Start by marking “Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)

Fool's Fate (Tawny Man #3)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  41,309 Ratings  ·  905 Reviews
FitzChivalry Farseer has become firmly ensconced in the queen’s court. Along with his mentor, Chade, and the simpleminded yet strongly Skilled Thick, Fitz strives to aid Prince Dutiful on a quest that could secure peace with the Outislands—and win Dutiful the hand of the Narcheska Elliania.

The Narcheska has set the prince an unfathomable task: to behead a dragon trapped
Published November 23rd 2004 by Spectra (first published November 1st 2003)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussA Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
48th out of 1,850 books — 6,484 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussAssassin's Apprentice by Robin HobbA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinAssassin's Quest by Robin Hobb
Character Driven Fantasy Books
10th out of 262 books — 210 voters

More lists with this book...

Adrienne
If you've made it this far, you probably know what you're getting into when you start a Robin Hobb book. I certainly did, and it doesn't change the fact that my soul is now a heap of shreds on the floor. Oh, is that melodramatic? I don't care! I can count on one hand the number of books that have made me cry, and this is one of them -- twice, in fact, and a few times afterward. My poor soul!

That is not to say that this was a perfect book. I thought the beginning started out rather slowly, so at
Samantha
Aug 25, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing
This book. Damn. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time! I haven't been this emotionally affected by a book in years. I cried so many times, which is rare for me. It was perfect. Seriously, reading all of Hobb's books is worth it just to get to this one. Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!
Kaitlin
So... I don't know how I am supposed to begin writing up a review for this book because never in my whole life have I been as affected and devastated, happy and excited, lonely and angry as I was throughout the adventures of this book. This is my all-time favourite book. It's exceptional. It's leagues ahead of all others (except for The Mad Ship, also by Hobb, which was recently my favourite book... overtaken by another Hobb book!) for so many reasons, and trying to gather my thoughts and rein t ...more
Kaora
Jan 06, 2016 Kaora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series was all set to be my Robin Hobb all time favorite surpassing even Liveship Traders.

The writing is absolutely superb and the world Hobb has created continues to wow me in its complexity. It is a world I wouldn't mind spending forever in. And she has frequently brought me to tears with the beautiful moments she captures between her amazing characters.

All that night, I cradled him in my arms, as closely as if he were my child or my lover. As closely as if he were my self, wounded and al
Franco  Santos
«Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more.»
Puedo decir con total seguridad que este libro es el mejor de Robin Hobb que he leído. Pocas veces una novela supera mis expectativas cuando sé que esta va a ser excelente, sin embargo, desafiando las probabilidades, Fool's fate me demostró que siempre se puede dar un poco más, que siempre Hobb tiene una lágrima o una sonrisa inesperada para darme.

«I told you I set no
Tara
Mar 18, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
Evie Byrne
I was very happy with this series (though I wouldn't recommend anyone read it without reading the Farseer trilogy first). I must have been happy because I read all three books within a week at the cost of many hours of sleep.

However, can I just say to those of you who have read these books that I couldn't really buy the Molly thing? Is anyone with me on this? I understand she represents home and hearth for him (or cave and cubs!) and perhaps his lost youth. But she just wasn't a compelling chara
Niks
Jul 26, 2013 Niks rated it it was amazing
Bitter sweetness or sweet bitterness...Epic.
I was absolutely crazy when I finished the final, 6th book about The Fool and the Assasin, I couldn`t read, couldn`t sleep, concentrate or communicate with people - I got lost in the thoughts and emotions after absorbing this Story. The funny thing is that currently I spend my summer vacations out of town and without any internet. But after I finished the last pages and the understanding that THIS is the end, no more Fool and Fitz relationship for y
David Sven
A good and satisfying ending to what has become my favourite Hobb trilogy. I thought the ending of the Farseer trilogy was good as well even though many didn’t find it a very fitting ending because a lot of Fitz’ pain and sacrifice went largely unrewarded and unrecognised. But I think even many of those critics would appreciate the end of this series.

Like the last book of the Farseer Trilogy, this book brings us to a dragon-centric quest. An adventure where the hero goes off to slay a dragon. We
Chris
What I've come to expect from a Robin Hobb book. That is, it has about twice as many pages as the plot should support, but that's alright. Because the remaining text is filled with essential character development, which is Hobb's greatest strength as a writer. So in that sense, it's a typical book from her. But on the other hand, it's very much its own story, or sub-story of the greater tale of FitzChivalry Farseer.

I won't really comment much on how it wraps up this trilogy, for fear of spoilers
Hanne
Oct 16, 2013 Hanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A letter home -

That’s it then, another quest came to an end. Another set of mysteries explained. We went sailing (which Thick was very grateful for) and ice fishing, we made ice castles (though 'labyrinth' would probably cover it better) and we even made a dragon or two fly. The weather wasn't very good, and I probably hadn't packed enough Siberian-inspired winter clothes but I survived, somehow. The food wasn't really good either, but luckily I found an abandoned honey jar on the way.

As always
Zayne
Jan 17, 2016 Zayne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fool's Fate has one of the most satisfying endings I've read in a long time. When I first began Assassin's Apprentice, I thought "Oh, it's first-person. That's boring. Now I know the main character won't die." Well, Hobb taught me that there are far worse things you can do to a character than kill them. After 6 books of Hobb physically and emotionally torturing FitzChivalry, I was very surprised to see an ending like this. It was such an amazing ending. How did I expect the ending to go? Somethi ...more
Steph (bookplaits)
In three words: tense, heartbreaking, emotional.

"An accumulation of small acts can change the world."

When I started reading the Tawny Man trilogy, people warned me that it would be sad but that the pain would be worth it. Now I've finished, I can definitely see what they mean! My emotions were all over the place during the last half or so of this book. So many things happened. SO MANY FEELS.

To backtrack a little, having read the Farseer trilogy and the Liveship Traders trilogy, this is the thi
Arthur
Sep 05, 2009 Arthur rated it did not like it
Damian Dubois
Oct 06, 2014 Damian Dubois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I think the last line of Fool's Fate sums up my feelings for the book and the trilogy perfectly.

I am content.

Technically I know I should go onto the Rainwild Traders next but there is a certain other Hobb book that is screaming out to me to read me first - Fool's Assassin. And for the first time I will be basically reading her new book 'live' rather than years after the original release. Can't wait to swim in uncharted waters.
Paul
Jan 05, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing
Recommendation: Buy this book(series) and make it top priority.

Fool’s Fate by Robin Hobb is the culmination of the Tawny Man Trilogy, a trilogy that got better with each book, and ended spectacularly with a lot of feeling. Fool’s Fate is the 9th book in Hobb’s Realm of the Elderling Series and those books need to be read before you read Fool’s Fate. Those trilogies are The Farseer Trilogy and The Liveship Traders Trilogy. This is an epic fantasy series that focuses on characterization and inter-
Jesse
Dec 31, 2007 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and George R.R. Martin
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to try not to gush in this review but I am very happy to end 2007 with this book. This book on many occassions brought tears to my eyes as I read momments of great sadness and momments that touch the heart. All of this is interlaced with a brilliant narative, characters that are painfully real feeling, and a world also rendered equally real.

I've savored this book over the last 3-4 months, partly to prolong the experience but also for fear of running out of great fantasy to read. I star
Junkie for the Written Word
Mar 14, 2013 Junkie for the Written Word rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-books
I gave this book an extra star because of my overall enjoyment of the Farseer saga. However:

))))))*****Major Spoilers BELOW!****((((((((

I have never wanted someone to be gay so much before in my life. The fact that the relationship between the Fool and Fitz was snatched away and replaced at the very end with Molly was so soul crushing I want to forget it ever happened. I may have to break my "no fanfic" rule and scour the internet for the ending I wanted. Slashfic here I come!

Also, there were m
Scarletine
Jun 27, 2015 Scarletine rated it it was amazing
I have never cried so much reading a book, and now I'm finished i'm dazed and bereft. It is testement to Robin Hobbs incredible imagination and talent that readers can be left feeling the emense weight of loss when the book is completed.

I am deeply in love with the character of the Fool, he is one of the most intriguing, beautiful characters I have found in a story for a long time, and i read ALOT of books!. His relationship with Fitz is heart achingly beautiful, moving and poigniant.

I want to
Rob
Feb 03, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing
Executive Summary: I've been trying to be cautious about the books I give 5 stars. I really enjoyed the 8 books before this one. Most are very high 4's, but this one was a 5.

From an author who seems to take pleasure in tormenting her characters, this was a surprisingly satisfying ending.

Full Review: As the year draws to a close, I look back on 9 books I read in the last 4 months by Robin Hobb. Books I might never have read if not for good reads.

This book caps off 3 stand alone trilogy that's
Kat  Hooper
Oct 28, 2014 Kat Hooper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I shouldn’t even have to write this review. Fool’s Fate is the last book in Robin Hobb’s TAWNY MAN trilogy, following Fool’s Errand and Golden Fool. If you haven’t read those (and preferably also the earlier FARSEER trilogy), you have no business reading this review. If you have read those books, there is about a 0.00416% chance that you’re not going to pick up Fool’s Fate, so it doesn’t matter what I say here.

But, since you are here, for whatever reason,
Eddie Costello
Apr 14, 2015 Eddie Costello rated it it was amazing
Shelves: robin-hobb, 5-stars, 2015
I'm in tears; happy and sad ones
Jul 19, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
While originally I thought I might have erred by going from the Farseers trilogy to the Tawny man, I don't know if I could have handled being broken out of Fitz's life to go through the Liveship Traders. I couldn't part with this story for even a moment - causing my family to laughingly scold me as I ascended and descended the stairs in our house occasionally with my ipad in my hand, eyes fixed to the screen, because how could I look away now? HOW?

So consider this a review of both trilogies, rea
Jennifer Lim
Jul 04, 2013 Jennifer Lim rated it really liked it
(view spoiler)

I have never felt this broken after finishing a series. Not since Harry Potter (yes, i love this series that much). I'm in that pit of despair when you realize that there will be no more stories about the book you love and that it has finally come to an end.

I remember when I first tried reading Assassin's Apprentice, I wanted to stop reading by the third page. I know, I know. I don't know why I even thought that I will not be able to relate to that bastard child in
Dara
Fool's Fate is tremendously satisfying ending to the Tawny Man trilogy. Robin Hobb is well known for torturing her characters and there's no shortage of pain and strife but Hobb also delivers plenty of catharsis. (Probably spoilers below).

The Tawny Man trilogy may be 3 books but it's one long tale best read one after the other. Each book has a beginning, middle, and end, wrapping up the main plot threads whilst leaving enough story to continue in the following book. It doesn't feel like one gian
Em
Dec 29, 2014 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I've finally made it through my mammoth re-read of the 3 series and I'm only two days behind schedule!

The Complete Farseer Trilogy: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest
The Complete Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny
The Complete Tawny Man Trilogy: Fool's Errand, The Golden Fool, Fool's Fate

Without sounding too melodramatic Fool's Fate is without a doubt the hardest book I've ever had to read, it's heartbreaking and the last few hundred pages
Liam
Mar 12, 2011 Liam rated it it was amazing
[This review may contain some spoilers, though I try to avoid mentioning anything momentous in the plot, if you see [SPOILER] immediately stop reading my review if you have not read the book]

This book is one of the most emotionally powerful books I have ever read. I'm a man, and like many men, we take pride in the masculine stereotype of withholding tears even from extremely emotional moments. I couldn't do that when reading this book. This book, unlike the many so-called "tragic" movies I've se
Shari (colourmeread)

Fool's Fate was everything I could have wanted and more. My friends who've read this book before me always told me to keep tissues handy, because FEELS they said, and they were right. The book isn't just a satisfying finish to the Tawny Man trilogy, but it's also an answering of questions from the Farseer and Liveship Traders trilogies.

Once again, Hobb continues to a
Anna
Apr 04, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow. I just finished this and I have to say, when taken altogether (Farseer Trilogy + Tawny Man series), this series is just masterful. It is one of the most complete stories I've read in a long time. I feel supremely satisfied by the ending... which is... happy.

Normally I don't go for happy endings, because they don't always seem deserved, or realistic. In this case, Hobb has truly demonstrated that only when we have known the deepest depths of despair and tragedy can we also know the greate
Who else was bummed by the end of the series? 20 563 Aug 11, 2015 03:40AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: fool's fate part 4 > chapters 16 to 20 12 35 Feb 20, 2015 12:34PM
I'm amazed how ridiculous this book is. 2 118 Aug 01, 2014 02:06PM
I read this book before any other in the series 1 26 May 15, 2014 10:16AM
The Fool: The Enemy? (HEAVY SPOILERS) 12 84 May 15, 2014 05:51AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: fool's fate part 7 > chapters 31 to 35 14 54 Oct 20, 2013 07:36AM
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
  • The Windsingers (Windsingers, #2)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Tawny Man (3 books)
  • Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)

“Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more.” 704 likes
“In that last dance of chances

I shall partner you no more.

I shall watch another turn you

As you move across the floor.

In that last dance of chances

When I bid your life goodbye

I will hope she treats you kindly.

I will hope you learn to fly.

In that last dance of chances

When I know you'll not be mine

I will let you go with longing

And the hope that you'll be fine.

In that last dance of chances

We shall know each other's minds.

We shall part with our regrets

When the tie no longer binds.”
171 likes