Start by marking “Unholy Fire: A Novel of the Civil War” as Want to Read:
Unholy Fire: A Novel of the Civil War

Unholy Fire: A Novel of the Civil War

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
John “Kit” McKittredge is a young Federal officer from Maine who is terribly wounded in one of the first battles of the Civil War. Still unfit for active duty after nine months in hospital, he is recruited by an unorthodox colonel named Valentine Burdette to work in the Provost Marshal General’s office in Washington.

The beleaguered Capital, now swollen to seven times its
Published August 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Unholy Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unholy Fire

Sharla
May 06, 2014 Sharla rated it liked it
This book kept me reading even though it was nightmarishly graphic and often unrealistic. Overall I think the historical aspects have been portrayed accurately. Joseph Hooker, especially, is portrayed realistically. Personally, I don't think Lincoln made "mistakes" in appointing generals. I think he simply didn't have good options early on. Kit's superhuman feats are too much. Maybe the most unbelievable thing for me was that Kit at twenty-one and during war time could have still been a virgin. ...more
Stef
Sep 13, 2012 Stef rated it really liked it
I am not usually a mystery book reader, but I was recommended this book and I love history I thought I would give it a read. Right off the bat I have to say that I really liked the style that this book was written in. It doesn't start out like a detective story, and it never really feels too much like a hard boiled mystery. The mystery plays a part in creating the atmosphere of a historical fiction set during the Civil War. Our narrator, Kit, has played his part in the early battles but has ende ...more
Jean
Oct 03, 2015 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who likes historical fiction
(Audible; Patrick G. Lawlor, narrator) This is excellent historical fiction about the narrator's experiences in the Union Army during the Civil War, a war I generally avoid reading about unless Abraham Lincoln figures large. The background fabric is Lincoln's inability to find a decent general to lead the Army of the Potomac. The narrator, Kit, badly injured in a battle, becomes an opium addict, and this addiction--feeding it and treating it--is one of the plots. He becomes an investigator in th ...more
Miriam Krainacker
Apr 23, 2015 Miriam Krainacker rated it liked it
Meh.

Just - meh.
Marissa
Jan 11, 2016 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-2015, college
I loved it! It was fast paced, lots of actions, there was some crime solving. The characters! Val, Hathaway, Hooker, Amelie I loved them all, they were all interesting! I thought I wouldn't enjoy this since it's a civil war book, but I enjoyed it. The parts when Kit had to go through physical ordeals, I liked the description it felt like I was there and seeing it happen. I loved the epilogue!
Wendy
THe audio version of this book was excellent. I kept listening non-stop. What a great way to learn history. The story of corruption during the Civil War was fascinating. Sadly, little has changed.
Luckngrace
May 27, 2010 Luckngrace rated it really liked it
Another great Civil War story, examines Yankee soldiering, dangers presented from friendly troops as it applies to Yankee racism, war profiteering, prostitution. Well worth your time.
Pedro
Dec 08, 2015 Pedro rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
This novel should be regarded with the highest praise and honors from a elementary school writing competion. The characters and situations are "novel-y" and unbelievable. Skip it.
Sue
Apr 12, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
Civil war fiction is probably my favorite genre. I have met this author; he's married to a friend of mine. Also wrote "Stonewall's Gold."
AJ
Mar 09, 2016 AJ rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book very much. It had a good plot but I just dont like mystery books. I would not rate this book very high.
Monica
Feb 27, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it
Recommended to Monica by: Book Addicts Anonymous
If you don't mind frequent trips to the dictionary, this is a great read!
Barb Radmore
Interesting look at the Civil War meshed with a detectitve story
Annabel
Annabel marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Carolee
Carolee rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
James Parks
James Parks rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Stephanie J. Smith
Stephanie J. Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Matt Watros
Matt Watros rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Wendy C
Wendy C rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Kyle Van
Kyle Van rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 16, 2015
Brooks Hall
Brooks Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Robert Enzenauer
Robert Enzenauer rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Erin T
Erin T marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Dallas McGee
Dallas McGee is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2015
Johandra
Johandra rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Jan Mrazek was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing the 3rd Congressonal District on Long Island for most of the 1980s.

He born in Newport, Rhode Island, but grew up in Huntington, New York. He graduated from Cornell University in 1967. In 1968, he entered the United States Navy and served in the Vietnam War. However, he was discharged following a t
More about Robert J. Mrazek...