Start by marking “Bread and honey” as Want to Read:
Bread and honey

Bread and honey (Baby Bear)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Bread and Honey (A Frank Asch Bear story)
Published April 1st 1982 by Dutton Childrens Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and honey

Susan
Aug 26, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun story to tell & draw - glad the actual book is available again.
Vivian
Nov 11, 2010 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Before story time begins, prepare cut-outs of the drawing and additions that appear in this story. I used brown craft paper and cut a simple outline of bear's drawing of his mother. I cut out large circles for the eyes from white paper and drew a black dot in them. Next I cut the circles smaller, keeping the outside cut-away rings to use later. I cut rabbit ears from the brown paper. I cut a sliver of a smile from pink paper and then a huge smile from yellow paper. I cut two pink circle to make ...more
Liz Todd
Oct 31, 2015 Liz Todd rated it it was ok
Mama loves it just the way it is.

Could be an interesting visualizing story.. kids could picture what the bear face would look like with each addition and then reveal page by page.
Emily Hudak
Jun 06, 2015 Emily Hudak rated it really liked it
Same story as 'Monkey Face' by Frank Asch, except with bears instead of monkeys. Could be used in an art program on self portraits/perspectives in art.
Karen Arendt
May 30, 2015 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect story for realizing that your best is just perfect for mom.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 07, 2015 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Exactly what you'd expect a good mother to say.
Vicki
Jul 13, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I have shared this book with many age groups and get laughs every time. I really feel that the title doesn't represent what the book is about. This story is about creativity, friendship, and a mother's love and acceptance. I found this story in a flannel board form and recreated it. The script that went along with it was titled "Monkey Face". Today I used this flannelboard for our summer reading outdoor Family Story Time with our theme of Friendly Monsters and Lights. Again this story was well r ...more
Alexandra
Feb 23, 2014 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Funny and cute story
Oznasia
Jun 10, 2012 Oznasia rated it liked it
Ben the bear paints a picture of his mother at school. On the way home everyone he meets advises him how to improve it. Owl says the eyes should be bigger. Alligator says the mouth should be bigger. Rabbit says the ears...well, you get the idea.

Great story but personally I'm not all that inspired by Frank Asch's childlike drawings. The story starts and ends with bread and honey but otherwise there's no justification for the title.
Samantha Penrose
Jun 11, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book will teach you some animal names, dominant physical traits of those animals (big eyes, long neck, etc)and most importantly, that mommy loves you (and the things you do)just the way you are!
I have owned this book since I was a child, and have read it to all three of my own children.
Heather Torgersen
I can't help but give this story 5 stars since it's one of the few I remember from my childhood, but it's such a great book! This is a great book that reminds children that mom will love their artwork no matter, because it's theirs! It reminds me of an early version of the book Ish :)
Bobby
Sep 22, 2013 Bobby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
May be more like 4.5 stars but rounding up because the story does an excellent job of teaching some pretty profound ideas to young kids. Definitely a book to discuss after reading it to the little ones.
Jamie Nicole
Feb 18, 2011 Jamie Nicole rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a kid! It shows how good art is interpreted differently by different "people" and mom will love it no matter what because you made it and tried your best!
Nicole
Nicole added it
Aug 07, 2016
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
nohemi diaz
nohemi diaz is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Maegan
Maegan rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
John
John added it
Feb 24, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Nathan Neumann
Nathan Neumann rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Stephani
Stephani rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo
More about Frank Asch...