Start by marking “Culinaria Russia: Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan” as Want to Read:
Culinaria Russia: Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan

Culinaria Russia: Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Food and culture are inexorably tied together. Culinaria reports on every aspect of a country's cuisine within the context of the people who created it. Profusely illustrated with spectacular photography and abundantly peppered with authentic recipes, these volumes are a treat for both the mind and the palate.
Published November 1st 2008 by H.F. Ullmann (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Culinaria Russia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culinaria Russia

BoekenTrol
Jan 13, 2013 BoekenTrol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to cook and has an interest in (new) recipes from Eastern Europe
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: found it in the book store
For me this book is a trip down memory lane. The recipes in it are nice, but even better are the stories and pictures that form the background. I have expanded my amount of recipes and compared the ones I had (form locals) with the ones that I found here.

What surprised me most of all, is that adzhika is written down as bell-pepper sauce, while in the original that I saw being made in Tbilisi bell pepper was only a small ingredient. There they used red pepper / chilli peppers as main ingredient.
Cheri
This is my favorite set of cookbooks. These are like travel guides. Each region is carefully explained, and the food that region is known for is detailed. The pictures are exquisite. The books are so heavy that I have to get them down off the shelf for my mom and put her at the dining room table (as she's too little to hold these in her lap)! I have not made any of the recipes in the Russia book, as we didn't find anything that fit with our palate, but maybe after a trip there I will know what I ...more
Lisa
Jul 23, 2011 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Russia
Shelves: cooking
It confirms that my suspicions were right: cabbage, potatoes and beetroot are integral to Russian cuisine, and when we travel to Russia in 2012 I may starve if I can't pick the cabbage out of the dish - but this is a gorgeous book, full of fascinating information about the country and its history.
Nathan
Mar 11, 2008 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the hungry and adventurous
Recommended to Nathan by: Hillary
Ok, so I didn't actually read the whole thing. It's a cookbook... but with more pictures and article than usual. Beautiful, beautiful book. Brings back so many memories and answers so many questions. However, does not explain the Ukranian facination with aspic. Meat jello is not good, ever.
H L
The whole Culinaria series are really fine books; some good in-depth cultural history offers occasionally fascinating, and less often, mundane insights into the culinary traditions of each region. If there were more recipes, I'd go 5 stars...
Doron Yam
A very good cooking book which reveals the secrets of these classic kitchens.

Blazejb
Blazejb is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Victor Wasilov
Victor Wasilov marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Lilia
Lilia marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Wee Cheng
Wee Cheng is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Ng Xian
Ng Xian marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Andrew Paul
Andrew Paul marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Holly Brown
Holly Brown marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Palicz Gyorgy
Palicz Gyorgy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Nattha
Nattha marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Culinaria Spain Culinaria Spain (Culinaria Series) Culinaria Spain: Cuisine. Country. Culture Unknown Book 3072887 Culinaria Russia