Start by marking “¡Yotsuba! Vol. 4 (Yotsuba&! #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
¡Yotsuba! Vol. 4
Kiyohiko Azuma

¡Yotsuba! Vol. 4 (Yotsuba&! #4)

4.55  ·  Rating Details ·  2,847 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Having already tackled such diverse topics as cicadas and global warming, Yotsuba is back and ready to face a whole new set of challenges. See as she strives to master the complexities of rock-paper-scissors! Feel as she becomes one with the water during a weekend of fishing. Be confused as she tries to get money from strangers to buy her groceries! The mayhem continues in ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Turtleback Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about ¡Yotsuba! Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ¡Yotsuba! Vol. 4

This is going to sound extremely cheesy, but this manga makes me realize how precious life is. Yotsuba's amazement at the simplest things makes me realize how everything is just so full of wonder and excitement. We take so much of our life for granted. I really wish I could have had a childhood like Yotsuba has. Kids that sit around playing video games have no idea what they're missing! Going fishing, making your own newspaper... This is the ideal childhood.
10 May 2013

Oh, Yotsuba, how I love thee . This series makes me happier than a fat kid swimming in ice cream. Yotsuba&!, Vol. 04 had me laughing so much I swear I almost peed myself. Someone, please make this into an anime!

This volume is probably one of my favorites in the series thus far. From the adorable cover to all of Yotsuba's hilarious expressions, this is a book I want to cuddle up to bed with every single night because it gives me joy like unicorns and rainbows.

As usual, the entire v
2 Spooky Sarah
Oct 18, 2010 2 Spooky Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
Originally posted here at Anime Radius.

There is only one constant thing that runs throughout each release of Yotsuba&! and that is fun. The manga is always fun to read and something odd yet interesting is always going on in the life of the young girl Yotsuba. Volume four is no less fun or funny than the previous volumes, and the fact that it has such a consistent quality running through its releases is by itself something to celebrate. A humor series that is always funny, every time? Sign me
Ruba AlTurki
Oct 31, 2010 Ruba AlTurki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chapters: 22,23,24,24.5,25,26,27.
Yotsuba is the cutest girl ever. I want to have a daughter just like her when a get older and married!
This girl always wonders about every thing around her and make you feel the miracles in this life for every little thing .
she went Fishing with her father and friends ,she make Dinner with her father and had fun at the super market before that , she learned about love and the broken hearts , she finely knew what's the Tsukutsuku-boushi really is !
I just love this series! Had the 4th volume on my ereader and decided to read it before sleep (never stick to my TBR...=D).
It was just as hilarious, as the 1st volume. Want to continue reading this manga series asap.=)
Oct 28, 2015 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this volume, we are treated to more madcap adventures with the spunky and fun Yotsuba. The story is laugh out loud funny, and the art is right on point. In this novel, Yotsuba gets some ice cream, helps her neighbor deal with heartbreak and she learns how to fish. Can't wait for the next one!
Sep 28, 2009 Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She's just so darn precious.
Apr 29, 2009 Kricket rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2009
cute cute cute.
Oct 18, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes it sweet
My favorite collection so far. Highly recommended.

I totally identified with Miura at every step in the "Fishing" episode.

Azuma really handled Ena's heartbreak—starting midway and resurfacing near the end—with extra-special care: Yotsuba's mishandling of it provided the much needed comedy relief for Asagi's callousness.

Must one choose between being a milkman or a paperman?

Concluding with a full-blown "Tsukutsukuboshi" tale was super delicious (ie, like a curry). Yotsuba's drawing of her deserve
Oct 12, 2016 Grg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuuka's dad: "I will not forgive the boy who gave you heartbreak." Me either!
Ahmad ameen
Feb 27, 2013 Ahmad ameen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Bored with all those anachronistic action filled stories, just want to relax and enjoy a simple and very funny book. Well, I suggest Yotsuba&. It’s a manga (Japanese comic book) that revolves around a five or six year old somewhat benevolent and energetic girl, and her adventures in her new neighborhood in Japan with her friends and her diligent dad.

Yotsuba is an orphan from another island but only Jumbo (family friend) and her dad knows. Yotsuba’s neighbors Asagi (college stude
Nov 06, 2011 Nicol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hahaha! My humor is that of a nine year old so I really laugh out loud at all of the Yotsuba! stories. The author really nails the imagination of little kids in this painfully honest character. The whole explaining everyday concepts to them that goes right over their heads anyway is so familiar that I feel like I'm reading scenes out of my own life as a parent...My favorite chapter in here is when Yotsuba and her dad go to the store and he forgets his wallet. Yotusuba thinks that means they're g ...more
Lynn Schlatter
Please bear with me as I take this occasion to talk about one of the things about children that drives us nuts: the fact that they need us to be grown-ups most of the time, even when we don't have all the answers, or don't want to behave consistently, or we want to be silly. Other adults can handle our occasional lack of maturity, but it wreaks havoc with the kids who believe every word we say and don't filter their responses at all.

In Yotsuba&! volume 1, Asagi made a remark to Yotsuba abou
Elaine Lin
May 30, 2010 Elaine Lin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is the best Manga series i ever read. Yotsuba is just this little, adorable girl that has the best experiences. She's learning a lot more about the world but in the strangest ways. She learned how to make dinner for her and her dad with the help of her dad. Although it didn't come out nice or close to perfect, her dad was fine with it and they had a nice dinner. I find it so cool how she does such crazy things but everyone finds it cute (i do too) but it's wild. She was going to the ...more
Marissa Dame
Page Count: 199

4.5 Stars
PG for name calling
Recommend to 10&up

Yotsuba is a cute, clean manga for all ages. In this book she goes fishing, play rock-paper-scissors, and more! The artwork is well done in this novel, and pretty well detailed. I may have liked book #1 or #5 better, but I am not sure why. I liked the chapter where Yotsuba went to the grocery store. I love manga
Aug 22, 2007 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I adore the Yotsuba! books. They have a great innocence and sense of fun to them, as well as being very funny—and not in a way that is at someone else's expense. Well, okay, sometimes it is, but not in a mean way.

Anyway, in this fourth installment, I learned about an interesting variation on rock-paper-scissors which I am almost scared to try out (Yotsuba is not very good at it). The green-haired little monkey also goes fishing, helps her dad go shopping and cook dinner, dresses up as the tsukut
Swety Retna
Jun 10, 2013 Swety Retna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Yotsuba tries to play Rock paper scissors... ha ha :D and what a cruel Dad Koiwai is! He is really has no mercy for Yotsuba! that little girl is also very naive after all.. but that is the thing that makes this story interesting!
I love how the writer create the character for every person in this comic, just like Miura, who act boyish but afraid of so many girly things. Jumbo who is so plain and has a very kind heart, so easily moved. Koiwai is a very unreasonable person, ridiculous, and all but
Feb 14, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, slice-of-life
Quick thoughts: Badminton and fishing and shopping oh my. More fun with Yotsuba's unique view of the world. This volume has several subthreads appearing throughout the chapters, like Fuka's heartbreak and the end of Summer. There's even a chapter of 4-koma comics as the author experiments a bit with format.
Sophia F
Nov 03, 2013 Sophia F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awww! The beginning and the end were both worth a picture! Yotsuba is still as sweet and adorable as ever, and I find it absolutely hilarious how whenever she's bored or wants icecream, she goes over to the neighbors house!! XD
Her dad is awesome too, but I'm kind of scared of his parenting skills, (for example the beginning).
Continue to be awesome Yotsuba!
Jan 29, 2015 Nada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! I reached volume 4 already? I don't want to stop reading but at the same time I don't want to run out of volumes :'(
In this volume you'll notice that Yotsuba is growing up and she understands more now.
The chapter which in Fuuka got her heart broken and how Yotsuba stood by her ... hilarious!
Oct 01, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun! Single father trying to raise a little girl alone. Yotsuba reminds us what it is like to be a child when everything is brand new, everything is exciting, everything is worthy of a shout.
Ice cream is one of the greatest things in the world. Everything is possible and she wants to try it!
Oct 05, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost want to give this five stars just for the part where Yotsuba and her father go grocery shopping to find something "regular delicious" for dinner and her father forgets his wallet, so Yotsuba starts asking strangers for money. HILARIOUS.

Plus, Jumbo takes Yotsuba and the neighbor girls fishing, and Yotsuba starts publishing her own newspaper.
Jul 10, 2016 Diego rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En esta nueva (y gratificante) entrega, la pequeña Yotsuba continúa maravillándonos con su percepción del mundo que la rodea. Sin embargo, y a nivel personal, opino que la calidad y originalidad de las tramas se aleja un poco de los tomos anteriores (sobre todo en las últimas historias), no por ello dejando de maravillarnos a los lectores.
Shin Machine
Oct 02, 2012 Shin Machine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is probably the most fun and relaxing manga i have read....and believe me, i have read a lot. The setting of Yotsuba and its stories are so nice that readers would envy her for living with such fun people. I had a lot of laughs and grins, and the art is cute, too.
I was in a very angry mood before reading this but once i closed it i found myself smiling and with a lighter feeling. :)
Aug 20, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice. Is this the one with Tsuku Tsuku Boushi (a type of cicada that comes out at the end of Summer)? That section, with Yotsuba's confusion over what the Tsuku Tsuku Boushi actually, and the subsequent incomprehension of all around her, is very nicely handled.
Dec 09, 2015 Tazendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading #5 currently! Seriously, if I was in the mood for some manga, what could be better than Yotsuba&! to take me into a different new world??? I even learned some facts about Japan in Yotsuba&!, some of which I envy.

AWESOME!!! SO glad it EXISTS!!
Apr 21, 2011 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yotsuba always manages to make me laugh and she is one of the cutest characters in a manga ever (in my opinion). I think that all of the characters are awesome and I wish I were them (because the get to run around with yotsuba all day).
Dec 30, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
More laugh-out-loud funny adventures of Japan's weirdest five year-old. In this volume Yotsuba goes fishing, learns about young love, makes her own newspaper, and discovers the truth about cicadas. Can't recommend this series highly enough!
Apr 27, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, j-comics
I think I could read Yotsuba books forever and never get tired of them. How cute was it when she was dressed up as the tsukutsuku boshi?!...with her little triangle hat and triangle dress and sunflower wand...awww. I love Yotsuba!
Mark Dewey
Awesome. The series continues. This is a good one.

One thing I forgot to mention about previous volumes that also applies to this one is the Japanese sound effects. I don't know if most manga has those, but this series does, and it adds a lot of character.
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 3
  • Mushishi, Vol. 7
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 6
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 2
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story, #2)
  • Love★Com, Vol. 6
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 13: First Professional Match (Hikaru no Go, #13)
Kiyohiko Azuma (東清彦 or あずま きよひこ Azuma Kiyohiko) is a Japanese manga author and artist. His most well-known work is Azumanga Daioh. His current series is Yotsuba&!, which is serialized monthly in Dengeki Daioh magazine.
More about Kiyohiko Azuma...

Yotsuba&! (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 (Yotsuba&! #1)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02 (Yotsuba&! #2)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 03 (Yotsuba&! #3)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 05 (Yotsuba&! #5)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 06 (Yotsuba&! #6)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 07 (Yotsuba&! #7)
  • Yotsuba, tome 8 (Yotsuba&! #8)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 09 (Yotsuba&! #9)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 10 (Yotsuba&! #10)
  • ¡Yotsuba! Vol. 11 (Yotsuba&! #11)