Start by marking “The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You” as Want to Read:
The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You

The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  46 reviews
You wish you didn’t spend as much time worrying as you do, but you just can’t seem to help it. Worrying feels like second nature. It’s what helps you solve your problems and prevents you from making mistakes. It’s what motivates you to be prepared—if you didn’t worry, things might get out of hand. Worry protects you, prepares you, and keeps you safe.

Is it working? Or is it
Published October 24th 2006 by Harmony (first published 2005)

Gina
Another book I recommend to my clients. It's most appropriate for people who struggle with generalized worry (i.e., worry that crosses many domains)-- and may be less helpful for people with specific phobias, social anxiety, panic disorder....

However, I really enjoy the way Leahy writes and I found that there is a lot of useful advice for the average person. I mean, who couldn't use some advice on:
Identifying Productive and Unproductive Worry
Accepting Reality and Committing to Change
Challenging
Scotty tooHotty
As some someone who suffers from Generalized Anxiety I found this book to be a gold mine.
I received this book as an xmas gift from my brother and his wife. Now I am allowed to write and use it a reference when I have worries.
Although it tends to be repetitive as most self help books are this is still a great book. Each step is broken down with assignments and real life examples that almost anyone can relate to.
I will continue to use this throughout my life to learn how to overcome and success
Emily
Feb 02, 2008 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Worriers all over
Good book that helps worriers of all types. For example, the top 12 things NOT to do in order to decrease worry:

1. Seeking reassurance
2. Trying to stop your thoughts
3. Collecting information
4. Checking over and over
5. Avoiding discomfort
6. Numbing yourself with alcohol, drugs, or food
7. Overpreparing
8. Using safety behaviors (superstitious behaviors)
9. Always trying to make a good impression
10. Ruminating--chewing it over and over
11. Demanding certainty
12. Refusing to accept the fact that you ha
Dan
Aug 23, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: worriers
I learned some awesome methods to take control of your thoughts and keep you on track. Worry isn't anxiety, nervousness, or fear; it's a certain type thinking which is 99% useless. For thinkers this will greatly increase the productivity of your mind and (obviously) make you feel good!
Victoria
I own this book, and I will not part with it. Sorry folks! This book has changed my life. Ask Kara and Craig if you don't believe me. It provides excellent steps and exercises for dealing with the overthinking-worst-case-scenario type...like myself!
Alicia
This book was life-altering for me. I have been a chronic worrier for longer than I can remember. I have read many books on anxiety and worrying, but this one by far surpasses them all. Not only does this book offer great techniques to stop worrying so much, it also provides a lot of insight about why we worry and how worrying affects our daily lives. For me the most valuable part was the fact that I realized I'm not the only chronic worrier on earth and that there is hope to one day escape from ...more
Cognitive behavioural therapy approach based on academic research with lots of references to other sources. Very helpful.
Janet
Jan 29, 2009 Janet marked it as to-read
I've discovered in early mid-life that I'm a worrier....and I want to stop!
Auntjenny
The writing is as bland as a doctor's waiting room, but the advice is helpful, if you can catch yourself doing the behaviors Leahy writes about.

One major qualm I have with this otherwise useful book: Leahy's section "Your Parents Taught You To Worry" in which he literally and ridiculously blames mothers for everyone's anxiety problems. How do mothers teach their children to worry? Well, he cites several very nuanced examples, namely that mothers say things like "wear your gloves," "don't stay o
Kevin
A very practical, empowering, and informative book. I never realized worry and anxiety are different things, and that worry is a tactic to use against anxiety. The book outlines different types of worrying (productive vs. unproductive) and provides tools with how to deal with them. It's definitely one of those books you need to "do" in order for it to be beneficial, but just reading it made me feel more in control. I feel that a book like this works best if it's read or done in conjunction with ...more
Lauren
So this one and the next one are not really useful reviews for anyone who isn't me, but, hey, I did read this book this year, so.

If you have anxiety and want some basic, structured ways of thinking about what's going on in your brain and some ways of starting to combat it, then here you go. It's probably not that useful for someone who hasn't been through CBT before, but that probably varies by person.

Anyway. It helped me somewhat, whatever that's worth.
Zoie
Jan 18, 2015 Zoie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
This book was great. A lot of good insight. Definitely could be abridged, but there are lots of great quizzes to really look at your beliefs, and figure out what stresses you out, and how to stop it.
Very helpful. I would recommend it to anyone.
Jacqueline
Before I bought this, the amazon reviews said it was helpful but repetitive in places. I share that assessment with the caveat that the repetition worked for me. Those who read self-help books need a message drummed into their heads!

The message that worry is born out of a need to control and impatience to be reassured immediately is right on target. We need to embrace the fact that we can't control the future, we can only improve the moment. Imagining what has not happened yet only destroys our
Amy
You'll find lots of extremely practical strategies for dealing with worry. Leahy is a bit too general, but he's writing for a mass audience so that's acceptable.

He is able to put something useful in all of his examples. A chapter might use an work through the steps using someone who is afraid of not having enough money, but someone with a completely different type of worry can still benefit from the info in that chapter. Definitely worth a read if you have a problem with anxiety and worry. Some
Marc Hopson
Not bad of a read. Really makes you think about the source of worry.
Yasser Hassan
A review of the abridged audio book edition:
The purpose of this book is to teach the listener/reader how to cure his worries through practical steps but it turns out to be more than that. What this book actually teaches is how to deal with and practice life wisely, practically, and reasonably. By doing so, worry will be cured by itself.

When it comes to worry in specific, it teaches how to worry right. Worry is not all bad after all and sometimes necessary.
Susan
This is an amazing book and it helped me realize the struggles I have in my life and why some of them occur! I can't wait to try and work on getting rid of my constant worry! It's very hard on me and this book really helped me see what worry truly is, why people do it, etc. I highly recommend this book to ANYONE who is struggling. The author writes in such a down-to-earth way, which in my opinion makes it much more enjoyable to read.
Mick
I've got generalized anxiety disorder, and though I'm not into self help books, this is the first one that I've read that has actually helped me. The strategies here are really useful, and the self-tests really helped me focus in on what my specific worry triggers are. Leahy's examples sometimes seem repetitive, but in the end, this book is one I'll go back to. I definitely recommend this for those with anxiety.
Nina Mcdaniel
Excellent self help book based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I would rename it though...possibly "The Uncontrollable Thought-Life Cure" or something that doesn't use the word "Worry". It was so much more than that. Efficiency-addicts, Perfectionists, and Over-prepare-ers will laugh out loud at how accurate he pinpoints our habits and thoughts. TONS of practical information and evidence-based techniques.
Nicky
I worry a lot, like a lot a lot. And, of course, I was worried this book wouldn’t help me. Ba-dum-bum. But it did help. In fact, "help” isn’t strong enough. It brainwashed me. My brain actually feels cleaner.

Leahy's "cure" is simple and obvious. As Oprah would say, I had like a bazillion "aha!" moments while reading this. The whole experience was extremely humbling. Highly recommended.
Camie
The Worry Cure was very helpful and gave suggestions that I think are attainable...unlike some self help books. I am a definite worrier and I am excited to try some of the things this book suggests. I like how at the end of each chapter the author gives a summary of what the talked about. I am in need of some worry relief right now so hopefully this book helps!! :)
Becky
Jul 05, 2010 Becky added it
OK I didn't finish this one either (I'm going to have to be more careful about what I put on my list since I can't seem to remove them if I don't intend to finish them right away). The book actually MADE me anxious talking about all of people's anxieties so I decided to give it a break for now. Plus it was due back to the library and was a non-renewable item.
Mallory
I'm amazed at how helpful this book was. It really does have some great tips in it. I highly recommend it for anyone with anxiety or worry issues. My only problem is that about halfway through it starts to drag. It seems like he rephrases techniques he has described earlier and is repeating himself. That said, don't let it scare you away.
Helene
Read this as a recommendation to support my daughter who is excellent at worrying. Some this material is right on the money about worry and it offers ideas to change the behavior of worrying. I did like some of the strategies and it was on point. A little dry..My daughter enjoyed the self tests which provoked conversation.
Marissa
Sep 19, 2008 Marissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who worries a lot
Recommended to Marissa by: read about it in a magazine article
I've been 'a worrier all my life' - didn't realize that it's pretty common. Reading this book was like reading a biography of myself - sometimes to the point of being spooky. I plan to apply the practical exercises he suggests to deal with worry and know that my life won't be the same after reading this book.
Jennifer Daiker
This read allowed me the ability to calmly approach sensitive issues with a more relaxed and logical outlook! It will take practice to become a habit but I'm ready for the challenge.
Barb K.
I have to say, I didn't read all of this book because it was too boring for me. Basically, I perused it. It was probably pretty informational, but for more practical use I would recommend How To Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie. I loved that book!
The
A well-written and useful book. I think it's not just for people who feel plagued by extreme worry--a lot of the advice and ideas seem to apply to generally improving one's life and state of mind, and helping one live in the present moment more effectively.
Grace
Nonfiction. A practitioner of cognitive behavioral therapy explains how to change behavior and worry less by accepting reality, accepting limitations, challenging core beliefs, challenging negative automatic thinking, and embracing failures.
The Worry Cure 1 12 Oct 22, 2008 06:04PM
  • The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It
  • Don't Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks
  • Procrastination: Why You Do It, What To Do About It
  • Infinite Conversation
  • Emotion: The Science of Sentiment
  • No Excuses: 9 Ways Women Can Change How We Think about Power
  • Tapping the Healer Within: Using Thought-Field Therapy to Instantly Conquer Your Fears, Anxieties, and Emotional Distress
  • How to Want What You Have: Discovering the Magic and Grandeur of Ordinary Existence
  • The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD: An 8-Step Program for Strengthening Attention, Managing Emotions, and Achieving Your Goals
  • Comic Book History of Comics
Cognitive Therapy Techniques: A Practitioner's Guide Anxiety Free: Unravel Your Fears Before They Unravel You Treatment Plans and Interventions for Depression and Anxiety Disorders Beat the Blues Before They Beat You: How to Overcome Depression Contemporary Cognitive Therapy: Theory, Research, and Practice