Start by marking “A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House” as Want to Read:
A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House

A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  224 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
I was not elected to serve one party, but to serve one nation. The president of the United States is the president of every single American, every race and every background. Whether you voted for me or not, I will do my best to serve your interests, and I will work to earn your respect.

I will be guided by President Jefferson's sense of purpose: to stand for principle, to b
Published January 23rd 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Charge to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Charge to Keep

Damon Suede
Feb 21, 2011 Damon Suede rated it did not like it
Wow.

One is left wondering if the conservative machine that cranked out this extended brochuere actually believes any of this or if they just expect the moron majority to just buy these books and display thenm, since most don't actually read. This is animatronic prediential biography at its most robotic, insipid, and self-congratulatory. About as candid and honest as a playground bully standing "innocently atop a pile of unconcious "bystanders."

Never forget that Bush's arrival at the WHite HOuse
Brandon
Feb 21, 2009 Brandon rated it it was ok
Typically worthless campaign biography, full of things like, "And I guess I've always loved babies, grandmas, and America. If that disqualifies me from receiving your vote, then so be it; I refuse to budge from these principles."
Andrew
Nov 28, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it
Politics aside, I have to say that I felt GWB had no issue with making this book understandable. And as a bonus (for my friend Nicole) there ARE actually big words in here (:P).

GWB takes us through his governorship, his brief ownership of a baseball team and some of his other life. In some respects, one could deem that this is Decision Points 0.5 because he also explained some of the decisions he made as Governor of Texas (as his book 'Decision Points' does as well [as President], but I have not
Christopher
Dec 13, 2007 Christopher rated it it was amazing
this book was SO bad, yet i couldn't stop reading it. i read it in two days. it read like a long resume. highlighting all his good qualities, everything that has gone well in his career. the only time it addressed anything possibly negative was when it was something that had been well publicized, and so he addressed it to explain it away.
it was written while he was running for pres, so i guess in a sense it was like a long resume.
it did cause me to see bush as more of a human, and just some regu
Nika
Nov 01, 2010 Nika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not going to give this book so many stars, but then ha to admit that it was very well done. I have to say that he clearly explained where he was coming from with No Child Left Behind and Annual Yearly Progress. I get it now. I hate that it has exposed so much that was going wrong in our public schools. It makes it appear that these accountability programs themselves are failing, but I think many indivudual teachers are the ones who are failing.

I appreciate Bush, as all my friends already k
Dan Alatorre
Nov 25, 2015 Dan Alatorre rated it it was amazing
A pretty darned good book by a man who will be regarded well by history, as opposed to his successor.
Chandler
Oct 24, 2009 Chandler rated it liked it
Truthfully, I did like this book for the most part. Some parts were just boring, but I expected that a little. I did enjoy the narration by him and it was interesting to learn of the road that he took that actually led him to the White House. I have always loved the Bush family and have always thought that even though he made some mistakes as President (as they all do) that he did always love the people of this country and felt he was doing what was best for them. I feel like he is a true Americ ...more
Hannah
Feb 14, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it
I started this book with no expections--only knowing that it was written by Bush and was less than 400 pages.
I can't remember a time before Bush's presidency. I do remember how eagerly I watched the election of 2004, and how sorry I was to see him leave. As such, I found it very interesting to read a [biography?] by him before he became the President of the United States. The book was easy to read and had lots of interesting information about his background and the decisions he made as the gove
Joel
May 17, 2014 Joel rated it it was ok
Pointless.
George
Read this a long, long time ago as a new voter...seemingly preparing myself for my first responsibility. Read it, as I recall, alongside a Molly Ivins book in hopes of, maybe, having the two balance out. Ha. Neither was particularly good.
Ezra Hood
Jun 12, 2011 Ezra Hood rated it liked it
This was generally more interesting than I expected it to be; it's a campaign tract, but (like much of Bush's writing and speaking) it comes across as more sincere than polished. It's a great fault for a politician to have!
Andy Pullen
Feb 03, 2008 Andy Pullen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves:
Autobiography by George W. Bush, reveals his path to the White House and how God had prepared him to be President. Talks about his reliance on God to help him make decissions about America.
Julie
Sep 08, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
I liked learning more about Bush the person, but this was written as a lead-up to his presidential campaign, and I would have liked to read about his actual presidency.
Isaac
Jun 08, 2010 Isaac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating in hindsight to read the words of the man who wanted to be president. Some valuable insights but mostly just a careful piece of campaign literature.
Tommy Burris
Dec 30, 2012 Tommy Burris rated it it was amazing
As a fan of W I must say I enjoyed this book. I like the way he walks you through his decisions and his reasons for what he did. GREAT BOOK
Tom
Jul 14, 2008 Tom rated it it was ok
I really do not think with hisfamily background that W. was flipping fish in Alaska or selling ping pogs at Sears.
Beth
Jun 04, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
I may be biased because I LOVE "W", but this book made me love him more, and understand him more.
Ellie Revert
Just skimmed it. Realized I would prefer to read about him--if at all--by an objective outsider.
Katie
Oct 07, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
worth reading, nothing if not compelling.
Tracy
Kate
Oct 20, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it
Scary.
Pierre Ber
Pierre Ber rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Lexi Carter
Lexi Carter marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Tony Miller
Tony Miller rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
  • Saving Freedom: We Can Stop America's Slide into Socialism
  • The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals
  • Never Again: Securing America and Restoring Justice
  • Heaven on Earth: The Rise and Fall of Socialism
GEORGE W. BUSH is the 43rd President of the United States, serving from 2001 to 2009. He previously served as Governor of Texas. He and his wife, Laura, now live in Dallas, where they founded the George W. Bush Presidential Center at Southern Methodist University. President Bush is the author of 41: A Portrait of My Father and his previous book, Decision Points, is the bestselling Presidential mem ...more
More about George W. Bush...