Start by marking “Naked Came the Phoenix” as Want to Read:
Naked Came the Phoenix

Naked Came the Phoenix

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  697 ratings  ·  54 reviews
The promise of discretion and pampering-and a long-overdue reconciliation with her mother-draws Caroline Blessing, the young wife of a newly-elected Congressman, to the fancy Phoenix Spa. But after her first night in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Caroline wakes to find the rich and famous guests in turmoil and under suspicion: the spa's flamboyant and ambitious owner
Published August 15th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Came the Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Came the Phoenix

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertSarah's Key by Tatiana de RosnayFirefly Lane by Kristin HannahWater for Elephants by Sara GruenMessage in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks
My bookclub has read....
68th out of 82 books — 9 voters
White Heaven Women by Jessie B. TysonUnthinkable Consequences by Bob RectorShadow Over Avalon by C.N. LesleyEden by Louise WiseMay Day by Thom  Stark
Wish It Was A Movie
266th out of 337 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Barks & Bites
Naked Came The Phoenix was a book selection for two of my local reading groups because we were intrigued by its unusual format. Twelve bestselling mystery and suspense author joined together to contribute a chapter to this murder-mystery, soap-opera. The catch? Each other must pick up where the last left off and continue the story using the same cast of characters, all of who get zanier as the story progresses.

The opening chapter written by Nevada Barr sets up the story and, in my opinion, was t...more
Catten
Another serial novel is out, this time written by female mystery authors. (Authoresses?)

Remember Naked Came the Manatee? This is the same sort of deal: The thirteen chapters are each written by a different author in the tradition of that 1969 book, Naked Came the Stranger.

Stranger was purportedly written by a Connecticut housewife named Penelope Ashe but was in reality written by 24 Newsday journalists. Editor Marcia Talley was approached by her publisher to do the book. She knew Val McDermid an...more
JBradford
This book is a serial novel, meaning that it was written by 13 different people, some of whom happen to be among my favorite mystery authors, including Anne Perry, J. A. Jance, and Lisa Scotoline. The original project was given to Marcia Talley by her agent, the idea was that each of the individual authors was to write their own chapter in the third person point of view, with each chapter building on whatever had come before, with the fun coming about because each successive author twisted the p...more
Amanda
I picked this up because I assumed it was an anthology of short stories, and I saw JD Robb's name on it. Rather, it's a serial mystery, each chapter written by a different author. Sounds really intriguing, right? Especially with a bunch of well known, well-liked successful authors. Totally wrong. This really sucked - the characters were awful and boring (Caroline could have been likeable, except every time she started to grow a bit of a spine they let her fall apart again). The other characters...more
Caitlin
Told by a different author in each chapter, in the style of Naked Came the Stranger and Naked Came the Manatee--each author writes their own twist and plants their own clues, leaving the next to pick up the threads. The resulting story is very twisty and complicated, delightfully so for a whodunit fan.

Caroline Blessing is the wife of a Congressman, and the daughter of a difficult, demanding, power hungry mother. It's not exactly the most restful place to be, but Caroline does her best to meet ex...more
Sandra
Written by many different detective fiction authors (all women), this book is, at times, rather disjointed and somewhat unbelievable. All that being said, it was great fun!!! I enjoyed seeing my favorite authors writing in a different setting and even a different time.
Penny
This is a serial novel in the manner of "Naked Came the Manatee", " Naked Came the Stranger", "The Floating Admiral" and others. Thirteen women mystery/crime writers collaberated to write this novel and gave a portion of the royalties to breast cancer research.
Contributing authors are:
Chapter 1 - Navada Barr
Chapter 2 - Nora Roberts (J. D. Robb)
Chapter 3 - Nancy Pickard
Chapter 4 - Lisa Scottoline
Chapter 5 - Perri O'Shaughnessy (Pam and Mary)
Chapter 6 - J. A. Jance
Chapter 7 - Faye Kellerman
Chapter...more
Lynn
Naked Came the Phoenix a serial novel edited by Marcia Talley ISBN 0312251947

This book is just plain wonderful. I have bought numerous short story books for the libraries, however they rarely circulate for few people like short stories. I think that most patrons want to sit and read a story from beginning to end … not a series of short little clips.

This book is not a short story collection — it is a serial novel. One author starts the premise and leaves at the end of the chapter, the next author...more
There are a ridiculous number of dead bodies piling up in this book, but that is nothing compared to all of the characters who were given up for adoption as infants. It makes one’s heap spin keeping track of all the characters’ ever shifting relationships with one another. Murders aside, everything else that goes on is very similar to a soap opera, except in a soap opera all the secrets would be revealed over the course of about five years, rather than a few days. There are a few plot inconsiste...more
Becky
Loved this!

how did I ever miss this book when it came out so many years ago? I loved that each chapter was written by a different author who was given what was previously written and a set of rules to follow to continue the story.
the twists and turns were great fun oh and the challenge of pulling together the ending! fun stuff, I hope there's more like this, I'm going to look right now!
Dan
This book was written by thirteen mystery writers, each of which wrote a chapter. The preceding chapters were delivered to the next author, who had to carry the plot along and then hand it to the next author. I read it because I was curious to see the results of that process and because my wife had already bought and read it.

The book was more seamless than I expected. I could not tell a significant difference in style except that I could tell Nevada Barr did not write more than the first chapter...more
Melanie
Serial novel about a spa. JD Robb, Diana Gabaldon, Laurie R. King, J.A. Jance, Nevada Barr, etc. Okay, Could tell it was written by several authors.
Barbara Ghylin
I am sure I will finish this one later today. It has been fun to watch how the different writers has continued the story.
Drew
Quite enjoyed, would read another of this multiple author type. It's fun to imagine each one deciding what to do based on the previous chapters
Jen
This book was wonderful! Each chapter written by a different author and it was funny, suspenseful, awe-inspiring! To be able to write a chapter based on the characters, clues and information that the previous author had written and each chapter gave a new twist! Kudos to Laurie R. King for being able to pull it all together at the end. Wow! Agatha would be proud of these ladies! Plus, I get to add 8 new authors to my list of authors to read! It was fun for me to read the five authors I've read b...more
Mom
Can one give a 2.5 rating? I guess not and I will round up. It is a serial novel written by some of my favorite authors, but not edited as well as it could have been. Each author could have written less or they could have cut back an author. It began to drag toward the end and to get more and more contrived as each wanted to add a creative twist. A good concept with excellent writers, but ultimately it fell flat. Reminds me of the expression that a camel is a horse designed by a committee. A sho...more
Scilla
This is a serial novel, each chapter written by 13 female mystery writers. Caroline Blessing, married to a newly elected Tennessee congressman, with her newly widowed mother, Hilda, to a very fancy Phoenix spa. She has never been close to her mother. The first night at the spa, the spa's owner, Hilda's college roommate, is murdered. Caroline finds out some things about her past, and her husband, and does some sleuthing. More murders and attempts occur. The book is fun and a quick read, but doesn...more
Sharon
I loved the concept of each author writing a chapter, which could and did cause some twists and turns. For me, the story lost some continuity because where one author attempted to make a character a sympathetic personality, the next would turn that character into the polar opposite. Tells me I get very engaged with the characters! Given the format, it was a pretty good tale and kudos to the last in the line who was left to mop up all the pieces and make them into a plausible ending.
J. Ewbank
Read another book one time that was similar to this in that a group of authors wrote the book, each one writing a chapter. It was disjointed at times, just like this one and was not as good as any one of the many authors could have written.

Unfortunately this is also true of this book. Don't think I will read another book that is written by a group of authors in this manner.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Betti
A book written by 12 (I think - maybe 13) different mystery authors - one for each chapter. It was a fun concept to consider and a fun book to read - surprisingly the story hung together very well and after the first page or two of each chapter, I totally forgot that there was a different author writing. I'd love to hear the authors talk about their experience and how the ending was like or not what they had imagined when writing their own chapter.
Conni Harness
Intriguing Serial Novel written by 13 mystery - writing authors which includes Diana Gabaldon (Outlander)!
Karen Sage
I've never read a book written by so many authors before....I enjoyed the twists and turns and wondered how I would write the next part if given the passages....it was entertaining!!
Mo
Only got this because J.D. Robb is one of the contributing authors. Interesting concept of having 13 different authors of similar genre contribute one chapter each to this murder mystery. It kind of fell flat for me, though. The characters, plot, & pacing didn't grip my attention. It wasn't completely bad, but it wasn't remarkable either.
Kimz Zahour
13 female authors, including J.D. Robb, each write a chapter of this murder mystery. I was very excited about the concept and some of the proceeds went to a breast cancer foundation. It must have been more fun for them to write than it actually was to read. Most of the styles did blend well together but in the end it was just okay.
Denise Link
What fun! Each chapter of this mystery is written by a different female author. You can almost feel them setting each other up, laying clues that writers of subsequent chapters will have to sort out and acount for. I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure. And I met some authors new to me whose writing I'll be seeking out.
Lauren
This is a serial novel, with each chapter written by a different author (Nevada Barr, Faye Kellerman, J.D. Robb, Anne Perry, etc.), and I believe the proceeds went toward breast cancer research.
I liked it very much -right up until the end, which didn't fit with the beginning and didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Jo
I wasn't sure if I wanted to read a serial novel, but so many of my favorite authors contributed to the book, so I took a chance on it. I am glad that I did. this book was highly entertaining while keeping me guessing as to who the murderer was. each author did a great job.
Nick
I loved the idea of this book. Each chapter written by a different author. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I though the characters were sometimes inconsistent, like some authors didn't really know them. Also by the end it was pretty far-fetched.
Karin
Jan 21, 2011 Karin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is the first book of it's kind to come to my attention and the idea of several writers writing one story together is really interesting.The story itsself was a bit weak but I thought it was a remarkable effort.
WK
This is one you read for the plot, but not in the usual way. Thirteen chapters written by thirteen authors (if I remember correctly), each trying to make it more difficult for the next author. Fun!
  • Silent Night  (includes In Death, #7.5)
  • Mothers and Daughters
  • Seeking Enlightenment... Hat by Hat: A Skeptic's Guide to Religion
  • Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon, #13)
  • No Rest for the Dead
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • River's End / Remember When / Angels Fall
Marcia Talley is the Agatha and Anthony award-winning author of DEAD MAN DANCING and six previous mysteries featuring amateur sleuth, Hannah Ives who, like the author, is a breast cancer survivor.

Marcia is author/editor of two star-studded collaborative novels, NAKED CAME THE PHOENIX and ID KILL FOR THAT set in a fashionable health spa and an exclusive gated community, respectively. Her short sto...more
More about Marcia Talley...
Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1) I'd Kill For That Unbreathed Memories (Hannah Ives Mystery, #2) A Quiet Death (Hannah Ives #10) Occasion of Revenge (Hannah Ives Mystery, #3)