The Best of Ray Bradbury: The Graphic Novel

The Best of Ray Bradbury: The Graphic Novel

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Over a period of four years, from l992-1996, the world's best comic book artists adapted sf Grand Master Ray Bradbury's best stories in a series of different graphic novel formats. Now, for the first time, the best of these stories by the illustrators comics fans crave are collected in a single affordable volume. Each story is accompanied by an introduction by Bradbury.
Published August 31st 2003 by ibooks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Ray Bradbury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Ray Bradbury

Jason
I absolutely loved these short stories! Some of them were familiar and others were new to me. I was enthralled by the beautiful coloring and artwork as it truly seemed to help the stories come alive. For anyone who has read Bradbury, you'll know that his stories can stand on their own without any fillers. So to flesh these amazing stories out in full color was quite a treat to read!
Jourdan Cameron
I feel a little guilty having neglected the wonderful medium that is the graphic novel; after reading The Best of Ray Bradbury, I promised myself that I'd enjoy more comics.

The Best of Ray Bradbury is a collection of some of Mr. Bradbury's most beloved stories illustrated as comics- Golden Apples of the Sun, Come Into My Cellar and The City are some of the standouts of the collection.

The stories, for the most part, are short pieces of science fiction/fantasy interspersed with gripping drama- it'...more
PJ
I've never read anything by Bradbury, but I really enjoyed all of the stories. I didn't really like some of the art, but all of it did a good job of making sure that the story was the important part.
Mark Oppenlander
This is a collection of Ray Bradbury short stories as reimagined by well respected graphic novelists. At a glance, this seems like a great idea. Bradbury's poetic style seems to cry out for imagery. And some of these adaptations are very nicely done and include very nice, evocative images.

The trouble for me is that I have read all of these stories before, some of them multiple times. So to read these words again and have new images juxtaposed on top of them was at times disruptive. Did I need a...more
Lois
Sep 05, 2008 Lois rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bradbury fans,classic sci-fi fans,comic book fans
The Best of Ray Bradbury contains illustrated adaptations of some of Ray Bradbury's most famous stories. The text and the art unquestionably captures the essence of these classic science fiction tales from the 1960's. The language and clothing reflect the time period, and are not modernized. Reading it, I felt as if I was holding a yellowed paperback published in the 1970's. Definitely authentic.

The art for each story is unique. No artist's style is the same. Best of all, Bradbury (who is still...more
Stephanie
I had previously read all of these stories as short fiction, but they're very nice in graphic novel form as well. They short story versions are all better in my opinion, but it is really interesting to see them in panels too. My favorites in this are "A Sound of Thunder", which is beautifully adapted, and "Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed" which is completely gorgeous. To be fair, these are two of my favorite Bradbury stories, but the artists who turned them into comics did such an excellent job....more
Lisa Rathbun
I enjoyed all the different styles of art, really amazing and varied. I did think some of the stories were confusing; I would prefer to have read ALL of the stories in the original and then read the graphic novel to further enhance my enjoyment or contemplation of the story. Bradbury writes the intro and gives a brief intro to each story: really cool.
J.w. Schnarr
Ray Bradbury is a master of the short form in fiction, there's no question. Pairing him up with artists to create stunning new visions of his masterpieces is a no-brainer for a great graphic novel. A lot of my favourite stories are in here, and a few of my less-favourites, but overall well worth the read and definitely recommended.
Benjamin
A first rate collection of short stories from the SF godfather with illustrations from such luminaries as P. Craig Russel and Dave Gibbons. This is a can't-go-wrong kind of selection, I would recommend it to anyone.
Ingrid Hardy
I was a bit skeptical about these classics being turned visual, but the artwork from different artists is all wonderful, and each artist adds a particular flavor to each story. I'm glad I have this one in print.
Andrea
Here are some of Bradbury's best short stories in comic/graphic novel form. While I didn't like a few of the art styles, most were great adaptations -- Bradbury's stories really translate well in the comic medium.
Kaye
A couple of the stories deserved 5's, but the majority of them were kind of lame. So, overall, I will give this volume an "okay".
Breck
I like reading Ray Bradbury, so it was cool to see some of his shorts stories in graphic novel format.
Tim
Mike Mignola illustrating "The City?" Yes, please.
Redcaplf
Redcaplf is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Devero
Devero marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Henry de Malmanche
Henry de Malmanche marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Danielle Nelson
Danielle Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Becky Frost
Becky Frost marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Angel O,
Angel O, marked it as to-read
Valerie Doherty
Valerie Doherty marked it as to-read
Adam Dalgliesh
Adam Dalgliesh marked it as to-read
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Lukas Holmes
Lukas Holmes marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Charlotte Yip
Charlotte Yip marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Leah Aboav
Leah Aboav marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 3 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #3)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Nostradamus Ate My Hamster
  • Doctor Who: Fugitive (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Tenth Doctor - Tony Lee Series, #1)
  • Space Boy
  • Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know
  • Revolver
  • Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Rice Boy
  • Martha Washington Goes to War
  • Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow?
  • The Supernaturalist: The Graphic Novel
  • The Originals
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
  • It Was the War of the Trenches
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)