Start by marking “Owls: The Silent Fliers” as Want to Read:
Owls: The Silent Fliers

R.D. Lawrence

Owls: The Silent Fliers

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  26 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews

For centuries, owls have held an extraordinary fascination for people. Since Roman times, they have both been persecuted as harbingers of death and treasured as the embodiment of good fortune. Even today they are shot and trapped for sport or killed for the supposed curative powers of their eyes and feathers. It is a testament to the owl's great intelligence and toughness

Published August 28th 2004 by Key Porter Books Ltd ,Canada (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Owls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owls

Lisa Kearns
Jun 24, 2013 Lisa Kearns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by R.D. Lawrence I've read that goes in depth about a specific species. I've read all of his books about his exploration, his farm, his various rehabilitated animal guests. I wasn't sure I'd like a book that was too technical, but as always R.D. Lawrence charmed me with personal stories of his interactions with owls, interspersed with the drier information.

This book covers all the of the major owl species in the world, and goes into great detail about each one in a dedicat
Maya
Sep 06, 2016 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Between spring and autumn, night-hunting owls sometimes store surplus prey for short periods, perhaps for one or two days, but they usually eat it before it goes bad. In winter, however, saw-whet, great horned, snowy and boreal owls who have made several successful hunts, have been known to store the extra prey, which of course freezes, for some time. Now, one would think that for a small owl like the saw-whet, or even for a large owl like the great horned, frozen meat would be hard to tear up ...more
Tulara
Jul 28, 2010 Tulara rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading about the owls - I had no idea of all the different kinds. I had some burrowing owls living in a large drainpipe I had on the property in California - they were great. When I came home in the dark and started down the driveway, I'd see them at the crest of the small hill seemingly glaring at my interruption of their evening. They came back every year.
The author has a tendency to brush aside people who don't know bird species or bird knowledge. He's a little condescending when w
Christian Brown
Jul 15, 2007 Christian Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ecostudies
This is a really cool book that serves as an introduction to some of the different owl species in North America as told by an owl expert of 76 years. In the book, he talks about personal stories regarding owl rehabilitation and rescue, and also breaks down basic information as to diet, habitat, personality, hunting style and mating season. There are also some fantastic pictures in the book. A good, quick, yet informative read.
Carina
Oct 16, 2013 Carina rated it liked it
I liked this book because the author tells of his experiences with different species of owls, and I also liked the photos. It was a bit confusing at times, but in the end it was a good reference book. I recommend this to anyone who likes owl.
Claire
Aug 20, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
This book was filled with information, great stories, and beautiful pictures. The reader really gets a sense of how involved with the natural world the author is.
Amy Derwae
Dec 31, 2014 Amy Derwae rated it really liked it
Beautiful photos, great information and wonderful stories about the author's interactions with owls.
Caitlin Chazen
Caitlin Chazen rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Pia
Pia rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2010
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2009
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2013
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Pat Parkhurst
Pat Parkhurst rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Jen Hill
Jen Hill rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2009
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Henry
Henry rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Shelly Pridmore
Shelly Pridmore rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2007
Kathi Ellsworth
Kathi Ellsworth rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Rami
Rami rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Clayton
Clayton rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2008
Mer
Mer rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2007
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2009
Lisa Kearns
Lisa Kearns rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Ingeborg Visscher
Ingeborg Visscher marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2009
Bob
Bob added it
Jun 23, 2009
Amanda
Amanda added it
Mar 24, 2010
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2010
Dan Pettus
Dan Pettus marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2010
Ric Santora
Ric Santora is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2012
David
David added it
Jul 23, 2012
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
Margeaux
Margeaux marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Mona Ohana
Mona Ohana marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Kim Baker
Kim Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Last Ranger
Last Ranger marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Chad Jamieson
Chad Jamieson marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Alison Roberts
Alison Roberts marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
R.D. Lawrence was a Canadian naturalist and wildlife author. Born aboard ship in the Bay of Biscay off the coast of Spain on September 12, 1921, he moved to Canada in 1954. RD Lawrence died of Alzheimer's on November 27, 2003 in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada.

RD Lawrence's many books are published in 26 countries and 15 languages and take us to animal habitats far from humans; to the boreal fo
More about R.D. Lawrence...