Doctor Who: The Crooked World

Doctor Who: The Crooked World (Eighth Doctor Adventures #57)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The people of the Crooked World lead an idyllic existence. Take Streaky Bacon, for example. This jovial farmer wants nothing more from life than a huge blunderbuss, with which he can blast away at his crop-stealing nemesis. And then there's Angel Falls, a racing driver with a string of victories to her name. Sure, her trusted guardian might occasionally put on a mask and m...more
Published June 3rd 2002 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleHuman Nature by Paul CornellDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Gary Russell
Best Doctor Who Books
53rd out of 175 books — 122 voters
Doctor Who by Jonathan MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Stephen Cole
Doctor Who Books
98th out of 197 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Battaglia
THIS. Since around "City of the Dead", the Eighth Doctor novels have been on a bit of a hot streak, more willing to take chances and push the concept into territory that not only feels new but also wouldn't have worked as well on the TV screens. And they've done it without becoming self-consciously "adult" and shoving the show into extremes of sex and violence (something the Virgin line, for all it did right, occasionally fell prey to). They've managed to adopt a tone that balances fun without b...more
Glenn
I guess since it's a front runner right now on the latest poll on the Doctor Who Book Club - Traveling the Vortex, I had better get my review up.

I read this novel several months back, but from what I can remember, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This was, I believe, the first Eighth Doctor novel that I had read, and because of the unconventional concept of the story, I wouldn't recommend that to others who have not read any Eighth Doctor books before.

That said, it is a very enjoyable book.

The author, St...more
James Hornby
Quite possibly the most unique book I've ever read. Saturday morning cartoons will never be the same again, but somehow I won't miss that.
Alejandro
I don't care what anyone says, and maybe I'm still stoned from the philosophy class I just finished last week, but this is possibly one of the most poignant fictional examinations of the idea of free will I've ever read.

Read this in conjunction with the fifth issue of Grant Morrison and Chas Truog's "Animal Man" (entitled "The Coyote Gospel"), if you want to see cartoons in a whole new light.

If you disagree... go fuck yourself.
Leela42
Eighth Doctor Adventure (EDA) with Fitz and Anji. Very well constructed, which is a rarity in Doctor Who 'orginal novels'. On the downside, the wording is unpolished in a few chapters and the last third doesn't fit very well as the reader keeps being brought up short by contradictions with earlier character rationales (as if the book is an expansion on an earlier work but the final product was never polished by an editor).
Thedoctor Withrosetyler
This one was a bit too weird for my taste, with its non-humanoid, twisted-reality cartoon characters. If you could get past that, though, the plotting was very suspenseful, and truly horrifying. A little too horrific, for my taste, actually!
M
I balked at the cover, and the description on the back did nothing to reassure me.

Only Doctor Who could turn Looney Toons into a discussion on the sacredness of life and the universal right to free will.

I'd be upset about it if I wasn't so darn impressed.

It still lost two stars for general tackiness.

I'm actually still really conflicted about this one.

Read it if you dare.
Charlotte
The EDAs seem to be either utterly dark or completely mad. This one's the latter. Quite some amusing ideas about incorporating real-world logic into a cartoon world, but as it's actually set in the Doctor Who world it doesn't always seem to work. Still, amusing read, if absolute bonkers.
The Eighth Doctor lands on cartoon world. Not quite as funny as it sounds, it goes much more deeply into how the Doctor and his companions affect the world and society more than they realize.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Fahro
Fahro marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jimmy
Jimmy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sean Flood
Sean Flood marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Andy Stehr
Andy Stehr marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
John
John added it
Jun 21, 2014
S. Pame Patelli
S. Pame Patelli marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
J.s.
J.s. marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Christina Walters
Christina Walters marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Doctor Who Book C...: April 2014 - The Crooked World by Steve Lyons 43 17 May 05, 2014 08:35AM
Steve Lyons is a science fiction writer, best known for writing television tie-ins of Doctor Who for BBC Books, and previously, Virgin. The earliest of these was Conundrum in 1994, and his most recent was 2005's The Stealers of Dreams. He has also written material for Star Trek tie-ins, as well as original work.
More about Steve Lyons...
Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams Imperial Guard Omnibus: Volume 1 (Warhammer 40,000 Omnibus) Warhammer 40K: Death World Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 1 (8th Doctor Series Vol. 1, Audio CD) Dead Men Walking