Start by marking “Bread and honey” as Want to Read:
Bread and honey

Bread and honey (Baby Bear)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Bread and Honey (A Frank Asch Bear story)
Published April 1st 1982 by Dutton Childrens Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and honey

Vivian
Before story time begins, prepare cut-outs of the drawing and additions that appear in this story. I used brown craft paper and cut a simple outline of bear's drawing of his mother. I cut out large circles for the eyes from white paper and drew a black dot in them. Next I cut the circles smaller, keeping the outside cut-away rings to use later. I cut rabbit ears from the brown paper. I cut a sliver of a smile from pink paper and then a huge smile from yellow paper. I cut two pink circle to make ...more
Emily Hudak
Same story as 'Monkey Face' by Frank Asch, except with bears instead of monkeys. Could be used in an art program on self portraits/perspectives in art.
Karen Arendt
Perfect story for realizing that your best is just perfect for mom.
Edward Sullivan
Exactly what you'd expect a good mother to say.
Vicki
I have shared this book with many age groups and get laughs every time. I really feel that the title doesn't represent what the book is about. This story is about creativity, friendship, and a mother's love and acceptance. I found this story in a flannel board form and recreated it. The script that went along with it was titled "Monkey Face". Today I used this flannelboard for our summer reading outdoor Family Story Time with our theme of Friendly Monsters and Lights. Again this story was well r ...more
Alexandra
Funny and cute story
Oznasia
Ben the bear paints a picture of his mother at school. On the way home everyone he meets advises him how to improve it. Owl says the eyes should be bigger. Alligator says the mouth should be bigger. Rabbit says the ears...well, you get the idea.

Great story but personally I'm not all that inspired by Frank Asch's childlike drawings. The story starts and ends with bread and honey but otherwise there's no justification for the title.
Samantha Penrose
This book will teach you some animal names, dominant physical traits of those animals (big eyes, long neck, etc)and most importantly, that mommy loves you (and the things you do)just the way you are!
I have owned this book since I was a child, and have read it to all three of my own children.
Heather Torgersen
I can't help but give this story 5 stars since it's one of the few I remember from my childhood, but it's such a great book! This is a great book that reminds children that mom will love their artwork no matter, because it's theirs! It reminds me of an early version of the book Ish :)
Bobby
May be more like 4.5 stars but rounding up because the story does an excellent job of teaching some pretty profound ideas to young kids. Definitely a book to discuss after reading it to the little ones.
Jamie Nicole
This was one of my favorite books as a kid! It shows how good art is interpreted differently by different "people" and mom will love it no matter what because you made it and tried your best!
Gember-Jacobson Family
Gember-Jacobson Family marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Kelsey Robertson
Kelsey Robertson marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
WCNS
WCNS added it
Jun 02, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Melissa Mcavoy
Melissa Mcavoy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo
More about Frank Asch...