Start by marking “The Lotus Eaters” as Want to Read:
The Lotus Eaters

The Lotus Eaters

2.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In Beverley Hills in 1998, British celebrity interviewer Lottie meets Patty Belle, a minor Hollywood actress. In the scorching heat, as she drinks her Virgin Mary and her companion sips champagne, Lottie immediately recognises and responds to Patty Belle's magnetic appeal. But they are not to meet again until many months later back in London, when they become flatmates.

Pat
Published March 1st 2007 by William Heinemann

To ask other readers questions about The Lotus Eaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lotus Eaters

Xueqi Teo
I was intrigued by the title - The Lotus Eaters t first, started reading and couldn't exactly stop because most of the time, I was extremely irritated by Patty. The things she did and how she behaved reminded me of how the Pretty always get what they want just because they look good.

I didn't stop reading because I wanted to know how things would end for Patty. Also, I sympathized Lottie too much - being used by Patty without knowing, never getting the attention she deserves, having her attracti
Rj Resurreccion

(view spoiler)

Mary Winchester
First of all..call me a noob but I have no idea why this was called The Lotus Eaters. After searching this book up on Goodreads, I was wary of how good it was. It didn't have many reviews, and the ratings weren't very high (anything under 3 isn't high to me.) so I wasn't too sure but I figured I'd give it a go and contribute to the low amount of reviews.

This book was set in the late, late 1900's. Like 1998-99. Lottie was a sweet girl, I felt pretty sorry for her, (I won't spoil too much why) esp
Christina
Feb 16, 2009 Christina rated it did not like it
I don't usually write my reviews so soon after starting a new book, but this one is especially nagging at me.

First of all, Holly Golightly is terribly offended that Patty Belle could even be considered a worthy comparison. I loved Breakfast At Tiffany's, and thought it was a brilliant character sketch of such a unique woman. The Lotus Eaters feels like it's trying too hard to follow in Capote's shoes. Marianne MacDonald attempts to keep the narrator impassive, a quiet observer so that the star
Hilary
Apr 14, 2014 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Not one I would recommend. It was ok, but not particularly interesting. A bit soap opera-like, but with less drama. Basically the story of a woman with one of those train wreck friends that we all have at some point in our lives.
Emi Maria
Mar 17, 2016 Emi Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: am-literature, owned
This book is a total mistake. Didn't manage to read the whole. The heroin is, unlike what the publisher's words suggest, a characterless, boring lady. The reader just gets tired of all the repetitions that this book contains. The language is just hilarious, and the dialogues - amazingly soporific. I strongly suggest for the author to start doing for living everything else but writing.
Bill
Oct 30, 2014 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of the train wreck story lines with characters you can't really ignore. I kept returning to the paperback tale of Patty and Lotties spiral while on holiday in Spain between sleepless nights and lazy beach afternoons.
I persevered through the vague storytelling and though I don't regret the time spent, I'd urge others to try something else.
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Anna Jursik
Anna Jursik rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Rose Nicholson
Rose Nicholson rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Dragana
Dragana rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Lani
Lani marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2013
Laura Lacey
Laura Lacey rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Jade
Jade rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2012
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2011
Tara Copeland
Tara Copeland rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2011
Aurora
Aurora added it
Nov 13, 2010
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2010
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2009
MARIANNE MACDONALD was born in the lumber town of Kenora, Northern Ontario, and grew up in Winnipeg and Montreal. Her first children's book was published when she was 16. She took her BA at McGill University, then went to Oxford for graduate studies in English. For thirty years she pretended to be an academic, acquiring various degrees and teaching at universities in Canada and England. She left t ...more
More about Marianne Macdonald...

“It’s funny, how you realize things too late. Someone once said to me the tragedy about life is that you understand it backwards. But I don’t think so. I think the tragedy about life is there is no tragedy - you just don’t know it till you die.”
— Patty Belle Bellani”