D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl

D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  768 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Did you know that Roald Dahl loved chocolate, but never ate spaghetti? Or that he was a terrible speller? Or that he had four sisters? D is for Dahl is an A to Z collection of facts, trivia, and zany details that bring Roald Dahl and his memorable characters to life.

Filled with Quentin Blake's illustrations plus black and white photos, each spread is exploding with inform...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Viking Juvenile (first published October 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about D is for Dahl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D is for Dahl

Bunny
May 01, 2009 Bunny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every lover of Dahl's work, even just one book/movie
Recommended to Bunny by: Darla Pruitt
Shelves: read-in-09, gift, owned
You know, I was eight when Roald Dahl died. I was old enough to meet him and know him. That's the only thing that could dampen my utter love and amusement while reading this book.

I could almost believe that this was written by him before his death. Maybe it's just Quentin Blake's illustrations thrown in for good measure. The facts and tidbits about him that are in this are just incredibly fun.

Yellow is a horrible color, I don't know why it's his favorite. Kit Kat Pudding is something I will be...more
meg
Oct 25, 2007 meg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of roald dahl, fans of cute and quirky things
cutest biography ever. so many interesting tidbits about dahl and his books, arranged in alphabetical entries. it even includes recipes of funny, yummy foods he used to make. like hothouse eggs (cut a hole in a piece of bread, fry it in butter on both sides, then crack an egg in the whole and let it run all over the bread as it fries...mmmm), which we made today. it also made me really want to visit the roald dahl museum and gallery. so neat.
Claire
This is pretty adorable, and I learned some fun things about Dahl. Things like after dinner he'd offer each guest a box of his favorite candy bars. Also if you visit his grave you'll find footseteps of the Big Friendly Giant leading up to it. The way all the bits are laid out A - Z is pretty perfect - although I kinda think Dahl would have done without all the "Don't try this at home" warnings.
Alicea
D is for Dahl is one of those fantastically quick and fun reads that I think every parent should read with their child (or in my case the adult with the heart of a child). This book is especially fun for those fans of the writer who may not know much about the man himself. He was such a unique, kind individual and that spirit shone through in his writings for both children and adults. To learn about the eccentricities of his private life is to have your estimation of the character of Dahl increa...more
Jan Rue
May 19, 2013 Jan Rue added it
Shelves: ed-689-books
This is a wonderful ABC book written about the life and times of author Roald Dahl. It was written in 2004 but I just had to include it on my list. Roald Dahl Nominee Ltd. by Penguin Group: New York. Illustrated by Quentin Blake. I love how it tells about his childhood and shows photos of him. There is copies of hand written pages from Dahl. And it tells about his family life, how & where he would write. And it gives a little insight aobut his style of writing. As a teacher , I can glean a l...more
Farah
F is for Farah
*kemudian ditiban sama peach raksasanya James*

Mengikuti saran dari dosen gue dahulu, buku rujukan tidak perlu dibaca dari halaman pertama hingga halaman terakhir.

Buku ini disusun berdasarkan abjad, jadi gue pikir, oh anggep aja kamus.. Eh bukan, entri ensiklopedia. Eh.. ini biografi deng.. *pustakawan yang kelamaan jadi guru, mulai ngga bisa memutuskan jenis buku rujukan apa kah D is for Dahl ini..*

Ada banyak hal menarik yang gue temukan di buku ini:
1) Resep Olivanas
2) Resep Cream...more
Ismael Galvan
A very fun book to read.
Gerry
A most fascinating insight into the world of Roald Dahl, full of facts and information about his likes, dislikes, his writing habits and his family.

Nicely set out in alphabetical order makes it easy to browse at any time, after the read is finished. And it is the sort of book that one will continually go back to in order to be reminded of some of Roald Dahl's talents or idiosyncracies.

Quentin Blake provides the illustrations which most definitely is, in the word in the sub-title, gloriumptious!
anna lete'
Oct 11, 2007 anna lete' rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people of all ages
Shelves: roaldahl
I got this book last Christmas. That is, December 18 2006. Actually, I kinda forced my friend JM to buy it for me. Well, he asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted this book. It costs like... a lot!

So, this book is all about Roald Dahl. It's not about his life. It's like a dictionary about him. It's really great. I like it 'cause I'm a Roald Dahl fan. It's just jam packed with all sorts of facts and fun things about Roald Dahl. It's great if you're one of his loyal fans. :D
Madison
Roald Dahl has been one of my favorite children's author for a long time. I loved all the fascinating facts I discovered about him in this book. Did you know that he wrote a James Bond movie and helped come up with the villans in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? I didn't. This book is full of fun facts that make you want to go back and read all of his books. I highly recommend this for children and adults. (A lot more fun than reading Boy in my opinion.)
MaGgIe :) $$$$$
Have you ever read any boks from Roald Dahl? Did you ever think that there is meanings to his books? His books all express him and this book is all about him. I think it is pretty fasinating to learn about one of my favorite authors. "D Is For Dahl" goes deeper in Roald Dahl's life and some of his really random facts. Dahl is definetly in my top five favorite authors! He rocks! B2
Kathy
I hadn't looked very carefully at the description of this book and had thought it was a traditional biography, which it certainly isn't, though it does contain a number of snippets from Dahl's life. It's more a celebration of his work, aimed at *young* fan's of his children's books. Though I found it rather fun and sometimes amusing,I think its target audience would enjoy it more.
e.c.h.a
Senang rasanya membaca buku ini, mengenal lebih dekat dengan sosok Roald Dahl. Bagaimana kehidupan masa kecilnya, proses kreatinya. Kisah-kisah yang ditulis oleh Roald Dahl sangat dekat dengan kesehariannya.

Tidak akan kebayang kalau Roald Dahl tidak pernah ada, tidak ada Matilda, tidak ada James, tidak ada Charlie Bucket.

Terima kasih banyak Opa Roald Dahl.
Tessa
Everything that you need to know about the famous Roald Dahl, I even found out his daughter and I have the same name, which I never knew until I read this book. "An A-Z Guide to the world of Dahl", perfect title for this book, as it mentions things in his life beginning with every letter of the alphabet. Enjoyed it, and anyone who is a Dahl fan will aswell.
Allison
This was a fun and interesting read. It is an A to Z guide to Roald Dahl's life, covering everything from family to childhood to books to random facts. Thinking like a teacher, this would be great for students to mimic the style of to write about themselves, or to do a nontraditional report on someone, or a profile of a favorite book character.
Cam
I love learning more about the authors who's works I adore. This simply written book revealed so much about Roald Dahl in the style that he would have wanted. Funny, silly, interesting and meaningful. So much of what mattered to me from his books, mean more now that I understand some of the history behind those stories.
jamie
this seemed like an absolutely perfect way to give you great tidbits of information about dahl's life. i wish i had read it before i went to the museum in great missenden - i would have appreciated it more! and i would have left an onion on dahl's grave! this was such a lovely little book.
Harun Harahap
Gue cinta mati banget dah sama Roald Dahl. Setelah baca buku ini, gue jadi tahu lebih banyak tentang dirinya. Gue mau beli buku Going Solo ah.. Dan suatu saat nanti, gue akan mengunjungi Museum Roald Dahl..
Elizabeth
This man is a genius. Not only did he write amazing books for kids & adults, he also invented various things that are still in use today. I recommend reading all of his books that you can find!
Andrew
Sometimes I fear that these amazing authors may be incredibly dull people. This is clearly not the case for Roald Dahl. This book is a really fun way to learn about Roald Dahl's life.
Agatha Andari
Roald Dahl must be a really great man, with a joyous life, and a big-big-big heart, and an insane imagination he deserves own printed reference material like this.

I heart you, Mr. Dahl.
JSou
I found this hardcover edition at the 99 cent store, so I of course had to grab it.

Biography type book with facts about Dahl...in alphabetical order, of course! :)
Far From Dark
I didn't read any Roald Dahls books before , therefore I chose this book as a start ..
And believe me this book is absolutely stunning !
Weinz
A is for absurd, B is for beloved, C is for clever and D is for divine. Dahl endeared himself to my heart forever more after this.
Amira
Lovely! I got to know different aspects and funny facts about one of my most favourite authors as a child - and grown up!
Lisa
A quirky biography format for a quirky guy! So much fun and for Roald Dahl fans, this is a must. A quick read.
A fun way to look at the life of Roald Dahl. Tells a lot more detail than a traditional biography.
Biography
Silia siaki
roahl gahl is one of my favourite athour and i now have read all is series it is another great!!!!!!
Erin
Cute. Lots of interesting facts. Made me want to visit Dahl's house and the children's museum.
Kristin
Scrumdidliumptious. I would love to go to the Roald Dahl children's museums someday.
  • Vile Verses
  • Roald Dahl's Even More Revolting Recipes
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • Storyteller: The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl
  • The Girl Who Spun Gold
  • Sokola Rimba: Pengalaman Belajar Bersama Orang Rimba
  • Tan Malaka: Bapak Republik Yang Dilupakan
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • Totto-chan's Children: A Goodwill Journey to the Children of the World  (Anak-Anak Totto-chan: Perjalanan Kemanusiaan untuk Anak-Anak Dunia)
  • Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!
  • Saga no Gabai Bachan (Nenek Hebat dari Saga)
Centuries of Stories Ten of the Best All the Wild Wonders: Poems of Our Earth Mirrors Sparkling New Stories from Prize-winning Authors A Is Amazing: Poems About Feelings