Start by marking “The New American Story” as Want to Read:
The New American Story

The New American Story

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“Politics is stuck,” writes Bill Bradley, in this insightful, informative, and provocative book about America at a crossroads, but “idealism isn’t dead. It can be reawakened.”

What will it take to make America a better, stronger, truer country? asks the bestselling author, former Knicks star, and onetime presidential candidate. Bill Bradley believes that America is at a tea
Published March 27th 2007 by Random House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New American Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New American Story

Timothy
Sep 12, 2007 Timothy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in the future of our country
A wonderfully non-partisan analysis of where our country has been and what needs to be done to get it on the right track for the future. Without any political agenda, Bradley focuses on what people on both sides of the aisle need to do to help our country regain a firm financial base as well as the respect of our neighbors around the world.
Steven Peterson
Bill Bradley's earnestness has always been appealing. This book is another expression of his earnest concern about the United States. He begins by noting that (page xiii): "I call this book `The New American Story' because I believe we've been told a story about American that simply isn't true. . .It's a story of no possibility--of too few resources and no political will; of fear and lack of compassion; of individual consumerist values at home and `America only' policies abroad."

He begins by wr
Ray
I liked Bradley, and think he's astute, intelligent, and dedicated to improvements in American society. He presents many good and reasoned ideas to accomplish his vision, although I found many others overly hopeful and idealized vs. practical and readily achievable. And just as his speeches and public appearances failed to captivate the public during his failed bid for the presidential nomination in 2000, his writing isn't all that exciting either, and I found my mind drifting at times. Also, wh ...more
Gordon
Well, I don't agree with Bill on all his policy proposals, but I can agree with his intentions. He does a good job of defining the old story, what we've been told by the Bush Administration, and what we can be doing, the new story. His arguments are logical, assuming you respect his desired results. I would say that I'm fairly liberal, but I find that some of his policy proposals conflict too much with my sense of personal interest and the American people.

After finishing, I was very impressed wi
Chris
Bill Bradley is one of those politicians that brings all the right skills and mentality to politics but lacks the magazine cover appeal and media celebrity that seems to be a requirement to run for high office today. While the book falls a bit short in details around how Bradley's policies could come to fruition it does capture a vision that many Americans could easily get behind. The book is a compelling read and will get you thinking about how to get involved in your own community.
Carole Wedl
What an insightful, level headed person he is. I'm sorry he has dropped out the public's view and wonder what he is doing now. With new leadership in DC, this book will not seem so unusually reasonable today, but it was a breath of hopeful air when I read it a couple of years ago. I hope he reappears as an advisor or commentator or something.
Kim
If only this book had been more widely read prior to the finacial troubles we are currently experiencing. Bradley outlines a number of things that we as a nation should be looking to do to help achieve our New American Story. Progressives and conservatives alike will find something in this book.
Jim  Hassett
After the first 100 pages, this book is in the long list of "Bush-bashing" books by Democratic Party hopefuls. I'll give it another 100 pages to see if anything reasonable and creative is offered. Bradley is an intelligent man but I'm disappointed so far.
Peter
Another great book that I had the privilege of having Bill Bradley coming to my school and speaking about the American values of today. Great read, got his autograph that i brag a lot about today hahahahaha.
Larry Berthold
decent overview of where we stand as a country in reference to the ideals of a democracy in action and a plan towards the future...well worth a read.
Mary
Oct 11, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: citizens who want to solve problems
A hopeful and thinking book. Practical answers to our HUGE problems in the US and reasons why no one is acting. I felt empowered by this book.
Vince Carter
Inciteful analysis on why our political system is impeding our government from accomplishing anything needed and ideas for changing that.
Heather
I <3 Bill Bradley! Way to articulate a progressive, productive view of the potential of American society!
Kirk Bower
Maybe I expected more, but I felt it came up short. Didn't follow through with some thoughts, etc.
Scott
Political, sensible, but not enough action recommendations.
Martin Kalfatovic
Martin Kalfatovic marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Carol B
Carol B marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
David Traver Adolphus
David Traver Adolphus marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
David Lockwood
David Lockwood marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Joel
Joel added it
Jan 05, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Moshe
Moshe added it
Sep 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Life on the Run We Can All Do Better Values of the Game Time Present, Time Past: A Memoir The Journey from Here