The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Got carrotphobia? Do you think that recognizing your employees will distract you and your team from more serious business, create jealousy, or make you look soft?Think again.

"The Carrot Principle" reveals the groundbreaking results of one of the most in-depth management studies ever undertaken, showing definitively that the central characteristic of the most successful man...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Free Press (first published January 2nd 2006)

Lucas
See downloadable forms at carrots.com

When recognition is considered effective, managers:
1) Have lower turnover rates
2) Achieve enhanced business results
3) Are seen as much stronger in the Basic Four areas of leadership:
a) goal setting
b) communication
c) trust
d) accountability

Goal setting:
- My manager gives me measurable goals to achieve

Communication:
- I can rely on my manager to answer my questions
- My manager listens to employees in our department
- My manager keeps me informed of the progres...more
Kevin Hanks
May 01, 2013 Kevin Hanks rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kevin by: Brian
I gave this book 5 stars because of the first several chapters. There it describes the underlying principle of the entire book: that setting well thought-out goals and then rewarding behavior that supports those goals leads to achieving those goals. It was brilliantly written, and I think if more people lived those principles, the world (especially the professional world) would be a much better place. The authors started to lose me towards the end of the book, when they went into the application...more
John Graham
This book provided some great points and thought provoking ideas. While I'd recommend it to anyone looking to up their engagement level through recognition, I can't say I enjoyed every chapter.
With any business related book now, it seems that the first few chapters are spent explaining the data and why you need what the book is talking about. I've never enjoyed those chapters because if I'm reading the book, I obviously already want the information so I don't need to be "sold" on it. So skip the...more
Gene Babon
Nearly four out of five employees who quit their jobs cite a lack of recognition as a key reason for leaving. If you are a business leader, or aspire to become one, this book offers practical guidance on how to effectively lead your workforce.

Here are the two things your workers want most:

~ career/learning development opportunities
~ recognition

Failing to acknowledge and support your workers leads to low morale and turnover. In a competitive business environment this leads to an underperforming b...more
David
First, let me clarify that most people will probably like this book because it it likely true for most people. Also, the production of this audiobook was great. The authors read it themselves and took turns reading passages. It was very easy to follow and nice to listen to hear their passion for their topic.

So, why a two star rating? I disagreed with their approach on motivating people. They mentioned their research said a majority of people like motivation and the best way to do this is by usi...more
Merrick
The first addition of Adrian Gostick and Chester Elton’s The Carrot Principle convincingly demonstrated the relationship between rewards/recognition and results. This second addition, through additional data provided by Towers Watson, provides even more proof that feedback and recognition are powerful tools for engaging employees and achieving higher levels of productivity.

From my work as a management consultant, it is clear that managers do not recognize and reward people as much as they should...more
Patrick
Great premise, proof and application.

1. Recognition is the 'relationship bridge' between management and talent that seeks to achieve (pg 68)
2. 4-Quads of Engagement/Satisfaction (drives turnover): Hi/Lo 14%; Hi/Hi 40%; Lo/Hi 20%, Lo/Lo 26%.
3. Building Blocks of Recognition: Day-to-day, Above-and-beyond, careeer and celebration recognition. (pg 100)
4. Predictors of Engagement:
a. Recognition > Opp & Wellbeing > Engagement
b. Communication > Trust > Engagement
c. Alignment > Org...more
Nancy
First of all, I would not recommend the audio book. One of the authors/narrators pronounces "process" and "project" with the long "o" sound, which is really annoying. For example: "PROH-ject", "PROH-cess". There were some other mispronounced words throughout. I tried to finish the CDs, but with about 1 1/2 CDs left to go, they gave the excellent advice of bringing in fortune tellers to somehow boost employee morale/show recognition for hard work. That was when I realized, once and for all, I'd h...more
Matthews M.
Tentu saja yang aku beli adalah buku versi Indonesia yang diterbitkan oleh Gramedia Pustaka Utama dan seperti biasa entah kenapa kalau buku non-fiksi terbitan mereka, lumrah kalau tak ada versinya di kepustakaan Goodreads. Sepertinya kelompok pembaca non-fiksi di GPU kurang diapresiasi.

Kondisi bukunya juga ya begitulah karena namanya juga diskon 50%.

UPDATE 2011-06-08
Menarik juga meski baru di bagian awal soal manajer yang memberikan penghargaan kepada karyawan yang justru menguntungkan buat peru...more
The Levity Effect by the same author(Gostick)is better, I thought.

However, this one is still great at emphasizing the need for recognition and appreciation in clear and tangible ways. Since we're a non-profit and cannot use our funding for staff incentives, there were a lot of ideas that simply weren't applicable to us ($1,000 per employee per year????? Who has that?). However, the theory seems sound and there's never a bad time to say thank you for a job well-done!
Rick Austin
Helped me see where I may be lacking and what my team needs from me. Not a lot of new techniques but they are nicely packaged. What is most interesting to me are the results of their surveys and the impact valuable recognition techniques have upon a companies ability to execute and excel at what they do.

If you are a manager, especially a new manager, you need to read this book.
Shaun
This was an interesting book regarding recognition in the work place. I was an interesting take on the little expense it is to recognize your employees and how far that recognition goes to help improve a business. An insightful, interesting read. Recognition isn't hard, but it's not a normal human habit either. I recommend anyone read this book who manages employees or is in charge of a team or class.
Rick Mcclatchey
This is something that many managers certainly don't do enough of, seemingly motivated out of a lack of creativity and a bit of laziness. This book is a great tool for helping break out of the lack of creativity, and a good motivator to leave laziness behind. Help your people be more engaged in their daily work, and help them enjoy it all more by simply giving them recognition for a job well done.
Tara Litzenberger
I can see why this book is very much a hit at my work- it takes something nebulous like recognition and boils it down to charts, numbers and formulas. We like charts, numbers and formulas.

I thought some of the motivation advice was a bit dated compared to the advice in Drive by Daniel Pink. Solid, but it felt more like going through motions without necessarily understanding why they worked.
Bogdan
This is another classic example of the famous american books on every topic, usually published in the collection "For Dummies". Writing has been commercilized as much as possible by americans in this type of books. The writter has only to find a valid idea, then the trick is to repeat it over and over again. For me this is not close to ideal book.
My copy of this book is in romanian.
Nick
This genial book tells us that we should recognize our employees to bring out the best in them, and increase the productivity of our companies. That's not surprising, but what is important about this book is that it proves what we instinctively know to be true. Lots of research and examples reinforce the basic idea that people should be nice to each other to succeed.
Angel
Another one I picked up at the public library. It was in the New Books area, and the title sounded catchy, so I picked it up. Definitely a book more managers should be reading and acting upon.

Here is the note I made about it on my personal blog:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Brian
I gave this book five stars because it provides the data to back up everything heard on Manager Tools related to one-on-ones, feedback, delegation and coaching. Someday after I have a year of blow out results I plan to pull out this book and use the numbers in here to put together my 'how I killed it' presentation.
Caryn
This was a hard one for me. I believe nearly everything that they said from the first chapter. The hard thing was that they had all of the description for those who didn't yet know/believe what they were saying and it just wore on for me. Almost finished it, but just flat-out got tired of listening to it.
Mark
I found this book very thought provoking and it rang true. I'm trying to follow the main principle of giving specific sincere appreciation to those who I work with. I have received a significant amount of positive response and a return in gratitude. I'm happy I found the book.
Zach
I like a lot of the "principles" in this book, and I believe that many management-types can lose sight of the importance of positive reinforcement and motivation. Definitely applicable to job situation, and there a lot of things I can take from this book in future situtions.
Marie
Jun 25, 2008 Marie marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: management-minded individuals
So far, an interesting read. It talks about how employees prefer recognition within their organization, and find it more valuable and more driving than something like money (although money is nice, have you saved any of your deposit slips from it? Didn't think so.)
Daimen Vauban
A decent summary of various recognition techniques and summary of touch points to make with employees. Not the best flowing book, but it does get its point across. Most everyone can take something away from it.
Leah
This book was recommended to me by the HR rep at my workplace. I like the ideas about ways to motivate and appreciate employees. But I didn't finish the book...I find these types of books tough to read start to finish.
Jacque
Reports strategies in the form of reporting results from studying or surveying a number of companies. good book for large scale principles with the examples from the various companies.
Meg
Great ideas, but I felt that it needed more specifics as to how to implement them. Perhaps the authors stayed vague to encourage the purchase of their consulting services...
Paul
Excellent view on leadership principles and motivation, with practical ideas. However, only presents a slice of the leadership challenge, there are many other aspects.
Brad
I am just beginning this book, but it is really good so far. The premise is that people will be more productive and fulfilled if their efforts are appreciated.
Hilary
Common sense, but a good read overall. Some of the ideas are a little wacky. Have an ice cream truck come to your office? Does corporate America really do these things?
Ron Hayes
This book includes terrific supporting research. It is easy to read and is a must for all who want to lead effectively in today's business world.
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best... and Learn from the Worst
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Quiet Leadership: Six Steps to Transforming Performance at Work
  • Gung Ho!
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • I Hate People!: Kick Loose from the Overbearing and Underhanded Jerks at Work and Get What You Want Out of Your Job
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
All In: How the Best Managers Create a Culture of Belief and Drive Big Results The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up The Invisible Employee: Realizing the Hidden Potential in Everyone The Daily Carrot: 365 Doses of The Carrot Principle The Orange Revolution: How One Great Team Can Transform an Entire Organization