Shadow Kingdoms, The Weird Works of R. E. Howard Vol. 1 (The Weird Works of R. E. Howard)

Shadow Kingdoms, The Weird Works of R. E. Howard Vol. 1 (The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Although best known for his sword and sorcery tales of Conan the Cimmerian, he is also acclaimed for other equally notable characters.
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2007 by Audio Realms (first published 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Kingdoms, The Weird Works of R. E. Howard Vol. 1

Rick
Howard is the master of the pulp tale. This volume had a few stories I have not read before, including the great Skull-Face. Also has a few good Kull stories, though he is my least-favorite REH character. And it also had some nice Soloman Kane stories too, who sometimes challenges Conan in my mind for the best REH character.
The only disappointment for me was the first story in the volume, "The Lost Race," which I thought was a weaker Howard story. That, and I cannot say I am a huge fan of poetry...more
Trebro
Date read is a guess. Once I realized that I liked Howard, I managed to see this on the library shelves. Holy archival material, Batman! This is the first in a planned 10-volume set of all the stories the great Howard had published in Weird Tales. Here we get the first Kull story, the first Solomon Kane story, and other tales that show Howard's growth as a writer.

Of all his creations, I think Kane may have been one of the best, perhaps even better than Conan. Howard creates a man who contradicts...more
Lou Gall Jr.
Sep 27, 2007 Lou Gall Jr. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fantasy/weird fiction fan
Alright! The first volume in a series that presents Howards fantasy and weird fiction in the order that the stories were published and in the original un-altered form. No de Camp/Carter/Nyborg revisions here, 100% pure Howard. Also included (and my first chance to read many of them) is Howards poetry in the same vein. Having grown up with Conan & REH's fiction in general and never having stopped enjoying them, this is a special treat. Even the very early stories, while somewhat clumsy and pu...more
Virag
This was a book my brother got for Christmas years ago and has been obsessed with ever since. While I do love the boy I tend to avoid anything he touches....
But anyway, while I was in Hungary for three weeks, well, I wanted to read something in English dang it, so this was my only choice.
Suprisingly, I loved some of these stories.

The Lost Race, The Kane Cronicles, The Dream Snake, The Hyena, Skulls in the Stars, Crete , and several others were an excellent 5/5 stars. However, there were about th...more
Roland Volz
Jul 19, 2011 Roland Volz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sword & Sorcery fans
Shelves: fantasy, poetry, pulp
Shadow Kingdoms is the first volume in a series dedicated to collecting all the published material of Robert E. Howard, one of the greatest pulp authors of all time. This book collects the first short stories and poems of his career, collected in unedited form.

It is interesting to use these stories to chart Howard's development as a writer. After several generic Pulp stories, he developed the character of Solomon Kane, three stories of which can be found in this collection. He also makes the fir...more
Tom Fredricks
Read this because I enjoyed the Conan stories of Howard so much. The stories in this collection did no disappoint. There are a number of horror stories in here. They remind me of the old school radio horror and are well executed. Locations are exotic and the action, as always with Howard, moves at a fast pace.

There are also some Howard poems in here. They read a little like heavy metal lyrics, but I rather enjoyed them.

Good sampling of Howard's non Conan stories. I would warn that there is a bit...more
Walter Mcwilliams
The first of a ten volume set that collects all of Howard's writings for Weird Tales in chronological order, in the original magazine text. Highlights of this volume include his first Solomon Kane and Kull stories, as well as several of his poems including two of my all time favorites "The Harp of Alfred" and "The Moor Ghost". An excellent read and two more volumes are on the way!!
Wes
Robert E. Howard is my favorite author of all time. This collection of his early short fiction and poetry was perhaps the most inspirational book I've ever read. Howard wrote for practically all of his very short life and had such a flair for language. Never have the most violent, gruesome and weird ideas been communicated with such beauty and finesse. My favorite selections from this collection are: "The Dream Snake", "The Hyena", "Sea Curse", "Red Shadows", "The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune", and "R...more
Rosa Sophia
This book is the first of a ten volume set. All of Howard’s stories that were originally published in pulp magazines have been restored and re-published in the order in which they were printed. This book (and the collection in general) are great for long-time fans as well as new fans. The book includes well known stories as well as lesser known tales, and introduces some of Howard’s most memorable characters, such as King Kull and Solomon Kane. The book also includes Howard’s poetry.
Kevin welter
Again Robert E Howard was the first euro american pulp dark fantasy writer perhaps the father of such types of tales. Death's poet can make you not wanna stop till your done with the story.
Newt cox
About halfway thru,haven't read it in months now. Collection of Howards stuff from weird tales. In chronological order.Soloman Kane stories have been the standouts.
Scott Miller
Several very good stories, including early Solomon Kane and Kull the Conquerer. Also contains some rather average poetry.
Jon
Feb 02, 2009 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conan fans
"Teh Sahdow Kingdom" -A Kull short story
Franny
Franny marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Joel Babbitt
Joel Babbitt marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Brian Boling
Brian Boling marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Kai
Kai marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Claymon
Claymon marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p...more
More about Robert E. Howard...
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane