Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Crooked World” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Crooked World

Doctor Who: The Crooked World (Eighth Doctor Adventures #57)

The people of the Crooked World lead an idyllic existence. Take Streaky Bacon, for example. This jovial farmer wants nothing more from life than a huge blunderbuss, with which he can blast away at his crop-stealing nemesis. And then there's Angel Falls, a racing driver with a string of victories to her name. Sure, her trusted guardian might occasionally put on a mask and m ...more
Published June 3rd 2002 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Paul Cornell
Best Doctor Who Books
81st out of 219 books — 188 voters
Doctor Who by Jonathan    MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary Russell
Doctor Who Books
122nd out of 288 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Battaglia
Feb 18, 2013 Michael Battaglia rated it it was amazing
THIS. Since around "City of the Dead", the Eighth Doctor novels have been on a bit of a hot streak, more willing to take chances and push the concept into territory that not only feels new but also wouldn't have worked as well on the TV screens. And they've done it without becoming self-consciously "adult" and shoving the show into extremes of sex and violence (something the Virgin line, for all it did right, occasionally fell prey to). They've managed to adopt a tone that balances fun without b ...more
Apr 04, 2014 Glenn rated it it was amazing
I guess since it's a front runner right now on the latest poll on the Doctor Who Book Club - Traveling the Vortex, I had better get my review up.

I read this novel several months back, but from what I can remember, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This was, I believe, the first Eighth Doctor novel that I had read, and because of the unconventional concept of the story, I wouldn't recommend that to others who have not read any Eighth Doctor books before.

That said, it is a very enjoyable book.

The author, St
Feb 12, 2016 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and entertaining story, with an interesting layer of darkness. More than just Doctor Who meets saturday morning cartoons.
James Hornby
May 11, 2014 James Hornby rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the most unique book I've ever read. Saturday morning cartoons will never be the same again, but somehow I won't miss that.
Feb 23, 2011 Leela42 rated it liked it
Shelves: eda, eighth-doctor
Eighth Doctor Adventure (EDA) with Fitz and Anji. Very well constructed, which is a rarity in Doctor Who 'orginal novels'. On the downside, the wording is unpolished in a few chapters and the last third doesn't fit very well as the reader keeps being brought up short by contradictions with earlier character rationales (as if the book is an expansion on an earlier work but the final product was never polished by an editor).
Thedoctor Withrosetyler
This one was a bit too weird for my taste, with its non-humanoid, twisted-reality cartoon characters. If you could get past that, though, the plotting was very suspenseful, and truly horrifying. A little too horrific, for my taste, actually!
Jun 18, 2013 M rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
I balked at the cover, and the description on the back did nothing to reassure me.

Only Doctor Who could turn Looney Toons into a discussion on the sacredness of life and the universal right to free will.

I'd be upset about it if I wasn't so darn impressed.

It still lost two stars for general tackiness.

I'm actually still really conflicted about this one.

Read it if you dare.
Jul 18, 2012 Charlotte rated it liked it
The EDAs seem to be either utterly dark or completely mad. This one's the latter. Quite some amusing ideas about incorporating real-world logic into a cartoon world, but as it's actually set in the Doctor Who world it doesn't always seem to work. Still, amusing read, if absolute bonkers.
Dec 10, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
The Eighth Doctor lands on cartoon world. Not quite as funny as it sounds, it goes much more deeply into how the Doctor and his companions affect the world and society more than they realize.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Alicia Pearson
Alicia Pearson marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Chantelle marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
GARETH J. BOWLEY rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Erik marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Ryan White
Ryan White marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Aimee marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Isha Rao
Isha Rao marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Anthony Valletta
Anthony Valletta marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Chris Kilga
Chris Kilga rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Christa (linuxchic)
Christa (linuxchic) rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2016
Brett added it
Jul 13, 2016
Ingibjörg Elefsen
Ingibjörg Elefsen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Steve Weahunt
Steve Weahunt marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Matthew Torpy
Matthew Torpy marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Doctor Who Book C...: April 2014 - The Crooked World by Steve Lyons 43 20 May 05, 2014 08:35AM
  • Doctor Who: Eater of Wasps
  • Doctor Who: Frontier Worlds
  • Doctor Who: The Domino Effect
  • Doctor Who: The Year of Intelligent Tigers
  • Doctor Who: The Sleep Of Reason
Steve Lyons is a science fiction writer, best known for writing television tie-ins of Doctor Who for BBC Books, and previously, Virgin. The earliest of these was Conundrum in 1994, and his most recent was 2005's The Stealers of Dreams. He has also written material for Star Trek tie-ins, as well as original work.
More about Steve Lyons...

Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors