Start by marking “A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House” as Want to Read:
A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House
Preview

A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  21 reviews
I was not elected to serve one party, but to serve one nation. The president of the United States is the president of every single American, every race and every background. Whether you voted for me or not, I will do my best to serve your interests, and I will work to earn your respect.

I will be guided by President Jefferson's sense of purpose: to stand for principle, to b
Published January 23rd 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Charge to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Charge to Keep

Damon Suede
Wow.

One is left wondering if the conservative machine that cranked out this extended brochuere actually believes any of this or if they just expect the moron majority to just buy these books and display thenm, since most don't actually read. This is animatronic prediential biography at its most robotic, insipid, and self-congratulatory. About as candid and honest as a playground bully standing "innocently atop a pile of unconcious "bystanders."

Never forget that Bush's arrival at the WHite HOuse
Brandon
Typically worthless campaign biography, full of things like, "And I guess I've always loved babies, grandmas, and America. If that disqualifies me from receiving your vote, then so be it; I refuse to budge from these principles."
Andrew
Politics aside, I have to say that I felt GWB had no issue with making this book understandable. And as a bonus (for my friend Nicole) there ARE actually big words in here (:P).

GWB takes us through his governorship, his brief ownership of a baseball team and some of his other life. In some respects, one could deem that this is Decision Points 0.5 because he also explained some of the decisions he made as Governor of Texas (as his book 'Decision Points' does as well [as President], but I have not
Christopher
this book was SO bad, yet i couldn't stop reading it. i read it in two days. it read like a long resume. highlighting all his good qualities, everything that has gone well in his career. the only time it addressed anything possibly negative was when it was something that had been well publicized, and so he addressed it to explain it away.
it was written while he was running for pres, so i guess in a sense it was like a long resume.
it did cause me to see bush as more of a human, and just some regu
Nika
I was not going to give this book so many stars, but then ha to admit that it was very well done. I have to say that he clearly explained where he was coming from with No Child Left Behind and Annual Yearly Progress. I get it now. I hate that it has exposed so much that was going wrong in our public schools. It makes it appear that these accountability programs themselves are failing, but I think many indivudual teachers are the ones who are failing.

I appreciate Bush, as all my friends already k
Chandler
Truthfully, I did like this book for the most part. Some parts were just boring, but I expected that a little. I did enjoy the narration by him and it was interesting to learn of the road that he took that actually led him to the White House. I have always loved the Bush family and have always thought that even though he made some mistakes as President (as they all do) that he did always love the people of this country and felt he was doing what was best for them. I feel like he is a true Americ ...more
Hannah
I started this book with no expections--only knowing that it was written by Bush and was less than 400 pages.
I can't remember a time before Bush's presidency. I do remember how eagerly I watched the election of 2004, and how sorry I was to see him leave. As such, I found it very interesting to read a [biography?] by him before he became the President of the United States. The book was easy to read and had lots of interesting information about his background and the decisions he made as the gove
Joel
Pointless.
George
Read this a long, long time ago as a new voter...seemingly preparing myself for my first responsibility. Read it, as I recall, alongside a Molly Ivins book in hopes of, maybe, having the two balance out. Ha. Neither was particularly good.
Ezra Hood
This was generally more interesting than I expected it to be; it's a campaign tract, but (like much of Bush's writing and speaking) it comes across as more sincere than polished. It's a great fault for a politician to have!
Andy Pullen
Feb 03, 2008 Andy Pullen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Autobiography by George W. Bush, reveals his path to the White House and how God had prepared him to be President. Talks about his reliance on God to help him make decissions about America.
Julie
I liked learning more about Bush the person, but this was written as a lead-up to his presidential campaign, and I would have liked to read about his actual presidency.
Isaac
Fascinating in hindsight to read the words of the man who wanted to be president. Some valuable insights but mostly just a careful piece of campaign literature.
Tommy Burris
As a fan of W I must say I enjoyed this book. I like the way he walks you through his decisions and his reasons for what he did. GREAT BOOK
Tom
I really do not think with hisfamily background that W. was flipping fish in Alaska or selling ping pogs at Sears.
Beth
I may be biased because I LOVE "W", but this book made me love him more, and understand him more.
Ellie Revert
Just skimmed it. Realized I would prefer to read about him--if at all--by an objective outsider.
Katie
worth reading, nothing if not compelling.
Tracy
very very good reading
Maeve
I read this for work.
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Quentin
Quentin marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Lance Wilke
Lance Wilke marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals
  • The Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism
  • Heaven on Earth: The Rise and Fall of Socialism
  • Nixon Volume #2: The Triumph of a Politician 1962-1972
GEORGE W. BUSH is the 43rd President of the United States, serving from 2001 to 2009. He previously served as Governor of Texas. He and his wife, Laura, now live in Dallas, where they founded the George W. Bush Presidential Center at Southern Methodist University. President Bush is the author of 41: A Portrait of My Father and his previous book, Decision Points, is the bestselling Presidential mem ...more
More about George W. Bush...
Decision Points 41: A Portrait of My Father We Will Prevail: President George W. Bush on War, Terrorism and Freedom A Charge Kept: The Record of the Bush Presidency 2001 - 2009 George W. Bush Speaks to America