Start by marking “Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church” as Want to Read:
Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church

Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
ReJesus asks the following questions: What ongoing role does Jesus the Messiah play in shaping the ethos and self understanding of the movement that originated in him? ???????????????????????? How is the Christian religion informed and shaped by the Jesus that we meet in the Gospels? ???????????????????????? How do we assess the continuity required between the life and exa ...more
Published by Hendrickson Publishers (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rejesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rejesus

Cori
Nov 22, 2010 Cori rated it really liked it
ReJesus helped put words to the feeling I get when I walk into many mainstream contemporary Christian churches: “I wonder what Jesus would think of this?” (I wrote a while back about feeling the same way about the 700 Club). Here is what I mean.

A few months ago, the BF and I went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at a local church. I knew about this church (it’s enormous), but I’d never actually been. The BF has attended the church before, and said it felt like being at a church informercial. I quickl
Justin
Jul 03, 2013 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what to expect. This book took me a long time to go through because of the content and the time it took to digest. It is one of the best books I've read this year and probably most influential. I recommend it to anyone!
Gibby
Dec 25, 2012 Gibby rated it it was amazing
To me this is the best book Hirsch & Frost have written together apart from "Shaping". I believe every church "leader" should read this book and re-engage the Jesus of the Scriptures. Until then, he/she should not teach about Jesus.
Stephanie Yoon
Mar 02, 2011 Stephanie Yoon rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for those frustrated with modern "Christianity" and anyone who seeks to get back to the simplicity of Jesus.
Roger Sigmon
Jan 12, 2016 Roger Sigmon rated it it was amazing
Great reminder not to water down the story of the Real Jesus and his missional and radical life.
Dave
Apr 24, 2009 Dave rated it liked it
Compelling look at following Jesus rather than getting caught up in lifeless religion.
David Mullens
May 10, 2010 David Mullens rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Stressed the life of Jesus as the model of faith.
Mike
Aug 11, 2011 Mike added it
Excellent. Don't read it too fast like i did.
Jim
Jun 01, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
i've just read the first forty pages, the authors are a bit dismissive of conservative Christians.

the people that recommend it are apparently doing so out of friendship, a usual thing for blurbs but i wish "Christian" authors would be different. one of the raves is from someone the book is dedicated to. haven't looked through the book enough to know if other blub writers are mentioned in the text.

i enjoyed much of this book, frustrated by some, my copy is now scrawled thruout w/my thoughts.

(wis
Jeff
May 23, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it
An excellent articulation of the need to recenter both disciple-making and ecclesiology/missiology upon the person and teaching of Jesus.
Brook Maturo
Mar 13, 2015 Brook Maturo rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-growth
In typical fashion Hirsch and Frost put complex and challenging spiritual truths into concise and beautiful writing. Excellent remind to keep life, individual and corporate, centered on Jesus.
Bobby
Jun 29, 2009 Bobby rated it really liked it
If you've read any books in the realm of "emergent" or "missional" genre then this won't blow you away; however, it is full of great insight and encouragement into what it means to be a church of little Jesus'.
Tobi
Aug 14, 2014 Tobi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es ist immer wieder gut, an die Grundlagen erinnert zu werden.
Donnie Gamble, Rev,  MDiv, DMin
Apr 07, 2011 Donnie Gamble, Rev, MDiv, DMin rated it liked it
Recommended to Donnie by: David Gustafson
Have not completed, put aside for present.
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Matt
Matt added it
Jan 22, 2016
Zachary Mosby
Zachary Mosby marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Steven Bullmer
Steven Bullmer is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2016
Matthew Gillette
Matthew Gillette rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Tim Barklay
Tim Barklay marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Robby
Robby marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Amy G
Amy G added it
Jan 01, 2016
Louise Shepperd
Louise Shepperd rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Daniel Duncan
Daniel Duncan rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Chris Frohling
Chris Frohling rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Rohadi
Rohadi added it
Nov 22, 2015
Implementation 1 2 Mar 08, 2014 05:37AM
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community: The Posture and Practices of Ancient Church Now
  • Breaking the Missional Code: When Churches Become Missionaries in Their Communities
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
  • Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America
  • Soultsunami: Sink or Swim in New Millennium Culture
  • The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited
  • The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church
  • The Literary Study Bible: ESV
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • The Sermons of Jonathan Edwards: A Reader
  • The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives
  • The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why
  • Listening to the Beliefs of Emerging Churches
Michael Frost is the Vice Principal and the Director of the Tinsley Institute at Morling College. He teaches various missiology and evangelism subjects and has written extensively on a missional paradigm for the church in a post-Christian era.

See also other Michael Frosts.
More about Michael Frost...

“If the heart of Christian spirituality is to increasingly become like our founder, then an authentic comprehension of Jesus becomes critical.” 1 likes
“Jesus is the center of all, the object of all, whoever does not know him, knows nothing aright, either of the world or of himself. —Blaise Pascal” 0 likes