Start by marking “The Murderous Urges of Ordinary Women” as Want to Read:
The Murderous Urges of Ordinary Women

The Murderous Urges of Ordinary Women

This rollicking novel chronicles the comic adventures of four old friends who take up Vengeance as their mid-life hobby the way other women might take up the autoharp or learn Portuguese. Call them the Book Group from Hell.
Published June 30th 2008 by Certain Age Press (first published November 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Murderous Urges of Ordinary Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murderous Urges of Ordinary Women

Emily
Mar 28, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, humor
I'm rather disappointed with this book because I love the concept - the murderous urges of ordinary women. The first 20 pages or so were fine but after that it was like a free for all. It seemed like the author had four storylines she wanted to write and since she couldn't decide between them, she shoved them all into this book. The book ends up being a hodgepodge of stories and once you near the end, they don't have anything to do with the main characters. The book started with definite ...more
Jim
Aug 25, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
I realize I'm off the bell curve for this book's target audience but the title and first chapter or so grabbed me. What I hoped would be the mis-adventures of a band of middle-age women who are mad as hell and not going to take it anymore, collapsed into vignettes concerning the hi-jinks of the individual members. The interplay between the four is what raised a smile and made the potential for mischief evident. Meltzer has a good eye and humorous way with the pen; there are many clever bits ...more
Ellen
May 26, 2014 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Towanda times 4! I am reminded of the character in "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe", when the lady rear ended the young bitches car over and over again. These four ladies are truly diabolical. I love the fact that they show other middle aged ladies ( through their website) how to get a bit of their own back from the jerks of the world. I love it!!!!
Renee
Aug 16, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoys fun
Recommended to Renee by: Miriam Michael
As those who read my reviews and see my reading list know, I normally read little fiction, but sometimes a great referral comes along for a book that makes me take a break from my non-fiction diet. Like a double chocolate for chocolate lovers’ and hazelnut layer cake or a perfectly browned Crème Brulee should not be resisted now and again—so too a really fun fiction should be enjoyed occasionally as well.
This book “The Murderous Urges of Ordinary Women” is just such a book. It made me laugh and
Judith
Dec 05, 2009 Judith rated it it was amazing
Author Lois Meltzer's book was a delight to stumble upon. The recommendation had travelled to my women's book group via word of mouth, and the belly laughter during our meeting could be heard down the block I'm sure. We middle-aged women recognized ourselves and the (usually) suppressed desire for revenge when we are marginalized or made invisible by people who underestimate us. Who would suspect a middle-aged woman of kidnapping a Supreme Court Justice? No one, which is why one of these women ...more
Shelley Silver
Nov 11, 2009 Shelley Silver rated it really liked it
A real hoot! A friend lent me this book, telling me to save it for some time when I was feeling depressed, because it would make me laugh out loud.
More a collection of linked stories than a traditional novel, "Murderous Urges" is many cuts above the usual run of "hen lit," Meltzer has an original comic voice, a sharp, satiric eye, and intelligence up the kazoo..
The chapter about the love crazed granny kidnapping a Supreme Court Justice (think Scalia), and force feeding him in her basement is
Katherine
Aug 15, 2014 Katherine rated it liked it
I love the name of the publisher: Certain Age Press, which is located in Seattle WA, thank you very much. When I began this book, I thought "Oh, this is a good one" but the style began to irritate me after a while. I liked that it was about women of a certain age, and it was a very quick read, but the book is disjointed. At the end of each chapter is an italicized section which I couldn't figure out at first (and still not sure but I think it was postings to their website, after the deed was ...more
Lisa
Dec 23, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
A friend got this for me this year for Christmas......just because I told her about a little daydream I had about assaulting a guy with a ball point pen. Didn't do it, of course. This looks hilarious!

And it was pretty funny, especially the beginning. Quite a bit of f-bombing, so much so that it felt a bit odd to be reading it at a high school wrestling match (where, admittedly, the f-bombing was going on all round, not just in the book). Quick, light read, room for expansion, sequels, etc. It pr
Joan
Dec 14, 2010 Joan rated it really liked it
First of all, word play aplenty. Among the nicknames for a big girl...Elephant...then you find out her name is Ellie.

Written to support Margaret Mead's comment, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, nothing else never has."

At the moment I am enjoying the unfolding of an "infomercial" in production for a slimeball plastic surgeon. He thinks it is a wonderful idea. We already know where it is going, but what a ride.

The writer is an attorn
Barbara Alpert
Feb 08, 2010 Barbara Alpert rated it it was amazing
A friend group finds a way to turn the downside of being a certain age into hilarious and oh-so-satisfying adventures. Each of the characters gets to shine and, taking cues and courage from each other, each friend finds her own bold outlet for action. The TV info-advert, the judge who thrives in captivity are laugh out loud parts of this fact-fiction-fantasy world. All told with Meltzer's inimitable elan.
Becca
Jul 26, 2012 Becca rated it it was ok
Meltzer thinks she is far wittier than she actually is, as evidenced by her over-the-top author bio and oddball plot. She also seems to see herself as one of the invisible middle-aged women she describes in this book, trying so hard to be noticed. In theory this could have been a good book, but I found it more whiny and self-deprecating than anything.
Nancey
May 21, 2014 Nancey rated it it was ok
It was a fun fluffy really quick read. It reminded me a little of Carl Hiassen's Nature Girl and her getting even with telemarketers. Completely unrealistic. As a woman over 50, I can understand the feeling of invisibility but I seem to experience more being the approachable safe person to ask a question. It happens everywhere. Safe, invisible oh well, I ok with it.
L
Jan 23, 2016 L rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Parts of the book were okay, but there were so many characters telling a serious of short stories inside a larger story that I never connected with any of them. I liked the premise of the book, which is that middle aged women can get away with crimes because no one will suspect or notice them. The first two chapters or so of the story were funny but after that I got really bored with this book.
L.F. Falconer
Dec 01, 2012 L.F. Falconer rated it it was ok
Shelves: purchased
Being an ordinary woman of "the age", there were parts of this book that I could really relate to. It was amusing in spots, and overall fairly entertaining. A bit hard to keep up with having to get into the minds of so many different characters though.
Jill Warner
Wonderful book... a more literate Janet Evanovich ! Meltzer captures the fantasies of us "ripe" ladies if we were the karma monitors of life. "MUOW" is a clever spin on a group of bright, interesting, no-longer-taut ladies, helping keep Darwin's theory alive ! Don't miss this hilarious read !
San
May 21, 2012 San rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
A bit fluffy but fun nonetheless. I thought the principle was entertaining but I did quibble with the lawyer being involved in copyright infringement - but I suspect that's just me. Would make a good beach read.
Elise
Jul 27, 2010 Elise rated it liked it
Loved the title AND the book cover. It's an updated hybrid of "First Wives Club" and "Fried Green Tomatoes." Some funny characters, some a little too tritely written, but still enjoyable entertainment.
Amanda
Jun 04, 2013 Amanda rated it did not like it
So wanted to like this book and it fell way short. I thought it was supposed to be funny and I barely snickered. The writing was all over the place and I didn't bond with any characters. Not recommended.
Julie
Jul 20, 2009 Julie rated it it was ok
So far so good. A very simple read. After a few hours I am almost done. Interesting enough so far, although a bit far-fetched/corny.

Well, I never did finish the last chapter and now I can't find it. Tells you how much I cared...
Kerri
May 21, 2014 Kerri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-read
Quick and funny laugh out loud in public type of read. I think this is the foretelling of my book club group...
Allison
Tedious, not the best writing although I'm sure the author has it in her, got 1/4 through, said "who cares?" and gave it away.
Kay
Apr 26, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it
Irreverent, yes, but this is fiction! It gives us older ladies some satisfaction in our state of invisibility in society. Delicious!
Janice
Feb 08, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
I liked the book for its humorous insightful look at women. At least I felt.like I could relate to the women telling their tales. Fun and quick read.
Toni Stergion stergiou
Jun 02, 2013 Toni Stergion stergiou rated it did not like it
Great title and vision for book How ever fell short.... Maybe if I was older??? Would recommend ..:(
Sandra
Oct 23, 2009 Sandra rated it it was ok
The plot of the book sounded like fun and the first chapter or so were funny but then it got less and less fun and I had a hard time getting through the rest of the book.
Rita
Jan 30, 2010 Rita rated it really liked it
A fun quick read for us 50 plus types. Set me to wondering what we might be able to quietly change if we set our collective efforts to work.
Jeanne
Feb 03, 2012 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Entertaining, but a bit repetitious. Think these would been better condensed as a series of short stories/essays.
Shawn
Aug 29, 2012 Shawn rated it it was ok
The premise of the book was funnier, to me, than the actual book. The moral of this story is an important one, though: it's a mistake to ignore women over 50.
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
  • The Sensationally Absurd Life and Times of Slim Dyson
  • Key Weird
  • Ladies of the Lake
  • Fat Chance
  • Tales From Little Lump - Night of the Undead Snow Monkeys (Tales From Little Lump #2)
  • Lost Homicidal Maniac: (Answers to "Shirley") (Andrew Mayhem #4)
  • Eville
  • My Goat Ate Its Own Legs: Tales for Adults
  • Grandma?
  • Kittysaurus Rex (Kittysaurus, #1)
  • Groucho Marx and Other Short Stories and Tall Tales: Selected Writings
  • Chihuahua Karma
  • Survival of the Fattest (Fat Vampire, #6)
  • Delightfully Twisted Tales: Fire, Fangs and Brimstone (Volume Two)
  • Taps:  A Novel
  • Snodgrass Vacation
  • A Family Reunion  (Charon Family, #1)