Start by marking “MIG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko” as Want to Read:
MIG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko

MIG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  38 reviews
To be a MIG pilot in Russia is to be as close to heaven as communism allows. Millions are spent on your training. And nothing is too lavish for your living. Lt Viktor Belenko was a MIG-25 pilot - one of Russia's elite warriors and the supreme expression of the ideal communist man. Or so everyone believed.
Thwn on September 6, 1976, while on a routine training flight, Lt. Be
Published October 1st 1983 by Avon Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about MIG Pilot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MIG Pilot

Robert
I read this book when the Cold War was boiling over in the mid 80s. I was just starting high school. At the time, it affirmed the idea that everything good was in the West and everything bad was in the East. Soon after, my worldview would become much more nuanced. However, I recall the book was pro-USA without becoming jingoistic. There were even some critiques at the excesses of our society. It's a great biographical tale that had stayed in my memory after three decades. What Viktor Belenko lik ...more
Alicia
This book is like the fore runner to the great non-fiction works that I'm currently reading. It was originally written in 1980 and has a great voice. Telling a very first person account but without using the first person. I found that I liked this detached aspect of the book.

I would say that the most difficult part of the story is remembering that once Russia was thought of totally differently. It's hard to imagine what those times were like. It's incredible to realize that the cold war didn't e
Christian Orr
The courageous and inspirational story of Soviet Air Force Lt. Viktor I. Belenko, who gave up up prestigious and privileged life as a MiG pilot and risked everything out of an unquenchable thirst for freedom. And through his defection, Viktor Ivanovich gave the U.S. military and intelligence communities an invaluable gift, an aviation goldmine known as the MiG-25 Foxbat. Highly recommended reading.

Not only does the book give a fascinating detailed description of the MiG-25's strengths and weakne
Steve Hartman
In this true story from the Cold War, Soviet pilot Lt. Viktor Belenko, on a routine training mission in 1976, veers off course and heads for Japan in his MiG 25 Foxbat. This book tells the story along two vectors; the human interest story of the man and the technology story of the plane.

As a pilot of the Soviet Union's newest interceptor, Lt. Belenko was one of the Soviet military's elite. Pampered and given every special treatment communism allowed, what would drive such a man to deliver himsel
George Bratcher
Nov 22, 2013 George Bratcher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to George by: World Civilizations Teacher
I first read this book in the Spring of 1985 while a Junior at Warren Central High School. Up to this point, having watched the nightly news since about age 8, I was scared to death of the Soviet Union. After reading the book, I FEARED for the Russians and Eastern Communists countries, realizing Russia was simply a 3rd world country with a bomb, and their own people pushed to cynicism about Communism. One of my favorite lines is where Belenko speaks of his days working in the tank factory, and t ...more
Allison
I love this story--kid born in poverty, abondoned by parents, not much to hope for under Soviet rule. But he is easily inspired (namely by Saint-Exupéry and the romance of flight), and Belenko's life quest is to one day enjoy the freedom of the skies and to become the ultimate New Soviet Man. I'm convinced that if we could approach challenges--or even what seem to be insurmountable limitation--we could be the next Jack Wheeler, if wanted. Also inspiring: though Belenko had obtained his dream of ...more
Crystal
The story follows Belenko, poster-boy of a New Communist, from his childhood to his escape in one of Russia's prize fighters. I love this book. It's funny, suspenseful, and very real. From spraying trees green, drinking jet fuel, listening to illicit guitar music, and watching your ceiling slowly collapse, this book is a never-ending source of amusement but also an education in Cold War era Soviet life. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Russian culture, Soviet-American ...more
Michael
Dec 17, 2008 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone! We all need to understand the dangers of socialism.
Recommended to Michael by: Sherri
This book was an eye opening journey into the life of what my life would be like under a socialistic rule. I'm getting ready to be a pilot and I can't even imagine what he had to go through to be a pilot in the Soviet Union. I wish we all could read this book in order to understand the dangers of socialism and why we should avoid any steps toward socialism with all the fervor we can. I'm grateful for Lt. Belenko for being brave enough to stand up to a system he knew was corrupt. It would be awes ...more
Jonathan Friedmann
This is a fascinating true story of a boy raised in communist Russia to a top MiG pilot. He sees that communism doesn't work, makes a thrilling escape to the USA, but struggles to believe the freedoms of capitalism. I would recommend reading two books before this one to really grasp the full depth of this testimonial. Start with 1984 to see Orwell's predictions of communism and then read Yeager to follow the thrilling true story of top US pilot. Then this book completes the comparison.
Tim
I read this when I was a kid because I was into airplanes and war and stuff; I saw a jet on the cover and thought 'cool.' It really blew my mind because it was so harsh and crazy. The writing is really direct, I like that.

Belenko became a hero to me after reading this. Me, I'm just a soft, lazy, pencil-necked, nerd. I can't imagine being as tough and resourceful a man as he was.

I LOVE to lend this book out to people!!
Sudha Bellamkonda
This is written from an undeniably American perspective so there is room for debate among some of the qualitative assessments of life in the Soviet Union vs US that are portrayed. That said, Belenko's acute observations that fuel his skepticism of soviet propaganda are very clearly stated and add legitimacy. He has certainly lead a very interesting and brave life, the book itself is could-not-put-it-down fast paced.
Bradley
An excellent slice of history that I was completely unaware of about a Soviet fighter pilot who defected to America. It delves into his personal history and tells a grim tale about the Soviet Union. This book could have been useful in one of my college courses about Russia. If this copy had been in better condition it would remain in my permanent collection. =)
Diana Adkins
I was fascinated with life in Russia. Especially the info about the lack of building codes for their housing. When an earthquake hit in Russia many years after I had read the book
I understood why none of the buildings had withstood the quake. This man was desperate and probably didn't know just how brave he was at the time.
Tyler
Powerful, well written book about a Russian pilot who escapes to the west in a top-secret Jet. Enlightening read, really got a good view of what Russia was like at the hight of the cold war. (Belenko's attempts to acclimate to western life can prove funny at times!)
Anthony
I read this in the late 80s, when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I checked it out from my school library because it had a jet on the cover. I'm in no position to review it, as it was so long ago, but I liked the story and I'm glad I read it while the Cold War was still on.
Luke Terry
An account of what it was like for a Russian pilot to escape a real life 'Animal Farm' environment during the height of the cold war. I'd give it a solid 3 1/2 stars. Makes you grateful for the things you generally take for granted in America
Courtney
Notwithstanding the crummy writing, the story is very good. It's a fascinating story but after I read it, I realized it was written by someone who writes for Reader's Digest and it Really reads like Reader's Digest. ugh.
Mike Grady
Read this a long time ago, when the Cold War was still going on. As a kid, it provided a glimpse into "the other side" as well as the thought processes behind someone defecting to their sworn enemy. Fascinating read.
Bhops
Jan 06, 2008 Bhops rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs
Entertaining biography of the first mig pilot to defect to Japan and the west. Interesting accounts of Lt. Belenko's reaction to the abundance of the west, which he believes to be propaganda for his benefit.
Richard
Really liked it- airplanes aside, I loved how it shows the differences between the effects of communism and the effects of capitalism on the country and the lives of the peoples.
Sherri
Fascinating look into Russian life. I challenge my good friend Lt. Mohlman to read this awesome book! And if you send me your new address Kimbo, I'll loan it to Mikey! =]
Julie
Seriously? The first few times I read this I thought it was just really good fiction. Okay, so maybe I was nine or ten. Some books I just enjoy and reread; this is one.
Chadbogue
very good. I learned how russians lived under communism and don't have much freedom and very hard for people to thinking how can they esacpe to freedom.
Colleen Zeller
I loved it. It was a great story about Lt. Belenko's escape from Russia.
I would enjoy hearing him speak about his life.
Glenn Banks DDS
i read this book a long time ago. when i was interesting in the USSR. communism is a less than ideal government.
Brian Thompson
Interesting tale of former Soviet MiG pilot who defected with his ultra-secret jet in 1976 to Japan.
Gideon
Amazing insight into how one man comes to the conclusion that his country's behavior goes against his ideals
David
Read this in the 80s... an interesting if blatantly propagandist story about a Soviet defector.
Mroberts
amazing story. also written amazingly simple, and real. you are in it from the beginning.
Freedom 1 6 Jan 06, 2009 08:34PM
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • With Wings Like Eagles
  • Battle of Wits: The Complete Story of Codebreaking in World War II
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain
  • Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage
  • Submarine!
  • Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain
  • The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin
  • Lonely Vigil: Coastwatchers of the Solomons
  • Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs
  • Attack of the Seawolf
Operation Solo: The FBI's Man in the Kremlin KGB: The Secret Work of Soviet Secret Agents Breaking the Ring KGB Today: The Hidden Hand Murder of a Gentle Land: The Untold Story of a Communist Genocide in Cambodia