Start by marking “Pin-Up Grrrls: Feminism, Sexuality, Popular Culture” as Want to Read:
Pin-Up Grrrls: Feminism, Sexuality, Popular Culture

Pin-Up Grrrls: Feminism, Sexuality, Popular Culture

Subverting stereotypical images of women, a new generation of feminist artists is remaking the pin-up, much as Annie Sprinkle, Cindy Sherman, and others did in the 1970s and 1980s. As shocking as contemporary feminist pin-ups are intended to be, perhaps more surprising is that the pin-up has been appropriated by women for their own empowerment since its inception more than ...more
Published May 31st 2006 by Duke University Press Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pin-Up Grrrls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pin-Up Grrrls

Denise
Aug 28, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: third wavers, feminists, punks, pin-up lovers, Madonna fans, contemporary art lovers
Absolutely freakin brilliant! Buszek put words to so many of my own thoughts and queries, then backs her theories with incredible research and an innovative approach.

She begins the discourse with an examination of neglected feminist figures like 19th century actresses Sarah Bernhard and Adah Isaacs Menken, immediately rooting her consideration of feminism in popular culture rather than academia. She follows this captivating course through the 20th century, into the present day with bold understa
linda
Jul 01, 2007 linda rated it it was amazing
"I hope that my choice of the popular pin-up will encourage this discourse as it relates to both activist and academic feminists, popular and privileged imagery, across not only generations but also cultures and classes."

-You have to read the first chapter: Defining/Defending the "Feminist Pin-Up" to learn what "this discourse" is. I enter the quote as I am not ready to review the book, yet super-pleased to find a reminder of what I think of as Ms Buszeks' sincerity in acting as a sort of bridg
May FLower
Aug 09, 2010 May FLower rated it it was amazing
A really great book examining female sexuality in America especially as it relates to mass and personal representation via the pin-up. If you're interested in the ways this medium has been used to both liberate and define female sexuality, then you need to read this book.
Sarahjane
Mar 21, 2011 Sarahjane rated it really liked it
Too dissertation focused at parts, but an astute and brisk history.
Michelle
Before reading Pin-Up Grrrls, I was vaguely aware of the early era of photography, silent films, and the early feminist awakening therein. And like many, I associated the word pin-up with the Barbie-proportioned male-gazed cheesecake nudies of the 1940s and beyond. But in Maria Elena Buszek's thorough history of the genre, you get to learn there is so much more! Pin-Up Grrrls shows off a wealth of female-driven and female-created images from the mid 1800s onward, starting with "cartes de visites ...more
Jodi
Although published by a University press, I admit that I was hoping that the author would have a little more fun with her subject--after all, we are talking about pin-ups! Buszek traces the history of the pin-up from the Gibson Girl to today--and includes some great pictures--but I was rather disappointed in the overly dry and academic tone of this book.

Mary
Nov 01, 2010 Mary added it
I might have to try again on this one. It was fascinating, but definitely a 'textbook' read. I don't always have patience for that type of writing. I'll try again. There were pictures, so that's a bonus in the textbook format! I'm a simpleton, what can I say? It's not her, it's me.

Apr 21, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Buszek does a good job of weaving the origins and development of the pin-up with the history of feminism, despite the enormity of the task. For the most parts the aspects that get less notice make me interested in finding out more rather than blaming Buszek for a lack.
Jill
Advocata Diavoli
Jan 01, 2009 Advocata Diavoli is currently reading it
but of course!
Daphne Smith
Daphne Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2013
Susan E. Schmidt
Susan E. Schmidt rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Stephanie Jacobson
Stephanie Jacobson rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Izabela Owczorz
Izabela Owczorz rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Marcio Alves
Marcio Alves rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Kimberly Dugan
Kimberly Dugan rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Tisha R-t
Tisha R-t rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Amalauna Brock
Amalauna Brock rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Sava Hecht
Sava Hecht rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2008
Graceface
Graceface rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Emkimo
Emkimo rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Librarian Laura
Librarian Laura rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Liz!
Liz! rated it really liked it
May 14, 2008
Sarina
Sarina rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Sarah Osier
Sarah Osier rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution
  • The Woman in the Body: A Cultural Analysis of Reproduction
  • The Great American Pin-Up
  • The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria," the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction
  • When Abortion Was a Crime: Women, Medicine, and Law in the United States, 1867-1973
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
  • Our Bodies, Our Crimes: The Policing of Women's Reproduction in America
  • Sex and Suits
  • The World Split Open: How the Modern Women's Movement Changed America
  • The Secret Feminist Cabal: A Cultural History of Science Fiction Feminisms
  • Feminism in Our Time: The Essential Writings, World War II to the Present
  • Hope in a Jar: The Making of America's Beauty Culture
  • Slut!: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation
Maria Elena Buszek is a critic, curator, and Associate Professor of Art History at the University of Colorado, Denver. She is the author of the book Pin-Up Grrrls: Feminism, Sexuality, Popular Culture, also published by Duke University Press. She has written for magazines and journals including BUST, Art in America, Photography Quarterly, and TDR: The Journal of Performance Studies.
More about Maria Elena Buszek...