Start by marking “When a Pet Dies” as Want to Read:
When a Pet Dies

When a Pet Dies

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

"A sensitive and sensible first book about death." The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books

Filled with warmth and reassurance,...When a Pe
Published April 13th 1998 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about When a Pet Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Pet Dies

Dolly
Aug 25, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Back in 2008, I put this book on my to-read list, thinking that one of our cats would pass away soon. I wanted to read this book with our girls to help them understand about what the death of a pet means and that it is okay to be sad.

Almost miraculously, though, our cat survived and is still hale and hearty today. But a puppy we adopted several months ago as a companion for my mother-in-law ran in front of a car a few days ago and was killed instantly. Our household was inconsolable for a few d
Charity
Feb 25, 2014 Charity rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
After my children watched as our neighbor's dog was struck by a car and killed in the street outside our house, I turned to my old friend, the library, to help me find ways of answering their questions. When a Pet Dies was one of my favorite books from the bunch that search yielded.

This book handles the death of a pet in Fred Rogers' characteristically gentle and straightforward manner. I didn't end up reading this book to my kids because it didn't really address the questions they had after thi
Teniesha Kessler
Apr 07, 2013 Teniesha Kessler rated it it was amazing
Mister Rogers is my personal Jesus, and this little book reminded me, truly, what incredible insight he had about children's worlds. This book confronts a pet's death straightforwardly and practically, reminding children that it's OK to feel grief and that, with time, that grief will go away, though it doesn't go so far as to explain euthanasia, which I thought was appropriate.
Robert
Jul 28, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-15-season
Part of a series, dated photos but timeless content.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
This informational book was written to help families talk about the death of a pet with children. The information is factual, but still has an element of comfort and gentleness to it. In place of illustrations are actual photographs of families with their pets. The photographs are very dated but families can still relate to and see themselves in the photographs.

A recommend this book to families who have experienced the loss of a pet and who went clear information and suggestions for how to cope.
Nikki
Jan 24, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is the best children's book on pet death I've read so far. It's not a story about a specific pet, but a description of veterinarians, how pets can get sick, what death is, and how the pain of grief won't last forever. It is filled with colorful photographs.
Valerie
Oct 26, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: britt, catalog
Summary: In this useful book from the First Experience series, the affable star of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood helps children share feelings of the loss of a pet while offering reassurance that grieving is a natural, healing thing to do. A sensitive and sensible first book about death. -- The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Filled with warmth and reassurance,...When a Pet Dies assures youngsters that no matter how badly they feel when they lose a pet, in time their hurt will ease, an ...more
Evan
Mar 21, 2016 Evan rated it really liked it
I love Mr. Rogers, and 'When a Pet Dies' does a wonderful job of capturing his calm, soothing manner. Even as an adult I found comfort in his words. The closing passage is one I found to be exceptionally sweet: "Happy times and sad times are part of everyone's life. When a pet dies, we can grow to know that the love we shared is still alive in us and always will be."
Jenny
Jun 30, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Mr. Rogers always knows what to say. We knew we'd have to put our pet down since she was very sick and she'd been around for my son since he was a baby. At first I thought that I did not read a book but I bought this one at the last minute and I'm relieved I did. If I hadn't had it, I would probably have just said "She's sleeping" or "She went away" and that's not fair to kids. This book is very honest and explains what it means for dogs to die and then helps kids feel their feelings. We read it ...more
Derek Brown
Apr 17, 2014 Derek Brown rated it it was amazing
This really helped when my daughter's cat died in an accident.
Jacqueline
Jul 15, 2015 Jacqueline rated it liked it
A picture book by Mr. Rogers for young kids about pet death. Published in 1988, the photos are terribly dated, but it's still my current favorite book for addressing this issue. It honors the importance of our pets, acknowledges feelings children may have when they die, and promotes talking to loving grownups, but doesn't try to detail specifically what happens to pets after death.
Kim
Jul 17, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jt-s-books
My son’s pet fish which was also his first pet recently died. I found this book helpful. It helped to reinforce that it is okay to be sad and angry. I also liked that it encourage children to talk to their parents about their feelings. I think this book gave my young son some things to think about.
Sandra Stiles
Jul 03, 2009 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Every parent should have this book if they have pets and children. Mister Rogers takes the parents and child through the steps of grieving for a lost pet. It tells them what to expect as in emotions and gives tips on things that will make it a little easier to handle.
Christy
Sep 15, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collin
This is a good book to explain that when a pet dies, she is gone forever. This book didn't result in tears.
Kellie
May 06, 2011 Kellie rated it it was amazing
As always, pitch perfect, gentle, and totally in tune with the needs and concerns of 4-7 year olds.
Katherine
Feb 19, 2009 Katherine rated it it was amazing
old school pictures, a great message about grief (nuanced but clear, focused with great points)
Roxann
Jul 17, 2011 Roxann rated it really liked it
A great book to read with your child when a pet dies.
Anna
Mar 01, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Good for kids in the Mr. Rogers fan age set.
Kate
Good job, Mr. Rogers!
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Tahitia
Tahitia marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Colleen Briner
Colleen Briner rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Wanda Warmack
Wanda Warmack rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Patti
Patti rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Laura Ruark moore
Laura Ruark moore rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Lorri
Lorri marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • I'll Always Love You
  • The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
  • Harry & Hopper
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books (Paperback))
  • Dog Heaven
  • Badger's Parting Gifts
  • What Momma Left Me
  • Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss
  • Sun & Spoon
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death
  • Dinosaurs Divorce
  • Goodbye, Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Ever Lost a Pet
  • I Like Me!
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.
More about Fred Rogers...