When a Pet Dies

When a Pet Dies

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  16 reviews

"A sensitive and sensible first book about death." The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books

Filled with warmth and reassurance,...When a Pe...more
Published April 13th 1998 by Puffin

Charity (CJ)
After my children watched as our neighbor's dog was struck by a car and killed in the street outside our house, I turned to my old friend, the library, to help me find ways of answering their questions. When a Pet Dies was one of my favorite books from the bunch that search yielded.

This book handles the death of a pet in Fred Rogers' characteristically gentle and straightforward manner. I didn't end up reading this book to my kids because it didn't really address the questions they had after thi...more
Dolly
Aug 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Back in 2008, I put this book on my to-read list, thinking that one of our cats would pass away soon. I wanted to read this book with our girls to help them understand about what the death of a pet means and that it is okay to be sad.

Almost miraculously, though, our cat survived and is still hale and hearty today. But a puppy we adopted several months ago as a companion for my mother-in-law ran in front of a car a few days ago and was killed instantly. Our household was inconsolable for a few d...more
Randie
This informational book was written to help families talk about the death of a pet with children. The information is factual, but still has an element of comfort and gentleness to it. In place of illustrations are actual photographs of families with their pets. The photographs are very dated but families can still relate to and see themselves in the photographs.

A recommend this book to families who have experienced the loss of a pet and who went clear information and suggestions for how to cope.
Teniesha Kessler-Emanuel
Mister Rogers is my personal Jesus, and this little book reminded me, truly, what incredible insight he had about children's worlds. This book confronts a pet's death straightforwardly and practically, reminding children that it's OK to feel grief and that, with time, that grief will go away, though it doesn't go so far as to explain euthanasia, which I thought was appropriate.
Myth Girl
This is the best children's book on pet death I've read so far. It's not a story about a specific pet, but a description of veterinarians, how pets can get sick, what death is, and how the pain of grief won't last forever. It is filled with colorful photographs.
Valerie
Summary: In this useful book from the First Experience series, the affable star of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood helps children share feelings of the loss of a pet while offering reassurance that grieving is a natural, healing thing to do. A sensitive and sensible first book about death. -- The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Filled with warmth and reassurance,...When a Pet Dies assures youngsters that no matter how badly they feel when they lose a pet, in time their hurt will ease, an...more
Jenny
Mr. Rogers always knows what to say. We knew we'd have to put our pet down since she was very sick and she'd been around for my son since he was a baby. At first I thought that I did not read a book but I bought this one at the last minute and I'm relieved I did. If I hadn't had it, I would probably have just said "She's sleeping" or "She went away" and that's not fair to kids. This book is very honest and explains what it means for dogs to die and then helps kids feel their feelings. We read it...more
Derek Brown
This really helped when my daughter's cat died in an accident.
Kim
My son’s pet fish which was also his first pet recently died. I found this book helpful. It helped to reinforce that it is okay to be sad and angry. I also liked that it encourage children to talk to their parents about their feelings. I think this book gave my young son some things to think about.
Sandra Stiles
Every parent should have this book if they have pets and children. Mister Rogers takes the parents and child through the steps of grieving for a lost pet. It tells them what to expect as in emotions and gives tips on things that will make it a little easier to handle.
Christy
This is a good book to explain that when a pet dies, she is gone forever. This book didn't result in tears.
Kellie
As always, pitch perfect, gentle, and totally in tune with the needs and concerns of 4-7 year olds.
Katherine
old school pictures, a great message about grief (nuanced but clear, focused with great points)
Roxann
A great book to read with your child when a pet dies.
Anna
Good for kids in the Mr. Rogers fan age set.
Antje
Antje added it
Jul 07, 2014
Tamera
Tamera marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Pepper
Pepper marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.
More about Fred Rogers...
The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers: Things to Remember Along the Way Dear Mister Rogers, Does It Ever Rain in Your Neighborhood?: Letters to Mister Rogers Many Ways to Say I Love You: Wisdom for Parents and Children from Mister Rogers You Are Special: Neighborly Wit And Wisdom From Mister Rogers