Start by marking “A Handbook for Drowning: Stories” as Want to Read:
A Handbook for Drowning: Stories

A Handbook for Drowning: Stories

In connected stories, Shields gives us a portrait of a young man growing up fixated on his parents' idealism and his own mortality. These stories go beyond easy expectations and reach for the reality of human experience in all its disorder and mystery.
Published January 1st 1993 by Harper Perennial (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Handbook for Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Handbook for Drowning

Christoph
Jun 15, 2011 Christoph rated it liked it
So I heard about Shield's Reality Hunger from his interview on Colbert and while waiting around for a copy to fall into my lap, I happened on this little ditty. It is an easy read without much thought, but subtext is subtle so if you pick it up and read in a weekend, you might have missed too much. For instance, at first I didn't even make the connection this was an actual novel; I thought that it was a collection of short stories. And that is the flow of the book, a series of disjointed events ...more
Michele
Jan 29, 2013 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I just did NOT see what other people saw in this book. I didn't see plot or resolution in any of the stories - I found them poorly written and completely forgettable. And as for the overarching theme of the stories together, well, there wasn't much there, either. There were recurring themes, the mother's cancer, drowning, the Rosenbergs, but nothing made sense in the book any more than anything else. Bizarre collection of stories. I thought it was terrible.
Miriam Fitting
Pretty yet gritty stories about sometimes narrator Walt in his awkward childhood and faintly sordid adulthood--his defeats, his loves, his painful epiphanies. An enjoyable read, makes me want to read more, and later work by Shields.
Kevin
Jul 16, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, memoir
A master of creative non-fiction, these stories are brief, personal, and interesting. Made me want to check out Remote, which I hear is better.
Robert
Jul 09, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
my favorite by david shields so far--as an engaging read as opposed to an interesting conceptual project. fav in that category would be reality hunger. so far.
Robert
Sep 16, 2009 Robert rated it liked it
An interesting read on the story of man who attempts to balance his grief for his dying mother and the pmpersonal rationality he has been taught to practice.
Richard Jespers
Apr 09, 2015 Richard Jespers rated it really liked it
Great set of short stories, all with the same characters. Instead of being told chronologically, however, the stories appear in a nonlinear manner with various points of view employed.
Frances Chiem
Jan 26, 2014 Frances Chiem rated it liked it
Fairly derivative stories that show early ideas for Shield's future collage work but with none of the same energy as his nonfiction.
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2008
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Patrick Kieffer
Patrick Kieffer rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Erin Tuzuner
Erin Tuzuner rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2007
Matt Briggs
Matt Briggs rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2008
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Adam Silverman
Adam Silverman rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2011
Kat
Kat rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2008
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2008
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
John Everett
John Everett rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Matthew Porras
Matthew Porras rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Austin Beaton
Austin Beaton rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Amy R
Amy R rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2009
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
May 05, 2010
Debra B.
Jul 31, 2013 Debra B. rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the way all of these stories included the members of one family. Well-written.
« previous 1 3 next »
David Shields is the author of fourteen books, including Reality Hunger (Knopf, 2010), which was named one of the best books of 2010 by more than thirty publications. GQ called it "the most provocative, brain-rewiring book of 2010"; the New York Times called it "a mind-bending manifesto." His previous book, The Thing About Life Is That One Day You'll Be Dead (Knopf, 2008), was a New York Times bes ...more
More about David Shields...

“No one was dancing, least of all us, because I don't dance in public. My body's a private thing; it doesn't belong to the world at large.” 4 likes
“When will you stop laughing at misery? I'm so sick and tired of your pseudo-strength. All I want you to do is laugh at what is funny and cry at what isn't, but you won't do that, will you?” 2 likes