Start by marking “Bearshadow (Moonbear)” as Want to Read:
Bearshadow (Moonbear)

Bearshadow (Moonbear #6)

Due to popular demand, AIMS is proud to make Ruth Heller's entire series of nature books available in Spanish again. Heller's amazing talent as an illustrator and her ability to surprise readers with strange and little known nature facts put her books in a class by themselves.
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published January 1st 1985 by Scholastic Inc

To ask other readers questions about Bearshadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bearshadow

Christopher Lehman
I loved this sweet, science related book about a best trying to run from his shadow. Without being overtly science-y, the movement of the sun is reflected in the illustrations and leads to great conversations with kids.
Crystal Jackson
Jul 14, 2014 Crystal Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, animals, humor
I think children would find this book funny, especially if they understand what a shadow is. This story is like the book A Puddle Pail. These books teach children about shadows and reflections.
Jbaccon
Jan 24, 2016 Jbaccon rated it really liked it
Shelves: light, science, shadows
Great one for beginning to look at the science behind shadows. Place a bear on the playground and track shadows over the course of the day...
Kelli Bratten
Feb 02, 2014 Kelli Bratten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Have kids write stories about what they would do with their shadow, and include why they could see their shadow and what happened to make it dissappere.
Justin Castillo
Jun 14, 2016 Justin Castillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reminder that science and nature is always a part of you and where and how you stand can expose it.
Anna Marie
Dec 16, 2015 Anna Marie rated it liked it
A bear puts a lot of effort into getting rid of his shadow so that he can fish.
Heidi-Marie
I'm sure I've read this somewhere in my past. I like the different things bear tries to get rid of his shadow. This would be a cute (and shorter) choice to have around during my Shadows & Groundhogs theme. And one can easily teach a STEM concept here.

2/5/14: Intro book to our shadow theme. And I did throw in the STEM bit, though some of the kids already knew and were telling me first. They liked seeing him try to nail his shadow down.
Angie Quantrell
Feb 17, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Bear battles with his shadow. Nothing seems to work to get rid of the shadow. Fun book for kids exploring shadows.
Amie Anderson
Oct 02, 2013 Amie Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng261
Bear Shadow is a cute picture book about a bear who tries to get rid of his shadow because it is in the way of his fishing. After many attempts to chase it away, nail it down, etc., he gives up and takes a break until later in the day, and then he finds that the sun is in a different position and he can see! The book is a fun way to teach kids the concepts of earth rotation and shadows. I would recommend this book for kids ages 3-6. The genre of the book is hard to decipher; it could be consider ...more
Lauren
Feb 15, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
Great early reader book!
Asha Smith
I thought this book was super cute. This bear can not get rid of his shadow. The Shadow follows him everywhere and is interfering with Bear catching his fish. So the Bear tries everything to get rid of his shadow but it seems impossible. Finally bear gives up and decides to catch his fish but he allows the shadow to catch a fish too and they are both happy.

This is good book to teach about shadows in science. And how when the sun is at certain parts of the sky a person will be to see his shadows
Trang
Apr 02, 2012 Trang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
While trying to catch a fish one day, Moonbear realizes that his shadow has scared it away! And so this leads Moonbear on a journey to leave his shadow behind. Great book to introduce shadows to young ones as it introduces basic concepts through Moonbear's day.

I would use it in order to have students talk about shadows and why they think that Moonbear cannot get rid of his shadow. Its also a great way to introduce shadows to students.

Appropriate for grades k-3.
Smith Family
Sep 20, 2015 Smith Family rated it really liked it
One of Mom's old favorite books from Grandma!
Eliza
Oct 12, 2010 Eliza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
All this time, I remembered it as Bear's Shadow. This was one of my favorite books when I was in Kinder or 1st grade. I can't recall which. The book I repeatedly checked out of the library had a beautiful blue hardcover. I was horrified when I left it in my backyard after reading it one day because it rained and the book was ruined. I know this isnt a review, but this book it probably the first book I remember rereading. I have to get a copy.
Megan MacDonald
Feb 01, 2011 Megan MacDonald rated it really liked it
A silly book to read, especially when the class is learning about positions of the sun and moon and what happens when they are in different parts of the sky. This book is educational, yet funny at the same time. In this book, Bear cannot get rid of his shadow. He tries to chase it, bury it, and hide from it, but Shadow will not disappear-until the sun moves..Why is that? Read this funny, relatable book to find out!
Amy
Apr 02, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
What a great book to read while learning about shadows! This author puts science perspectives into literature very well and the story of Bear is a cute one. The pictures and language in this book make it a little easier to understand shadows and what time they occur. Pictures of the sun in the sky at different periods of the day gives children a good image of the times our shadow appears, and when it leaves.
Sue Pak
Bear attempts to run away from his shadow throughout the book. This book talks a lot about how his shadow is following him throughout the day, and even talks about the sun movement.

Appropriate for 1st and 2nd grade. You can do a lesson on light and shadow. Great to talk about how the sun moves throughout the day.

This book was a little strange to read at first. It's a very quick read.
Alexis Levine
Moonbear's Shadow by Frank Asch is a super cute book about a bear who can't get rid of his shadow. This would be a great book to read with kindergartners or first graders. Students/Children can go outside and try to find their shadows on a sunny day and make shadow puppets and try to develop hypothesis about why and how shadows happen. This would fall under Georgia Standard SKCS1 and SKE1.
Kelly
Jan 11, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
Frank Asch is a great author. I enjoyed the story about the little bear trying to get rid of his shadow. This could be great read to include for a "Star Author" section of class. I could also see using this book for overcoming obstacles that can't really be overcome and must be dealt with everyday.
Jenni
Sep 26, 2007 Jenni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
I'm a fan. I love the art. I love the innocence of the stories, and watching my kids understanding of the story unfold as they get older. Still remember the day that Brandon finally "got it!" He said to me, "Mom....Bear isn't very smart is he." We'd probably read it 100 times by then. It cracked me up.
Brittnee
Apr 14, 2011 Brittnee rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Good book for 1st grade when teaching what a shadow is and how shadows work. really cute gives great and funny examples of the bear trying to run and get away from his shadow and he thinks he finally did when it hit noon, it actually made me laugh while i was reading it because it was so cute.
Hye Eun
Jan 26, 2011 Hye Eun rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
My first grade students are learning about shadow so my teacher read this book to them. This book does a nice job with describing some of the characteristics of a shadow through a story. The story is also pretty good and funny. I think it is a good mixture of science and literature in one book.
Turrean
Love this one, and so do the younger students. Kids who understand that Bear is never going to be able to lose his shadow enjoy all the silly things that he does, but I've found that even the youngest kids, who don't yet know about light and shadows, enjoy Bear's truce with his shadow.
Mar 22, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Bear is trying to get rid of his shadow and nothing he does seems to work. Children will love seeing all of the silly things he does to try to keep Shadow away, and teachers will like the clear scientific explanation (and visual) for why Shadow keeps popping up. Good for preschool.
Alana Graham
Apr 11, 2011 Alana Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This is a super cute story about a bear who trying to get rid of it's distracting shadow. Moonbear tries everything but can't seem to escape it. I would read this to get students thinking about light and shadows, perhaps in regard to the positioning of the sun.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Ahmad Worthy
Jun 17, 2010 Ahmad Worthy rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fiction
I like this book because it was funny how the bear was trying to get rid of his shadow. It all worked out at the end of the story, after trying several different ways to get rid of it, that the sun went down and shadow disappeared.
Eugene Magee
This book was a fun read. Bear could not get rid of his shadow. You could use this book to explain to children what causes our bodies to cast a shadow. You can also explain to the children why your body does not cast a shadow at high noon.
Abi
Jan 25, 2012 Abi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute book. It's about a bear that can not get rid of his shadow. This is good book to teach about shadows for First graders, and how when the sun is at certain parts of the sky a person will be to see his shadows.
Miriam Garcia
Mar 30, 2010 Miriam Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Bear Shadow is a very cute book about a bear trying to get rid of his shadow in every way possible, even burying it. No matter what the bear does the shadow won’t go away! It is a great book to introduce shadows for a science lesson.
  • The Giant Carrot
  • Pretzel
  • If You Find a Rock
  • My Friend Bear
  • A Busy Year
  • Cookie's Week
  • Cows Can't Fly
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • Clouds
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Henry and Mudge and the Sneaky Crackers (Henry and Mudge, #16)
  • White Rabbit's Colors
  • Mary had a little lamb
  • Sam and the Tigers: A Retelling of 'Little Black Sambo'
  • Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
  • The EARTH Book
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo
More about Frank Asch...

Moonbear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Moon Bear