need to gain some courage to go adventuring.
Monica
May 31, 2014 Monica rated it it was amazing
Motivated my little one to paint a picture and me to go on an adventure. This would be fun to read just before a beach trip.
Bree
Mar 31, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it
Notes:
magical refrigerator inspires mouse to expand his world from beyond the couch in front of the tv; a great summary of what life-learning is for unschoolers -- art, music, exploration, and books! the kids really liked this one
Grandma
Apr 22, 2014 Grandma rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. We used to have a pink refrigerator when I was a child, but it never had messages on it like Dodsworth found. Great advice!
Nancy
Mar 27, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Not for super young kids but adults will like this one.
Emily
Apr 29, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314, teachers
This book opened my mind to possibilities to include in my everyday life. Not only did the book present the idea that you can do something different everyday, but that you can also learn new things every day while challenging yourself.
The Library Lady
Sep 05, 2007 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Reminds me of some of my favorite Daniel Pinkwater books in that there is a message but yet a story. Dodsworth is as dull as his name until a series of messages on a pink fridge in the junkyard encourage him to try thing he has never done before. Nice example of a picture book that is NOT intended for tiny twos--this would be a great choice for early school age kids and even older kids in the classroom.
Lorna
Aug 17, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
My first Tim Egan book, but definitely not my last! This one stars a recurring character Dodsworth, who begins the book trying to "do as little as possible". That changes however as he begins to receive secret messages via an old pink refrigerator at the junkyard. Will he change his ways? You'll need to read it to find out. Very cute and I will certainly be looking for more Dodsworth adventures!
Shirley Ho
Sep 22, 2011 Shirley Ho rated it it was amazing
This is not only for children but for adults as well. Sometimes we are so comfortable in our usual way and we forget how exciting it is to be exploring and trying something new. While I encourage my children to keep exploring, this book reminds me to do the same. It is a wonderful book with a clear message.
Maria
Feb 09, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
Although this is a children's book, it is a book I feel everyone should read. It is inspiring to make you want to try new things; start new adventures! It is up to us to take charge of our lives and make sure that each day is fabulous and full of wonder. That is what this book is about.
Rebecca
Dec 03, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Sniff! I read this long ago, pre-Goodreads, so I'm glad that Laura O recommended it to me now. This book is for anyone who's ever felt in a rut in their life, even if they don't know it.

"I don't know what's happening here, but, wow, what a great refrigerator!"
April
Nov 02, 2007 April rated it really liked it
This book was a little longish for preschool storytime but the kids did enjoy it. This is the story of a man who does nothing but watch Tv and what happens when he finds a magic refrigerator in a junk yard and begins to experience new things. I love pink!
Anna Wanderer
Mar 03, 2011 Anna Wanderer rated it it was amazing
We have just discovered the Tim Egan collection at our library and it's great. His books are surprising, funny and kind hearted. This one is especially good; if you read it be sure to follow Dodsworth on his other adventures.
Chili Public
This was great! It was a suggestion from someone else's goodreads. It teaches kids that there is a lot more out in the world than tv. A lesson even adults (including myself) sometimes need to remember.
Esther May
Feb 25, 2013 Esther May rated it it was amazing
I am inspired by this story. The main character had a good life, just did not put too much effort into anything. It was a good reminder to me to see what can happen when you do things. Very cute and clever.
  • Augustine