Start by marking “Fiebertraum” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  12,506 ratings  ·  1,203 reviews
When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investme ...more
Published (first published September 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Fiebertraum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiebertraum

Dirk Grobbelaar

Yet another interesting spin on the Vampire mythos, Fevre Dream is a delightfully atmospheric historical horror-drama. It skirts dangerously close to the boundary between Horror and Urban Fantasy, but it still manages to stir up some legitimate scares. This is George R.R. Martin, after all, and one or two of the more disturbing scenes will likely echo with you for an uncomfortable space of time.

That night he dreamt. In his dreams he was dark and graceful, elegant and predatory. It was always nig
Vincent Ribaya
I believe all authors have a certain piece of work that sadly doesn't get its due credit. For George R.R. Martin, that book would most probably be Fevre Dream.

I personally enjoyed this novel, and though preoccupied with a Transition Camp for medical school, I managed to finish it throughout my 2-night stay at that camp. The book was quite fast-paced, and there are a few parts in the plot which I think could've been longer - but it all worked out quite nicely.

Many would claim Fevre Dream was a fe
To enjoy this book, there are some things that I honestly believe that you must possess.

1. A love of steamboats, because goddamn does this book go on and on about steamboats. The main character, Abner Marsh, is a steamboat captain with an obsessive love of steamboats, and as is typical of Martin's writing when he gets Really Involved with something, every single tiny facet of the boat is described...sadly leaving the actually interesting parts, mainly those regarding the pasts of his vampire ch
Jun 22, 2014 Shayan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: odoroten, Krûvnik, védomec, wieszczy, Vilkakis, vrkolák, nosferatu, and VAMPIRE lovers
Recommended to Shayan by: Ali Nazifpour
“Well, well” That was all Mister Tipton murmured, in such a low voice that even GRRM couldn't hear it, when his knife got The Beast in the eye.

Although Sour Billy Tipton was just one of the characters, but he was the one that I was obsessed with. Despicable old Sour Billy! But I love you for that, for being such a monstrous abominable creature, for waking in me a great deal of HATRED which I didn't know I’m capable of. Oh Billy, whoever will I hate and love without you?

To despise a fiction char
Beautifully written tale of the most unlikely union. The atmosphere on the river/steamboat was breathtakingly real. There isn't really much to say about this novel that other reviewers haven't already said. I'll simply add that I stayed up and read nearly the entire novel in a single night--that's how hard it was to put down!

Highly recommended!
Fevre Dream is an unusual novel. First, it is excellent historical fiction, set amongst the steamboats traveling up and down the Mississippi, between New Orleans and St. Louis, in the mid to late 1800's. Second, it is full of interesting characters heavily influenced and molded by their environment and professions. Second, there are vampires. A+ for the first and second. C+ for the vampires.

This is my first novel by George R. R. Martin. Like many readers, I am tempted to read his series A Song o
3.5 Stars

This was a definite departure from what I'm used to when it comes to GRRM. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I don't think that this was it. Not that it was bad... just not what I was expecting. I did enjoy it quite a bit though.

So, this story is set in the mid-19th century, on the rivers that vein the South and in New Orleans, during the slave trade... with 'people of the night'. The take on these vampires (let's call a spade a spade here) was different, and interesting..
Featuring one of the most interesting heroes in all of the books I've had the pleasure to read in Abner Marsh, a fantastic setting, and a steamboat that makes you want to go back in time and experience a great race yourself. This was a wonderful read and I would recommend highly.
Captain Abner Marsh has been beset with misfortune after misfortune and is now struggling to keep his steamboat company together, that is until he meets the mysterious Joshua York. Mr York proposes to become a partner, putting much needed money into the company, allowing them to build the most beautiful steamboat on the Mississippi river, the Fevre Dream. He has certain stipulations of his own, some of which are bizarre but Captain Marsh can't resist the chance to once again have some standing o ...more
Re-read finished on 1.24.13.
This books cements its spot as one of my all time favorite novels. Vampires on a steamship in the 1850's on the mighty Mississippi River. Not only is it a great premise, but Mr. Martin follows through and delivers one hell of a story to back it up.
Highly recommended!
I put this on my paranormal-urban shelf at first, but it doesn't belong there. It's a horror story (view spoiler) but it isn't really supernatural. Set in the mid 1800's on the Mississippi river, it has a ton of ambiance. The setting was very well done without being too wordy. It seemed quite accurate in most historical & physical facts, although I had some issues with a shotgun at the end. (view spoiler) ...more
Markus Molina
Jul 17, 2012 Markus Molina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire enthusiasts, George RR Martin fans
Boy, oh, boy, does Mr. Martin know how to bring characters to life. I never have had characters feel so real to me so immediately as I have when reading from the point of views of his protagonists. Abner Marsh leaped off the page and I felt like I knew the steamboat captain personally. Though, I admit, in this book, the antagonists (some vampire folks) are set up rather weakly and kind of read a bit generically (mostly through only the first half). Although, I suppose that might be attributed to ...more
jedna od najboljih knjiga koje sam ikad pročita. toliko me knjiga uvukla u svoj svjet da sam skoro zaplakao na kraju koliko su mu se likovi i njihove sudbine uvukle pod kožu. nikad me ni jedna knjiga nije toliko dirnula u srce a riječ je o knjizi o vampirima. O VAMPIRIMA a skoro sam plakao ko uspaljene teenagerice na Twilight
So wait, it's possible to have a vampire story without a bunch of teenage angst? Amazing!

As someone who's read Martin's other, bigger works in A Song of Ice and Fire and to a lesser extent Wild Cards, it was very interesting to read something from before he was well-known outside of a niche within the already-niche SF/F world. Fevre Dream is from the early 80s and is set along the Mississippi River in the mid-1800s. This kind of gives it an otherworldly quality, this world of river steamers that
داستان عالی بود... اصلاً حرف نداشت. ترجمه هم فارسی خوب و خواندنیای داشت. نویسنده خیلی زیبا از شعرهای بایرون رو در میان داستانش استفاده کرده. توصیفهای نویسنده انقدر خوب و کامله که قشنگ تک تک آدمها و اون کشتی "لعنتی" رو میشه تو ذهن تصور کرد. :-D

Perfect story... perfect describing... wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! :-D
Jonathan Janz
This review was originally posted on my blog:

Why, you might ask yourself, am I talking about a decades-old novel by a writer with more riches than Croeses when I, a writer whose last big purchase was a Wii for my children (including the MarioKart Fun Pack!), have my own second novel set to be released in five days?

Because I'm an idiot? Perhaps.

Or maybe it's because George R.R. Martin deserves it.

When Mark Sieber at the Horror Drive-In stated that Fevre Dr
For some time I’ve been a fan of George R.R. Martin’s A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series. In the last few years, though, when my mind turns to that series, it’s usually either (a) to speculate about potential plot twists or (b) to wish the next book were out already. What I forget is how much I simply enjoy Martin’s writing, particularly his nuanced, flawed characters and the way he can turn a phrase. Fevre Dream, a tale of vampires on the Mississippi River in the mid-to-late nineteenth century, prov ...more
Huh. I haven't read the Song of Ice and Fire series - I made it a couple of pages into the first book, found myself already confused, and gave up - so this was my first real George R.R. Martin experience. And my first reaction was: why aren't more people talking about this book?

I never read Ann Rice, either, so maybe this story isn't as innovative as I think it is, but the basic premise is that it's the 1850's, and a steamer boat captain who's recently off a string of bad luck is approached by a
Carmo Santos
Sonho Febril não é um livro só para os amantes de fantasia, em especial vampiros. É um livro para qualquer amante de leituras, porque é um livro bem escrito que nos agarra desde a primeira página.

Lado a lado com um enredo bem construído, corre uma escrita fluida que nos leva a navegar pelas águas do Mississípi, em 1857 em plena época áurea dos barcos a vapor.
É um retrato fiel de um tempo em que a navegação fluvial era o principal meio de transporte de mercadorias e pessoas, e os barcos a vapor
Another group book and my first by Mr Martin. I must say it was very different from other Vampire books that I’ve read. No love story, just battle of wills between good and bad.

Joshua York offers a partnership offer to Abner Marsh, a former successful riverman. But he also put some conditions for Abner like he would never ask question about York’s behaviour or his guests. Abner accepts York’s conditions and commenced the partnership. With York’s wealth Abner made a boat of his dreams and named
Great atmospheric story set in the period of 1857 during slave era, setting is great on-board a grand steamship with a few vampires mixed in to boot, what more could you ask to have in a novel! This was the first of a few vampire books i was going to read in a row just felt in a bloody mood, then i would go on to Dan Brown in time for the movie release.
Not a bad book just nothing great about it. Mostly typical vampire stuff.
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*

A beautiful, multi-layered story. George R.R. Martin's writing style charmed me in this haunting tale. Much different than his high fantasy stuff, I fell in love with the hero of the book, Captain Abner Marsh, a man who lived for his life on the river. The steamboats become characters of their own. I never thought much about them before, but this book brings to mind the joy that must have existed with them once upon a time. The men who spent their lives building, dreaming, running, and racing th
This was one hell of a story! Besides writing Game of Thrones books, Martin has written another possible less known tale of a different genre. There were quite a few things I loved about this book:

1) The Setting: loved the idea of the story taking place on water aboard a steamboat. Not only that but the story takes place in 1800s which is by no means original but at least you can't have police bringing a hell storm if something bad goes down in the city like in many stories set in modern times.
This was a book where everything came together and really clicked for me. I read this as a challenge book, to read something else by a favorite author. This was certainly a change from The Game of Thrones series but I loved it. From the setting to the characters to the actual story…everything worked for me. In the somewhat overdone vampire genre, it was still unique. These are not shiny, fun, sexy vampires. They were definitely more reminiscent of the vampire Lestat. I found two new favorite cha ...more
Ben Loory
really enjoyed this. totally solid, fully-imagined, with great characters and a real feel for the world of the 19th century mississippi river (or at least martin's fantasy of it). got a little longish after a while but the epilogue was perfect. loved how the whole huge storyworld came down to small moments, friendships, fragile things between people. never read any george r.r. martin before and now i see why everyone else has.
Dear lord, will this book never end? I feel like I've been reading it my entire life.

Its not a bad book. Its well written with an interesting, albeit pretty generic plot and thats saying a lot coming from someone who is fairly new to (view spoiler) lit. But I'm pretty sure that 200 pages could have been edited out of this book that contains completely pointless steam boating information and page long descriptions about the color of the river. I don't give a fuck.

And the
Sofia Teixeira
'Sonho Febril' é a primeira obra que leio do autor George R.R. Martin. Sei que este é mais conhecido pela saga 'As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo' e sendo este livro de um género um pouco diferente, estava bastante curiosa.
Todos têm noção que os vampiros voltaram a estar na moda, mais que nunca, mas nem sempre todas as obras inseridas nesta temática conseguem trazer algo de novo que nos agarre à leitura e nos surpreenda. George R.R. Martin teve essa capacidade.

Fevre Dream é o sonho de qualquer capitão
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
So, I've been reading this book somewhat sporadically as it had become my workout book. (Yes, that means I workout somewhat sporadically - sue me.)

Anyway, last night I found myself in the position where I didn't know what new book to start, and I really wanted this one off my plate, so I just went ahead and finished it, since I only had 20% to go.

But this was not a "OMG, this book is SO good I HAVE to find out what happens!". No, this was more an "Ugh, I can't believe I'm still reading this book
The following review is from my old website. For some reason some
reviews didn't make the migration.

I had been searching for this novel for so long that I know forget how I ever learned about it.
I finally tracked down a copy on Ebay and my bid of $3 stuck! This is a very good, very original vampire story set on a steamboat on the 1800's Mississippi river.
Martin has long been a fan favorite for his story-telling ability, and if anyone can explain why on earth his early works are out-of-print I'd l
Nerds & Encrenque...: Fevre Dream / Sonho Febril 46 30 Oct 13, 2015 01:19PM
2015 Reading Chal...: 1982 - Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin 3 20 Apr 15, 2015 07:31PM
Cafe Libri: November: Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin 2 6 Oct 19, 2014 01:32AM
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • Darker Than You Think
  • The Dragon Waiting
  • The Emperor of Dreams
  • The Golden
  • Time And The Gods
  • The Bloody Red Baron (Anno Dracula, #2)
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 2: The Hour of the Dragon (The Conan Chronicles, #2)
  • Fevre Dream
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams
  • Traveling with the Dead (James Asher, #2)
  • Song of Kali
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • The Second Book of Lankhmar
  • The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life
  • The Stress of Her Regard
  • Vampire Junction
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

“Beneath it his skin was milky white, serene and unlined, ready to begin anew, ready for the world to write upon it.” 8 likes
“ABNER Marsh had a mind that was not unlike his body. It was big all around, ample in size and capacity, and he crammed all sorts of things into it. It was strong as well; when Abner Marsh took something in his hand it did not easily slip away, and when he took something in his head it was not easily forgotten. He was a powerful man with a powerful brain, but body and mind shared one other trait as well: they were deliberate. Some might even say slow. Marsh did not run, he did not dance, he did not scamper or slide along; he walked with a straightforward dignified gait that nonetheless got him where he wanted to go. So it was with his mind. Abner Marsh was not quick in word or thought, but he was far from stupid; he chewed over things thoroughly, but at his own pace.” 2 likes