Start by marking “Harvard's Secret Court: The Savage 1920 Purge of Campus Homosexuals” as Want to Read:
Harvard's Secret Court: The Savage 1920 Purge of Campus Homosexuals

Harvard's Secret Court: The Savage 1920 Purge of Campus Homosexuals

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In 2002, a researcher for The Harvard Crimson came across a restricted archive labeled "Secret Court Files, 1920." The mystery he uncovered involved a tragic scandal in which Harvard University secretly put a dozen students on trial for homosexuality and then systematically and persistently tried to ruin their lives.

In May of 1920,Cyril Wilcox, a freshman suspended from Ha
Published October 31st 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Harvard's Secret Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvard's Secret Court

The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Secret History by Donna TarttBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughFranny and Zooey by J.D. SalingerWhite Noise by Don DeLillo
Campus Days
209th out of 260 books — 140 voters
Little Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneA Prayer for Owen Meany by John IrvingThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
New England Books
297th out of 421 books — 216 voters

More lists with this book...

Evan
One lesson I gleaned in thinking about the events related in this book is: When in Rome, lie your fucking ass off. Especially if you happened to be a gay student at Harvard in 1920.

In the wake of the expulsion and suicide of gay undergraduate, Cyril Wilcox, in spring 1920, his infuriated older brother, Lester, blamed Harvard and its permissiveness in allowing a gay subculture that he claimed corrupted his young brother, leading to the tragedy. To quickly quell any scandal and purge the campus of
Laura Hughes
The story of the "secret court" that attempted to purge Harvard of the homosexual blight in 1920 is totally up my alley as an connoisseur of early-20th-century college gays. The story is interesting but I found the writing hard to like. I can't tell if it's because of the writer himself or because I don't really "get" academic historical writing, but to me, Wright seems to try to take a middle-ground approach where a choice would have worked better:

* Present the story, or the story of uncovering
Diane Schneider
This is a sad story, but unfortunately not one that is incredibly shocking. The author does a good job of balancing the narration with historical context and also relating events to the current climate. He focuses on the people involved and demonstrates the impact on the expelled students, which is, I think, more interesting and heartbreaking than the actual events of the court's proceedings. The best part of the book is the chapter in which the author discusses homophobia throughout history and ...more
Geoff
I’ve wanted to read this since a book group I was in when I first moved to Boston read it. They read it before I joined and I thought it sounded interesting. So keeping with my theme of expanding my reading (and apparently reading a lot more nonfiction) I requested it from the local library.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t impressed. This book felt more like a really well written undergraduate research paper than a book than a published book (and they were typos too). Part of this I believe comes from th
Mothwing
It's an account of the purges of gay students from the campus after the suicide of one of them that occurred in the nineteen-twenties. Very shocking, especially considering that the purges themselves led to more suicides and completely ruined the lives of the students in question. Not only did Harvard purge their names from the permanent records, they also sent out letters to explain why they dismissed this students if they chose to associate themselves with the university in any CV they wrote f ...more
Kate O'Hanlon
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wow. Just... wow.
This book made me bitterly aware of how only hindsight can really prove how backwards and cruel even our most liberal and forward-thinking institutions can be. A perfect lesson on why group-thought is bad, infectious and even murderous, and a perfect microcosmic prequel to McArthyism and Patriot Acts and detention camps. A virtual inquisition took place in one of America's higher institutions of class, virtue and education, and it resulted in suicides, beatings, ruined lives and a story with pre ...more
Richard Jespers
Scary scary tale of young men and faculty members at Harvard who were purged by a “court” of administrators including Laurence Lowell (heir to family of Lowell and Lawrence, Massachusetts). I don’t know why this fascinated me except that it seems our country is so ripe to go there once again. The author believes, though does little by way of logical argument, to propose that homophobia is due to genetic make-up—as is homosexuality itself (an idea which is supported by scientific study).
Russell Sanders
While this book was fascinating and informative, I found that I got weary, perhaps of the journalistic style. By the time I got to the last 40 pages, where the author decided to write a lengthy diatribe on homophobia, I gave up and just skimmed--and not too thoroughly at that. After that chapter, I returned to read--a bit more thoroughly--the account of how the scandal came to light in 2002.
Teniell
This book is a very compelling and detailed account of the interrogation and expulsion of seven gay Harvard students in 1920. The book gives some information as to the broader treatment of gay men in the early 20th century, but I would like to have seen more about the larger social context for gay men during this time period.

My biggest critique is that the author attempts to fill in many of the gaps in his research with details that make me question the validity of some descriptions. Also, the b
Ronald
A black mark on the history of Harvard. Fascinating and yet tragic to see the abuse of power. Only part I didn't enjoy was toward the end with theories and observations on homophobia,
Bill Huff
The topic was interesting but Wright struggles to craft the story by finding ways to inform the reader about the historical nonfiction facts of Harvard's secret court. And yet, he understands the need to make the story more captivating and personal and yet it is in his telling of the narratives of the many students involved that he fails to find his voice. It feels forced and disconnected at times and I struggled to connect with the characters and stories at several points in the book.
Catherine
Harvard has always seemed to be a bastion of liberal thought and human rights study. So I was quite understandably scandalized when I saw this book!

As Joyce Carol Oates said, this book is "disturbing and illuminating... reads like a tragic mystery from an era uncomfortably close to our own."

I loved reading this book -- if for no other reason that it provided insight into the queer underground of 1920s Cambridge/Boston. Excellent for summer reading!
Russell
Story needs to be told... But by a different author. Poorly written; nothing but speculation and spinning out single facts for multiple pages of gloss. Most of the time, alternate explanations seem more reasonable to me than the author's "opinion" about what probably happened. This book could have been a quarter the size and contain only facts, not judgments based on no more information than you have as the reader.
Timothy Lankford
Richard Wright does a phenomenal job of uncovering a secret long-held by Harvard's elite about the prestigious university's past. Wright explores Harvard's Secret Court from its origins to its after effects. Not only does he expand on the court, but he takes in-depth looks into the lives of those students, faculty, and community members affected by the court as well.
Mark Brown
I mean, trash talking Harvard is always fun in my book. This was interesting to read -sometimes a bit redundant but still I got the information on the time period. It was interesting to read about it but I wish it had more original sources in the material rather than his opinion of the resources. Read if you have some free time but its not pressing.
Jared Della Rocca
Poorly written, the secret court is covered in only the first third of the book. The second third is devoted to the after-effects and continual harassment of the students by Harvard. The final third are biographies of some of the individual students. It's a compelling story, but only in the hands of a better author.
CMolieri
This was enthralling and fascinating. In 1920 a young man on medical leave from Harvard committed suicide after telling his brother he was gay. His brother began hunting down and 'investigating' the circle of friends his brother had at Harvard which instigated a university investigation and purging.
Denis
A shocking true account of the purge that took place at Harvard in the twenties and whose purpose was to eliminate gay men - with tragic consequences. A cautionary tale about intolerance, ignorance in high places, and the misuse of power.
Rebbecca Caya
I loved this book because it chronicles the life of some of the men who's lives were totally disrupted by being expelled from Harvard in the 1920's for being involved in a "Homosexual Ring" or "Epidemic."
Jon
Excellent book for anyone interested in the sad history of the homosexual during American modernism.
Bob Haberski
Very scary to think Harvard was like this at one time. A very sad piece of history
Cory
I liked it but very slow to get through, a lot more historical than I originally thought.
Mike Ahern
Mike Ahern marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Angelo
Angelo marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Donna Austin
Donna Austin marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Elliott
Elliott marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
  • Sexual Politics, Sexual Communities: The Making of a Homosexual Minority in the United States, 1940-1970
  • Queering the Color Line: Race and the Invention of Homosexuality in American Culture
  • Sexy Origins and Intimate Things: The Rites and Rituals of Straights, Gays, Bis, Drags, Trans, Virgins, and Others
  • Love Stories: Sex between Men before Homosexuality
  • Greek Homosexuality
  • Conduct Unbecoming: Gays And Lesbians In The Us Military
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • Unspeakable Love: Gay and Lesbian Life in the Middle East
  • Virgins of Venice: Broken Vows and Cloistered Lives in the Renaissance Convent
  • Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims
  • The Persistent Desire: A Femme-Butch Reader
More about William Wright...
All the Pain Money Can Buy: The Life of Christina Onassis Pavarotti:  My World Born That Way: Genes, Behavior, Personality The Von Bulow Affair Heiress: The Rich Life Of Marjorie Merriweather Post