Start by marking “D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl” as Want to Read:
D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl

D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,065 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Did you know that Roald Dahl loved chocolate, but never ate spaghetti? Or that he was a terrible speller? Or that he had four sisters? D is for Dahl is an A to Z collection of facts, trivia, and zany details that bring Roald Dahl and his memorable characters to life.

Filled with Quentin Blake's illustrations plus black and white photos, each spread is exploding with inform
Published June 2nd 2005 by Viking Juvenile (first published October 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about D is for Dahl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D is for Dahl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlTales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny by Phillip DoneWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char Love
So you want to be a teacher?
46th out of 58 books — 7 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlMatilda by Roald DahlThe BFG by Roald DahlThe Twits by Roald DahlJames and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
All About Roald Dahl
57th out of 127 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Bunny
May 01, 2009 Bunny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every lover of Dahl's work, even just one book/movie
Recommended to Bunny by: Darla Pruitt
Shelves: owned, read-in-09, gift
You know, I was eight when Roald Dahl died. I was old enough to meet him and know him. That's the only thing that could dampen my utter love and amusement while reading this book.

I could almost believe that this was written by him before his death. Maybe it's just Quentin Blake's illustrations thrown in for good measure. The facts and tidbits about him that are in this are just incredibly fun.

Yellow is a horrible color, I don't know why it's his favorite. Kit Kat Pudding is something I will be
Luann
Oct 29, 2015 Luann rated it really liked it
I learned so many interesting facts about Roald Dahl! I would have thought I would have known most of them from reading both of his autobiographies, but that was a long time ago. This is a great book for all Roald Dahl fans.

In honor of the A-Z random fact format, here is a random collection of a few of the facts I learned:

* Roald Dahl was interested in art and would often buy paintings, even when he couldn't afford them. When he ran out of money, he would sell them. Once he made it as an author,
meg
Oct 25, 2007 meg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of roald dahl, fans of cute and quirky things
cutest biography ever. so many interesting tidbits about dahl and his books, arranged in alphabetical entries. it even includes recipes of funny, yummy foods he used to make. like hothouse eggs (cut a hole in a piece of bread, fry it in butter on both sides, then crack an egg in the whole and let it run all over the bread as it fries...mmmm), which we made today. it also made me really want to visit the roald dahl museum and gallery. so neat.
Claire
Jan 11, 2009 Claire rated it really liked it
This is pretty adorable, and I learned some fun things about Dahl. Things like after dinner he'd offer each guest a box of his favorite candy bars. Also if you visit his grave you'll find footseteps of the Big Friendly Giant leading up to it. The way all the bits are laid out A - Z is pretty perfect - although I kinda think Dahl would have done without all the "Don't try this at home" warnings.
Alicea
May 21, 2014 Alicea rated it it was amazing
D is for Dahl is one of those fantastically quick and fun reads that I think every parent should read with their child (or in my case the adult with the heart of a child). This book is especially fun for those fans of the writer who may not know much about the man himself. He was such a unique, kind individual and that spirit shone through in his writings for both children and adults. To learn about the eccentricities of his private life is to have your estimation of the character of Dahl increa ...more
Krysta
Mar 06, 2015 Krysta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken
Oct 11, 2015 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read any other Dahl -anything since that quirky short story about the housewife who murders her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and subsequently thaws, cooks and feeds the murder weapon to the investigating detectives.....This was in a text book when I taught high school English in the late 1960's.Reminiscing about our teaching days, an old friend reminded me of the tale and so I ordered SKIN AND OTHER STORIES on line from Amazon. I ran across D IS FOR DAHL in a Kids' book display at ...more
Jan Rue
May 19, 2013 Jan Rue added it
Shelves: ed-689-books
This is a wonderful ABC book written about the life and times of author Roald Dahl. It was written in 2004 but I just had to include it on my list. Roald Dahl Nominee Ltd. by Penguin Group: New York. Illustrated by Quentin Blake. I love how it tells about his childhood and shows photos of him. There is copies of hand written pages from Dahl. And it tells about his family life, how & where he would write. And it gives a little insight aobut his style of writing. As a teacher , I can glean a l ...more
Farah
Dec 04, 2012 Farah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
F is for Farah
*kemudian ditiban sama peach raksasanya James*

Mengikuti saran dari dosen gue dahulu, buku rujukan tidak perlu dibaca dari halaman pertama hingga halaman terakhir.

Buku ini disusun berdasarkan abjad, jadi gue pikir, oh anggep aja kamus.. Eh bukan, entri ensiklopedia. Eh.. ini biografi deng.. *pustakawan yang kelamaan jadi guru, mulai ngga bisa memutuskan jenis buku rujukan apa kah D is for Dahl ini..*

Ada banyak hal menarik yang gue temukan di buku ini:
1) Resep Olivanas
2) Resep Cream
Stephanie
Aug 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book- I think I had a smile on my face the whole time. It is not written by Dahl, but captures his spirit. A great book for all the Dahl fans out there! Full of fun facts, trivia and interesting things.
Allan  Waterhouse
Some fun stuff. For "diehard" Dahl readers.

A fun way to learn about his private life as well as his personal likes and dislikes. Cute. For youngsters.
Slow Man
Jun 18, 2016 Slow Man rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Roald Dahl was a tall man, over 2 meter tall.
I read all his children books
And I am going to read some more.
I also read his books for adults
And among them, 'My Uncle Oswald'
Is my favorite, no doubt.
Katey Lovell
Mar 02, 2016 Katey Lovell rated it really liked it
Read this with Zachary as he loves Dahl. Fun facts and a good measure of crazy, which was exactly what we wanted. Quentin Blake illustrations are perfect.
Wilhemina
Sep 16, 2016 Wilhemina rated it it was amazing
Had a blast reading this book. Learnt a great deal about Roald Dahl and could appreciate why his books were and still are so popular with children and adults alike!
Kari
Aug 03, 2016 Kari rated it it was amazing
Our Book Club did "choose your own biography". Dahl's books are the staple of my read-alouds and wanted to learn more about the man behind the incredible stories. He co-wrote Chitty Bang Bang and a James Bond film with Ian Fleming, who knew. Loves chocolate hates cats...was 6ft 6...and on and on..
Marina Schulz
Nov 19, 2015 Marina Schulz rated it it was amazing
"D is for Dahl" is, without a doubt, the best and most amusing biography I've ever read!

Appearing as a series of whimsical facts and funnies about the classic author, it read as if it had really been written by the beloved Roald Dahl. I learnt a few tidbits too, not only about the author; but mainly I loved how it was laugh out loud funny.

I read this as a young girl, and it was acessible to all ages. I can genuinely recommend this to all ages, be they younger and just discovering Roald, or older
Susan Lee
May 01, 2016 Susan Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly enjoyed knowing Dahl in such an interesting fact filled book! Apparently not a biography but just an amazing book with silly, funny yet all true facts! He's a big generous giant to me

You can read my full review here:
Ashley
Oct 29, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Love all the tidbits of information about Dahl in here. Fantastically Fun.
Ismael Galvan
Mar 10, 2014 Ismael Galvan rated it it was amazing
A very fun book to read.
Gerry
Jun 13, 2010 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most fascinating insight into the world of Roald Dahl, full of facts and information about his likes, dislikes, his writing habits and his family.

Nicely set out in alphabetical order makes it easy to browse at any time, after the read is finished. And it is the sort of book that one will continually go back to in order to be reminded of some of Roald Dahl's talents or idiosyncracies.

Quentin Blake provides the illustrations which most definitely is, in the word in the sub-title, gloriumptious!
anna lete'
Oct 11, 2007 anna lete' rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people of all ages
Shelves: roaldahl
I got this book last Christmas. That is, December 18 2006. Actually, I kinda forced my friend JM to buy it for me. Well, he asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted this book. It costs like... a lot!

So, this book is all about Roald Dahl. It's not about his life. It's like a dictionary about him. It's really great. I like it 'cause I'm a Roald Dahl fan. It's just jam packed with all sorts of facts and fun things about Roald Dahl. It's great if you're one of his loyal fans. :D
Madison
Jun 06, 2013 Madison rated it it was amazing
Roald Dahl has been one of my favorite children's author for a long time. I loved all the fascinating facts I discovered about him in this book. Did you know that he wrote a James Bond movie and helped come up with the villans in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? I didn't. This book is full of fun facts that make you want to go back and read all of his books. I highly recommend this for children and adults. (A lot more fun than reading Boy in my opinion.)
MaGgIe :) $$$$$
Have you ever read any boks from Roald Dahl? Did you ever think that there is meanings to his books? His books all express him and this book is all about him. I think it is pretty fasinating to learn about one of my favorite authors. "D Is For Dahl" goes deeper in Roald Dahl's life and some of his really random facts. Dahl is definetly in my top five favorite authors! He rocks! B2
Kathy
Oct 19, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
I hadn't looked very carefully at the description of this book and had thought it was a traditional biography, which it certainly isn't, though it does contain a number of snippets from Dahl's life. It's more a celebration of his work, aimed at *young* fan's of his children's books. Though I found it rather fun and sometimes amusing,I think its target audience would enjoy it more.
e.c.h.a
Senang rasanya membaca buku ini, mengenal lebih dekat dengan sosok Roald Dahl. Bagaimana kehidupan masa kecilnya, proses kreatinya. Kisah-kisah yang ditulis oleh Roald Dahl sangat dekat dengan kesehariannya.

Tidak akan kebayang kalau Roald Dahl tidak pernah ada, tidak ada Matilda, tidak ada James, tidak ada Charlie Bucket.

Terima kasih banyak Opa Roald Dahl.
Tessa
May 25, 2013 Tessa rated it it was ok
Everything that you need to know about the famous Roald Dahl, I even found out his daughter and I have the same name, which I never knew until I read this book. "An A-Z Guide to the world of Dahl", perfect title for this book, as it mentions things in his life beginning with every letter of the alphabet. Enjoyed it, and anyone who is a Dahl fan will aswell.
Allison
Mar 23, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it
This was a fun and interesting read. It is an A to Z guide to Roald Dahl's life, covering everything from family to childhood to books to random facts. Thinking like a teacher, this would be great for students to mimic the style of to write about themselves, or to do a nontraditional report on someone, or a profile of a favorite book character.
Cam
Mar 31, 2014 Cam rated it it was amazing
I love learning more about the authors who's works I adore. This simply written book revealed so much about Roald Dahl in the style that he would have wanted. Funny, silly, interesting and meaningful. So much of what mattered to me from his books, mean more now that I understand some of the history behind those stories.
Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh
Clever, enlightening and a great starting point on the biographical side of Roald Dahl, the tall Norwegian with a funky nose and serious chocolate addiction. Discovered a few gems regarding his past, his writing and his family that are all part and parcel to his characters, which was interesting for this R.D. fan.
  • Vile Verses
  • Storyteller: The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl
  • Roald Dahl's Even More Revolting Recipes
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)
  • Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!
  • The Western Lit Survival Kit: An Irreverent Guide to the Classics, from Homer to Faulkner
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Young Readers Edition
  • Walt Whitman: Words for America
  • A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries
  • Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books