Start by marking “Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)” as Want to Read:
Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)

Golden Fool (Tawny Man #2)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  45,964 Ratings  ·  732 Reviews
The acclaimed Farseer and Liveship Traders trilogies established Robin Hobb as one of the most splendidly imaginative practitioners of world-class fantasy.

Now, in Book 2 of her most stunning trilogy yet, Hobb continues the soul-shattering tale of FitzChivalry Farseer. With rich characters, breathtaking magic, and sweeping action, Golden Fool brings the reluctant adventure
Mass Market Paperback, 709 pages
Published December 2003 by Spectra (first published October 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Fool

Bookdragon Sean
Fitz is in a bad way, and it’s not surprising considering what happened at the end of the last novel. We all knew it was coming eventually, but I honestly didn’t expect it so soon. I guess age finally catches up with us all. But for Fitz, he has lost half his soul; he will never be quite the same again.

Is this an excuse to finally return?

What his loss has granted him is loneliness. And this forces him back into an old life. He picks up the old tools of the trade, his axe and his poisons: he r
Samantha
Aug 15, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this to bits! Especially the last few pages. Cannot wait for book 3 to arrive so I can dive right back in!
Halima

"If you think I've never known love, then you don't know anything about me."

This is a five star novel, Heaven knows it to be true.

This novel second in the Tawny man trilogy continues the story of our older FitzChivarly, or as we've come to know him: Tom Badgerlock. Hobb delivers yet another remarkable read; the plot, the characters, the Wit, the Skill, the dialogue- oh gosh the dialogue, it was insane!
I loved every moment, yes, it may have taken me longer than usual to finish, but I'm glad I t
Hanne
Nov 11, 2012 Hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reviewing 7 previous Robin Hobb books, I feel like a broken record. So instead of making a new review, I decided to dig up all the previous ones and mash them together:

Some of the biggest sized words read: I just really love.

And I do!
I love her writing.
I love her characters (well, most of them. the others, i just love despising them)
I love how she makes me care.
I love how she keeps me guessing.

And most of all, I love how I have five more books to go set in this world. Four more days and
Kaitlin
Jul 06, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
What is this book...? Well, it's the continuation of Fitz's storyline. It's also the continuation of the Fool's storyline and Bukkeep's storyline. I would also go so far as to say that this is the continuation of the Elderlings world. This book, although focused on Fitz most of the time, is actually a story which traverses the boundaries of the two series we've previously read in this world. Whilst before now we have had small easter egg references to events or people within one of the other ser ...more
Kaora
Mar 01, 2014 Kaora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say this is my favorite Robin Hobb book, but that is like saying it is not my favorite type of chocolate. It's still fucking delicious.

I just felt that this one dragged a bit more and while a lot happened there was really no resolution. It is the second book in a trilogy, but in the first book I felt like things were accomplished even though it was nowhere near the end.

Then I started this and so many plots were set into motion that I'm not sure how she can wrap them all up in one more bo
David Sven
I'm enjoying this Trilogy so far even more than the previous two in the series. Robin Hobb's writing is either getting better or I am just increasingly more invested in the characters of her world - probably both. Either way, Hobb's characterization is second to none. She can make you feel the joy of friendship rekindled or the rift of a lover's quarrel or the grief that come's with a close companion's death. Let us now pause a moment to remember NightEyes...

The other thing that made this book v
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Nov 11, 2016 Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ by: Halima
Shelves: fantasy
My dear goodread friends Halima says I should totally read this book.

Let's find out if she is right about it ;)
helen the bookowl
This book was good, but for the most part I felt like it was just filling in the story between the first and the third book in this Tawny Man trilogy. Not a lot happens, and everything is a build-up to the big adventure we will encounter in book three.
I wasn't at any point eager to get back to this book and read it, but when I did read I liked it because it is entertaining and in many ways thought-provoking. Fitz is a likeable man, and that goes for almost all of the other characters as well.
So
Michelle Morrell
Jan 30, 2017 Michelle Morrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, read-2017
More of the same, if that more included staying up way too late each night, ignoring my life so I can pretend I'm a 30-something royal bastard assassin and visceral emotions running the gamut from horror to delight to despondency to the sad slow head shake of inevitability. So crazily well written it hurts.

My only complaint is people in this book need to stop concerning themselves about what goes on in two consenting adults's bedchambers. Evolve already!
Dara
It's getting more and more difficult for me to articulate what I love about these books. It's a combination of so many things. Fitz has become one of my all-time favorite characters, along with many of his friends. The world of the Elderlings is endlessly fascinating. There's a deep history there - in the Six Duchies and beyond - that I want to know about. The magic in this series is captivating and mysterious - I always want to experience more of the Skill and the Wit. Robin Hobb's writing is m ...more
Em

This is my third time of reading The Tawny Man series and I still enjoy it just as much as the first time. The Golden Fool doesn't have middle book syndrome, there isn't much of a plot but a lot happens and it's all about exploring and building relationships between Fitz, Fool, Dutiful, Chade and of course Thick. It is in fact my favourite of all the books in the series.

It's extremely painful to read in parts, especially the explosive argument between Fitz and the Fool. It was upsetting to see
Wastrel
It's hard to be objective, because this is one of my favourite books of all time. After seven volumes, we're now so deeply into the mind of FitzChivalry Farseer that it feels like a second home, and while some may complain that nothing whatsoever happens in this book (they'd be wrong - a lot happens in this book, there just isn't really a plot), I rejoiced in being given the time and space to see more of Fitz dealing with ordinary life. Hobb's great stylistic strength might be the way that she t ...more
Chris
Here we are again, the middle book of a Hobb trilogy. I really think she hits her stride in these second books. The pace has built up a bit from the first, and it sets up the third one nicely.

There were a couple of emotional scenes in this that are certainly appreciated by a long time reader of this overall series. I won't go into it, but they alone made this book something special. I hope they are a good preview of what's to come in Book #3, which I'll be starting soon.
Jason
Aug 13, 2009 Jason rated it it was amazing
This series... man. I loved this series and wanted to throw it against the wall so many times. The main character especially challenged me as a reader. Fitz is, without a question, a immensely believable character. If for no other reason then that there are so many times you want to slap him for being so often fallible. He is by no means perfect and he makes many selfish or foolhardy decisions. But that only wants you to want that much more for him to improve and succeed.

The relationship betwee
Rob
Aug 31, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it
Executive Summary: I really enjoyed this book, and found myself staying up till 2 in the morning and rudely reading while visiting with family on Christmas Eve just to finish it.

Full Review
There isn't a lot for me to really say about this book without getting into spoilers. Robin Hobb seems to find a way make you really care about her characters and suck you into the story even when it's just day to day living. Of course Fitz's days are a tad bit more interesting than your average person.

It al
Claudia
May 27, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, z-to-a-hobb
Superb second part! There are a lot of things which relates it to the events from The Liveship Traders, a lot of revelations and some other turnabouts which I did not see coming. And even if Fitz’ misfortunes did not forsake him, yet I get the feeling that the wheel is starting to spin – very slowly but there is a movement; I really hope I’m not mistaken.

Now, lets see where the path takes our heroes in their ultimate quest and what happens with the black one from the tales...
Paul
Golden Fool takes the foundation that Fool’s Errand establishes and just adds so much more in a familiar setting that any Hobb fan would be happy in, Buckkeep Castle. It is difficult to tell what this book is about without spoiling other Robin Hobb books but suffice to say that there is a greater emphasis on the Wit, the magic that allows people to commune with animals, and also foreign relations. The Six Duchies is establishing itself in the world as a powerful ally and other kingdoms are now t ...more
Sotiris Karaiskos
Δεύτερο μέρος και όπως συνηθίζεται στις τριλογίες κατεβάζουμε ταχύτητα για να δούμε που βρισκόμαστε και προετοιμαζόμαστε για το αποφασιστικό τρίτο και τελευταίο μέρος. Κάτι ανάλογο είχε κάνει η συγγραφέας στην πρώτη τριλογία αυτής της σειράς αλλά το αποτέλεσμα ήταν κατά τη γνώμη μου λίγο κουραστικό, εδώ όμως το αποτέλεσμα είναι εντελώς διαφορετικό καθώς η πλοκή μας οδηγεί σε πολλά ενδιαφέροντα μονοπάτια. Γινόμαστε μάρτυρες περίεργων πολιτικών παιχνιδιών διαφόρων ομάδων, εντός και εκτός του βασι ...more
Scarletine
Apr 08, 2014 Scarletine rated it it was amazing
 photo 078f1d8c697bae8eab1e076c5dc76f50_zpsbhzem3ac.jpg
The more I read of Robin Hobb's books, the more I berate myself from not reading them earlier in my life. I don't know how they escaped me, but I'm catching up, at a pace!
Having read the Assasins Trilogy, and Fools Errand I am already deeply in love with the Fool and deeply frustrated with Fitz. He blunders his way through life with rarely a lesson learned. He cannot see the love is in front of his face, and longs for a dream of Molly and a family that he chose not to persue. This story continu
Meg
Apr 04, 2012 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I couldn't put this book down but it made me hella angsty, especially the parts about Fitz and the Fool. Although it's clearly Fitz and his culture who are anti-gay, I still felt like Hobbs does a disservice by casting the Fool in the role of the "tragic homosexual" (http://www.glbtq.com/arts/film,2.html if you need some context - a lonely gay person who is hopelessly in love with a straight person and/or doomed to spend their life alone and unhappy). Admittedly, my romantic wish for Fitz to be ...more
KostasAt
Apr 13, 2016 KostasAt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
8/10

The second book has a bit slower pace than the first as Robin Hobb focuses more on Fitz’s life and with the intrigues of the Castle, as also with a mix of some events from Liveship Traders that will put in motion a great adventure to come and lots of revelations.

Fitz has returned to the life of the Castle again and he has to face, not only his personal difficulties but also of the Six Duchies itself as the threat from the Piebalds still remains and with their machinations starting to grow th
Brittany
May 20, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Golden Fool was an enjoyable read. Truthfully, many parts were painful. From an outsiders perspective, I cannot understand some of Fitz's decisions - to keep his identity a secret; to introduce a rift in his friendship with the Tawny Man; to keep his family from harm, while ignoring the need for their presence at Buckkeep. At times, the character of Fitz is maddening. However, this is how normal, real humans exist: often reasoning and decisions are messy and irrational. Fitz beautifully embodies ...more
Shari (colourmeread)
I haven't written enough reviews when it comes to Robin Hobb's books. It's always been a challenge for me, not because I have nothing to say about the book, but because 1) the book I just read was so good I just jump to the next one and 2) how do you describe feels?! Needless to say, I'll probably sound like a broken record if I managed to review them all.

Hobb is a great writer. She proves this again and again and just when I think she couldn't possibly outdo herself, she does.

Hobb's world is fa
Zayne
Mar 12, 2013 Zayne rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. I enjoyed reading this book so much, I was always sad to set it down. This book captured my attention almost the entire time. The beginning was a bit slow, but it shot off afterwards. This was definitely better than Fool's Errand: faster pace, secrets so close to bursting, and the focus on Fitz's life and his relationships with the various characters rather than the actual plot.

I always say the same thing when I'm reviewing a Robin Hobb book: its amazing, Hobb is the Goddess
Kalin
Aug 26, 2016 Kalin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts of notes:

~ When I can face pain and regrets and meaningful friendships again, I should reread Chapter 5, "Shared Sorrows." It is sublime.

~ Also, Chapters 15 ("Quarrel"), 16 ("Fathers") and 20 ("Coterie").

Flow, my tears ....
Mike
Dec 14, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, charity-2016
3 Stars but arrggh, so much talking/thinking/indecision and so little action. My least favorite so far. But I have to give it stars because she has gotten me to read over 1,000 pages. She writes well but does not relate well in the mind of a male.
Beleth
Jan 26, 2016 Beleth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Aunque me ha encantado le pongo esta nota porque realmente la trama prácticamente no avanza y hay muchísimos frentes abiertos... a ver cómo consigue cerrarlo todo sin dejarse nada por el camino.
Dan
Mar 29, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magez, adventure, 2016
Another enjoyable read in this worthwhile series.
F.R.
Nov 14, 2016 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may have expressed some disappointment in my review of ‘Fool’s Errand’ that there just wasn’t enough court intrigue to get my teeth into. Hobb more than makes up for it in the second volume of this trilogy – there is court intrigue at every possible vantage point; Fitz spends so much time hidden in spy tunnels I pictured him constantly covered in dust and cobwebs – so why have I still come away feeling not completely satisfied?

As befits a middle novel, there are numerous strands coming togethe
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 16-20 6 16 Nov 10, 2016 03:47PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 1-5 5 21 Oct 28, 2016 07:47AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: golden fool part 6 > finished 18 47 Sep 19, 2013 12:18AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: golden fool part 5 > chapters 21 to 25 14 44 Sep 16, 2013 09:46PM
The Robin Hobb Co...: golden fool part 4 > chapters 16 to 20 21 36 Sep 15, 2013 03:42PM
The Robin Hobb Co...: golden fool part 3 > chapters 11 to 15 13 47 Sep 13, 2013 03:44PM
The Robin Hobb Co...: golden fool part 2 > chapters 6 to 10 22 28 Sep 12, 2013 01:10AM
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • The Limbreth Gate (Windsingers, #3)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Tawny Man (3 books)
  • Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)

“if love doesnt come first and linger after, if love cant wait and endure disappointment and seperation, then its not love.” 73 likes
“You seek a false comfort when you demand that I define myself for you with words. Words do not contain or define any person. A heart can, if it is willing.” 44 likes