Start by marking “The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)

The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel #3)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,326 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Peter F. Hamilton is one the rising stars of science fiction in the nineties. His epic space adventure, The Reality Dysfunction, was a major international bestseller, while his near future thrillers, Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder, introduced an intriguing new hero in the character of Greg Mandel, a freelance operative whose telepathic abilities give him a crucial ed
Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Published June 15th 1999 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Nano Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nano Flower

Tamahome
May 24, 2012 Tamahome rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
It starts with a robot cockroach being dropped into a toilet. Tee hee!

5/18 hrs - Good characters and tech, and the possibility of aliens. Now this is the Hamilton I know and love.

16/18 hrs - Seeing some ideas from his next Night's Dawn trilogy. There was actually a lot of action around 9 hours. It almost felt like the end of a book. I'm sure some action is coming up now.

All done. The conclusion was very 'organic'. There were definitely precursors to his later work. I loved the female tech merc c
T.I.M. James
I was a bit apprehensive about starting this book - I'm a big Peter F Hamilton fan, but as good as his earlier work is, it does not compare to the Reality Dysfunction and beyond.

I should not have worried, this, the last of the Greg Mandel books shows a writer really starting to come into his own.

It deals with big themes (especially the end), a rapidly escalating situation, some dynamic action sequences, while keeping true to the characters established in the earlier novels.

There is a genuine
Readelf
Jul 16, 2012 Readelf rated it liked it
Shelves:
I really love the Greg Mandel books and would have given them 5 stars as they were particular favourites when I was a teenager, however on a re-read I find the concept of a conservative government and benevolent captalism saving the day (particularly as embodied by Julia Evans) rather galling.

The concept is great fun though. An ex-army commando acquires a useable psychic ability as part of a military experiment and then uses his ability to set himself up as a private detective. The Psi Boost (m
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Nano Flower..up until the ending...It's not that it's a 'bad' ending exactly, it's just that the latter portions of the novel get a little strange...

the book's been summarized pretty well in the editorial excerpts as well as the previous reviewers' statements so I won't go into that in any great depth.

Greg's pulled out of retirement (once again) by Julia Evans (you guessed it) because she gets a note from her missing lover Royan, delivered by a known consort (read, call girl
Rob
Sep 14, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it
The final book in the Mandel series. It was very awesome. Just as good as the first, though different, and far better than the 2nd. And it's the only one in the series that can possibly be classified as a space opera.

Note that you can safely skip the 2nd book in the series and only read #1 and #3 if you want. This one takes place 15 years after the 2nd book and the plot is not contiguous except for the introduction of a couple minor characters.

Hamilton's story pacing, action sequences, and world
korty
Oct 24, 2007 korty rated it it was amazing
This is the first Peter Hamilton book I ever read although it is the third in the trilogy. I found it as an import, and thank goodness for that because if I had first encountered this book through the (original) US version, I never would have picked it up, because the cover is absolutely atrocious. That would have been a shame, because this is a wonderful near future cyber thriller. The first book is good. The second one I did not like very much. But this one is a classic. It is set in the UK an ...more
Jared Butler
Jan 24, 2016 Jared Butler rated it really liked it
The third in the Greg Mandel series, and a worthy finale. The characters have all evolved from their early beginnings, and to Hamilton's credit, they were not predictable decisions. The story kept my attention, but the characters themselves really helped it along. The worldview of the environment also gave the novel depth and aided in the experience. I enjoy the author's description of economics and social behavior within his fictional future, with brief glances at its history for good measure. ...more
Reinhold
Auch “Die Nano-Blume” ist eine rasante Mischung aus Detektivkrimi und Science-Fiction, ein Thriller aus der nahen Zukunft, in dem auch Aliens ein Wörtchen mitzureden haben.
Dies ist auch der Abschlussband der "Mindstar-Trilogie", mit der sich der Peter F. Hamilton seinen Platz im Science-Fiction-Genre erobert hat. Die ersten zwei Bände heißen “Die Spinne im Netz” und “Das Mord-Paradigma”.
Siebzehn Jahre nach den Ereignissen in “Das Mord-Paradigma”: Julia Evans, Besitzerin des Großkonzerns “Event H
Dean C. Moore
Oct 23, 2015 Dean C. Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remain a huge fan of this series involving a telepathic freelance operative investigating hi-tech crimes sometime in the near future. Everything that I loved from book one is here, albeit the page count of this instalment is a great deal bigger. With that increased page count comes a lot more world building, and some fleshed out characters in an ensemble cast that a smaller book couldn’t accommodate. And quite frankly, all that extra character work and world building was fascinating and handl ...more
Robert
Jan 17, 2009 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
The third Greg Mandel novel finds Hamilton straining the limits of his post-Warming, post socialist tyrany, hi-tech world of psychics and corporate espionage: suddenly we have an alien flower and visits to space. This is a thriller more in the vein of the first Mandel novel, Mindstar Rising, than the formal murder-mystery of the second. That's probably why I prefer the middle novel: Hamilton is at his best when writing detective stories.
Tanya Korval
Jan 16, 2013 Tanya Korval rated it it was amazing
For the final book in the Greg Mandel series, Hamilton gives him his biggest case. Greg's journey is well drawn and convincing: he's changed considerably since the first book and it's a shame to see him hang up his psychic powers. Hamilton caps off the series nicely: it's sad to see it end, but it's always good to see a series finish on high rather than left open for a sequel that never comes.
Richard Bickerton
The last Book in the Mandel series. I have to say I am sad to have finished them. I like Hamilton's vision of the future,the characters and character development and story lines. As such I have read almost all his published work. It seems he has explored several time periods in earths future. Though the characters in this book were getting older it is a shame they have passed out of time.
Duncan
Nov 25, 2015 Duncan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
An energetic story and much better than the previous sequel (a Qantum Murder). Overall an enjoyable read. The story is set in a post global warming England (UK no longer) where the New Conservatice government is completely in the pocket of the aerospace and power industry, and one company in particular Event Horizon. This self funded corporate giant dominates the English economy whilst paying very little in taxation, and maintaining its predominant position through employment of mercenary hardli ...more
Len
Jul 27, 2012 Len rated it really liked it
The most "Hamilton" of the 3 Greg Mandel books and I also notice some idea he later expanded on in his other books. Fun read.
Kenzie Lamar
Aug 01, 2014 Kenzie Lamar rated it really liked it
Great series by a very good author. So far this is my favorite series from Peter F. Hamilton. I have his latest series yet to read.

The Nano Flower is as close as a contemporary book can get to cyberpunk but not really be cyberpunk. What I mean by that is that "cyberpunk" was mostly written in the 80s and 90s and has that feel and flavor. It got a lot of future predictions wrong and correcting those predictions kind of ruins the feel of what cyberpunk is. What I think the Greg Mandel series does
Hali Sowle
The third book in the Mindstar/Greg Mandel series (or volume 2 in the kindle edition) takes us back to the world of Julia Evans and Event Horizons, Mindstar and the rest of the post warming world that Peter Hamilton has created. It's been at least 17 years since the end of the last book and Greg and Eleanor have 4 children with another on the way, and Julia and Royan have two. But Royan went missing 8 months ago with no clues to his whereabouts until a "professional" delivers a box with a flower ...more
Shawn Conroy
The End of Greg Mandel's Story

This interesting and action pack conclusion to the Greg Mandel story is clearly some of Peter F. Hamilton's earlier work, not as big picture as his other work. It is a fun conclusion to the career of Greg who has become a much older man than he was in the previous books. It's hard for me to call these a trilogy as there is no story connecting them. But it is the end cap of Greg's career.

Here we see a peak of Hamilton's galaxy spanning narratives. Without spoiling mu
Simon Mcleish
Oct 03, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in November 2000.

The third Greg Mandel novel is, like its predecessors, obviously flawed; unlike them, it is more a thriller than a mystery. It is set the better part of two decades later, when Greg and his wife Eleanor have teenage children, and Greg's friend and employer (billionaire industrialist Julia Evans) has a husband and children of her own. Had a husband, I should say, for he has gone missing before the start of the novel. The story begins when a fl
Tim Jin
Jul 28, 2015 Tim Jin rated it really liked it
"The Nano Flower" is the last book in the Greg Mandel Trilogy. I read the first book about 10 months ago and forgot to finish the last book until now. It took some time to get my ears adjusted to the story again, but I have to agree with other reviewers that the last book was better than the first and second. Of course I am used to of Hamilton's space opera, but I enjoyed this sci fi. Great description of the alien and good character development. The Nano Flower was an awesome twist in the plot. ...more
Steven Bragg
Mar 26, 2015 Steven Bragg rated it really liked it
This is definitely the best book in the Greg Mandel series. Julia Evans is well drawn as the main character, and the general scale of the action is much more expansive than in the previous two books. My only issue is with the underlying premise regarding Royan and the alien, which is so odd that either you believe it or the reasoning behind most of the plot collapses. If you can get past that one minor (!) item, this is quite a good read.
Nathan
Jul 23, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
15 years have passed since the events in A Quantum Murder. Greg, Julia and the others have all got older and wiser (well, most of them have got wiser), but now they are confronted by what seems to be a matter that nobody else have. Aliens seem to have appeared, and threaten to upset the global balance.

In my view this is the best of the three books. It has a better balance between the political, the action, the commercial, the personal than the other two.

There are some issues with pacing, and of
Mike
I really like the character of Greg Mandel, and I enjoy Peter F. Hamilton's books (with the normal caveat I give for him: beware of the sexuality), however I think the first book was the best. The second and third books had slightly weirder plot lines and resolutions -- but hey, that's part of science fiction! Just a bit incongruous with the original "mystery" genre.
Binky Bowberg
Feb 17, 2014 Binky Bowberg rated it it was ok
Just OK. It was hard for me to get into this book for some reason. The story just did not grab me like other Hamilton works in the Greg Mandel series. Found myself skimming to the end. Maybe it wasn't the right read at the right time, but I thought I would enjoy the ending to this trilogy a lot more. No worries - there's plenty more Hamilton to enjoy!
Marco Paganini
Jul 12, 2014 Marco Paganini rated it really liked it
Another great story in the Greg Mandel trilogy, but I'd say not as entertaining as the previous ones (Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder.) The plot stretched a bit at the end and I got somewhat tired (maybe because I read all three books back-to-back.) Unfortunately, this is one of those stories where the author pulls a bit of a Deus Ex at the end to make everything right (fortunately, nothing as big as what he did in the Night's Dawn trilogy.)
Richard
Aug 03, 2014 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Third book in the Greg Mandel Series, and in my opinion the worse. For some reason i just could not get into it compared to the other 2 books. Maybe because it was set 16 years after the first? The story was ok, but i lost some of my connection to the characters.
Glad i read the series in any case.
Rene' Feuerlein
Sep 23, 2014 Rene' Feuerlein rated it really liked it
Ok just finished this last book in the "Greg Mandel" Trilogy and yes it was very good. Went through all three one after another, and are going to miss the characters that were in all three. Never know, but Peter Hamilton might write another some day...
Daniel Hill
Apr 17, 2012 Daniel Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A very old-fashioned sci-fi story, in that there is a mysterious first contact situation, warring human factions and a race to gain alien technology. I found it a little predictable, not in that it is stealing ideas from previous works, just that you knew how things were going to play out before the story got there. However, I think the ending is enough of a pay off for the book to be a very solid addition to the author's back catalogue. The Greg Mandel series is let down by the second novel, bu ...more
Dyien
Apr 26, 2014 Dyien rated it really liked it
This was the first Peter Hamilton book that I read (I have yet to read the others). Extremely engaging story and setting - I can totally recommend it to any sci-fi fan. I must however say that the ending could've been better.
Andreas
May 28, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it
Consisting of:

Mindstar Rising
A Quantum Murder
The Nano Flower

These three loosely connected novels share the same protagonist, Greg Mandel. He is a psychic former soldier who now works as a sort of private investigator/mercenary. Greg comes into contact with a billionaire named Julia Evans, a very interesting characted in herself.

Although they can be read as straightforward SciFi crime novels, there is much more depth here. The location, a post ecodisaster England recovering from climate change
Mike
Nov 03, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
It was a good book in general, with many interesting topics and a good story line. It's not radically diverged from reasonable reality, and the characters behave in realistic manners.

It seems to leave a number of pages to the main character doing whatever the hell she wants because she has the wealth, power, and wisdom to do it right without check. Hamilton seems to have a number of benevolent emperors (or close to it) as main characters in his books that act fairly unilaterally for the greater
  • Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • Century Rain
  • Breakaway (Cassandra Kresnov, #2)
  • Hangfire (Starfist, #6)
  • Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns, #4)
  • Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Sundowner (Nicole Shea, #3)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
More about Peter F. Hamilton...

Greg Mandel (3 books)
  • Mindstar Rising (Greg Mandel, #1)
  • A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel, #2)