Start by marking “The Black Throne” as Want to Read:
The Black Throne

The Black Throne

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  16 reviews
An alternate history story featuring a famous literary figure ... Edgar Allen Poe.
Hardcover, SF Book Club edition, 278 pages
Published 1991 by Baen Publishing (first published October 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Throne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Throne

Michael McClung
I don't know if I can do this. It was painful to read; how much more painful will it be to write about? But my conscience tells me I must, lest someone else accidentally picks up this book under the impression that it might actually readable. Do not, I beg you! Learn from my mistake!

You would think that when Roger Zelazney and Fred Saberhagen get together to write a book it would be worth reading. I mean, these are two of the biggest names in science fiction and fantasy. Zelazney rose to immorta
Ty
I am starting to wonder if reviewing fantasy paperbacks is even worth it. Just about every single one I have ever picked up has suffered from the same problems.

A band of some sort, complete with a short ugly strong guy, a thin, sexy woman, an animal or two and a protagonist of some sort come together and discover whatever maguffin they need to retrieve. What follows is several hundred pages of barely (or not at all) connected vignettes that must contain violence and magic of some sort, each conv
Martin
What a mess. Much of the book takes place in dreamlike settings because characters are moving back and forth between 3 or 4 planes of existence. Much of the action is propelled without an engine, it just sort of happens, characters just know things, when its convenient they magically communicate across miles and dimensions, sometimes as vague feelings and sometimes as full conversations. Some steampunks will probably like it anyhow, as it has inexplicable steampunk elements.

The Zelazny co-author
Иван Величков
Разкощна книга на тандема Зелазни-Саберхаген, писана в памет на Едгар Алан По.
Главният герой е самият По, който попада в алтернативен свят, където героите и ситуациите от неговите разкази и романи са действителността. Историята се преплита и с нашата вселена по времето на писателя и неговата биография. Вдна различна, среща със старите любими произведения на класика в жанра написана от други двама майстори в него.
Прочетох няколко ревюта тук и мога да кажа, че ако не сте фенове на Е.А.По и не сте
Stuart
The concept is good, but unfortunately the book isn't. It initially promises to be something like a Tim Powers story, but never really achieves either the clever world-building of Powers, or much of anything else.

There's a bit of ingenuity in the way that the authors manage to pack in so many references to Poe stories, but unfortunately none of these develops into anything. The characters whose peculiar backgrounds are drawn from Poe never go beyond being plot devices, the scenes that allude to
Alazzar
I probably would have given this 3.5 stars (and rounded it up to 4), but after reading a few Goodreads reviews I sort of came to agree with them on some matters. (Particularly about the ending being sorta lackluster.)

On the one hand, I loved seeing all the Poe references because I like Poe. On the other hand, there were times during which I felt like we were straight-up reenacting a Poe story without any real change; this made the book, unfortunately, a little predictable. (And it sorta made it
Daniel
I admit that I struggled some with this book at the beginning, but I believe that this is because Zelazny tends to start a story right in the middle, forcing the reader to catch up to him.

I am not at all familiar with Fred Saberhagen, so I'm not sure what his influences are with this book.

Once I was caught up with the story, this was the type of read that is difficult to put down. I always wanted to read 'just one more chapter.'

Although the book managed to hold my interest through to the end, th
Joel Flank
The Black Throne by Roger Zelazny and Fred Saberhagen is a quirky book by two of science fiction's masters. The story is based around the question, "What if all of Edgar Allen Poe's stories and poems were based on fact?" In this case, the book features a Poe that is from an Earth that has elements such as trained orangutans, mesmerism, magic, alchemy, pits and pendulums, masques of the red death, and more. Unfortunately for Poe, he is switched with his real world Earth analog, a soldier named Ed ...more
Elliot Fleming
I hated reading this. I'm a fan of Saberhagen's Berserker stories and Dracula series, but I gave up on the Swords series. I loved Zelazny's early writing and the Corwin half of the Amber books, and thought the Merlin stories disappointing. So this is two inconstant geniuses writing a pastiche of a third inconstant genius, Edgar Allan Poe. It serves no one well, especially the reader. Others have commented on the story, the characters, and the writing, roundly berating all. This reads as though t ...more
Morgan
Reasonably good science-fantasy book (dealing with psychic powers and parallel worlds) interspersed with a lot of Edgar Allen Poe references. (Poe even features as a character in the novel and is the thematic inspiration). Entertaining, and has a lot of hallmarks of both Zelazny's and Saberhagen's styles.
Kathy
Roger Zelazny writing about Edgar Allan Poe? These are two of my favorite authors, so I figured what the heck? I appreciate the unique approach of suggesting that Poe based his stories on actual events in some kind of alternate universe. And it almost works, but not quite. At least not for me.
Howard Brazee
I love Zelazny & like Saberhagen, and like Poe, but this dreamlike book didn't work for me.
Mark
Based on the concept that Edger Allen Poe writing stories from visions he was seeing of an alternate reality that he was actually from. Fun but somewhat dark, but look it is about Poe so go figure.
Paradoxhorizon
It's a weird adventure that uses settings, characters and events from the works of Edgar Allen Poe and weaves them together into something fun and strange. I cannot help liking it.
William
A rather bizarre novel featuring Edgar Allan Poe, a goldbug, a raven, Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether, a pit and a pendulum, a cask of amontillado, etc.
Richard Gombert
Not a bad book.
Enjoyed all the EA Poe scattered throughout.
Chaneilfhios
Chaneilfhios marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Froxis
Froxis marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Sinistias
Sinistias marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Jul 08, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Larisa Bachinskaya
Larisa Bachinskaya marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
ee
ee marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
John
John added it
Jun 07, 2015
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • The Stardance Trilogy (#1-3)
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • The Trouble with Humans
  • The Run to Chaos Keep (Quintara Marathon, #2)
  • Resurgence (Heritage Universe, #5)
  • The Warding of Witch World (Witch World Series 4: Secrets of the Witch World, #3)
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels d ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...
Nine Princes in Amber The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) Lord of Light The Courts of Chaos The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2)